HOUSE OF LORDS
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Die Mercurii 10° Septembris 2003
The House met at half-past two oclock.
PRAYERS were read by the Lord Bishop of Peterborough.
1. Command PapersThe following papers were presented to the House by command of Her Majesty and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Regional DifferencesGovernment Response to the Report of the House of Commons Select Committee on the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister on Reducing Regional Disparities in Prosperity; (5958)
2. HealthGovernment Response to the Third Report of the House of Commons Health Select Committee on Sexual Health; (5959)
2. Affirmative InstrumentThe following instrument was laid before the House for approval by resolution and ordered to lie on the Table:
Child Support (Miscellaneous Amendments) (No. 2) Regulations 2003, laid under the Child Support Act 1991, together with an Explanatory Memorandum.
3. Negative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Medicines (Child Safety) Regulations 2003, laid under the Medicines Act 1968; (2317)
2. Smoke Control Areas (Exempted Fireplaces) (England) Order 2003, laid under the Clean Air Act 1993; (2328)
3. Food (Star Anise from Third Countries) (Emergency Control) (England) (Revocation) Order 2003, laid under the Food Safety Act 1990; (2338)
4. (i) Social Security (Incapacity) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2003 (2262)
(ii) Social Security (Miscellaneous Amendments) (No. 2) Regulations 2003 (2279)
(iii) Social Security (Contributions) (Amendment No. 6) Regulations 2003 (2340)
laid under the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992;
5. (i) Delayed Discharges (Mental Health Care) (England) Order 2003 (2276)
(ii) Delayed Discharges (England) Regulations 2003 (2277)
laid under the Community Care (Delayed Discharges etc.) Act 2003;
6. Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner Act 2002 (Power to Call for Witnesses and Documents) (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) Order 2003, laid under the Scotland Act 1998. (2278)
4. Paper not subject to parliamentary proceedingsThe following paper was laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
Accounts for 2002-03 of the General Social Care Council, laid under the Care Standards Act 2000, together with the Report of the Comptroller and Auditor General.
Select Committee Report
5. Delegated Powers and Regulatory ReformThe following report from the Select Committee was made and ordered to be printed:
24th Report, on the following bills:
Health and Social Care (Community Health and Standards) Bill
Northern Ireland (Monitoring Commission etc.) Bill [HL]
Legal Deposit Libraries Bill
Household Waste Recycling Bill
Female Genital Mutilation Bill
Anti-social Behaviour BillGovernment Response
Fireworks BillGovernment Response. (HL Paper 163)
6. Human Fertilisation and Embryology (Deceased Fathers) BillThe order of commitment was discharged.
7. Local Government BillThe Queens consent was signified; the bill was read a third time; amendments were agreed to; further amendments were agreed to (see division lists 1 to 3); amendments were disagreed to (see division lists 4 to 7); amendments were moved and (by leave of the House) withdrawn; then the bill was passed and returned to the Commons with amendments.
8. Extradition BillThe bill was reported from the Grand Committee with amendments; it was ordered that the bill be printed as amended. (HL Bill 104)
9. European Union (Accessions) BillThe House resolved itself into a Committee upon the bill; an amendment was agreed to; the House was resumed and the bill was reported with an amendment; it was ordered that the bill be printed as amended. (HL Bill 103)
The House was adjourned during pleasure.
The House was resumed.
10. Fire Services BillThe report was received; amendments were moved and (by leave of the House) withdrawn; further consideration on report was adjourned after amendment 10.
The House was adjourned at six minutes past midnight in the morning of
Thursday 11th September till later the same day, eleven oclock.
Clerk of the Parliaments
PROCEEDINGS OF THE GRAND COMMITTEE (IN COMMITTEE ROOMS 3A AND 4B)
The Committee met at half-past three oclock.
Extradition BillThe bill was further considered in the Grand Committee; amendments were moved and (by leave of the Committee) withdrawn; amendments were agreed to; the questions that certain clauses stand part of the bill were negatived; it was ordered that the bill be reported with amendments.
The Committee was adjourned at four minutes before seven oclock.