HOUSE OF LORDS
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Die Martis 25° Martii 2003
The House met at half-past two oclock.
PRAYERS were read by the Lord Bishop of Manchester.
1. In re McFarland (AP) (Appellant) (Northern Ireland)The appeal of William McFarland was presented and it was ordered that in accordance with Standing Order VI the statement and appendix thereto be lodged on or before 6th May next (lodged 20th March).
2. Appeal CommitteeThe 36th Report from the Appeal Committee was agreed to and the following Order was made
Cowan (Petitioner) v. Cowan (Respondent)That the petition, praying that the order of the House of 19th November 2001 be vacated and that leave to appeal be granted, be refused.
3. Appeal CommitteeThe 37th Report from the Appeal Committee was agreed to and the following Order was made
Lambert (Respondent) v. Lambert (Petitioner)That leave to appeal be refused; that the respondent be at liberty to apply for her costs in accordance with direction 5.1(d); and, if the application is granted, that the amount thereof be certified by the Clerk of the Parliaments if not agreed between the parties.
4. Negative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Local Government Boundary Commission for Wales (Accounts, Audit and Reports) Order 2003, laid under the Government of Wales Act 1998; (749)
2. Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2003, laid under the Local Government Finance Act 1992; (768)
3. Entry Level Agri-Environment Scheme (Pilot) (England) Regulations 2003, laid under the Environment Act 1995; (838)
4. Community Legal Service (Funding) (Amendment No. 2) Order 2003, laid under the Access to Justice Act 1999. (851)
5. Papers not subject to parliamentary proceedingsThe following papers were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General for Northern Ireland: Areas of Special Scientific Interest, laid under the Northern Ireland Act 2000;
2. Third Report for 2002-03 of the Health Service Commissioner for England on Investigations Completed August-November 2002, laid under the Health Service Commissioners Act 1993.
Select Committee Reports
6. Statutory InstrumentsThe 15th Report from the Joint Committee was made on certain statutory instruments, including the following affirmative instruments:
Draft Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Modification) Order 2003;
Draft Representation of the People (Northern Ireland) (Variation of Specified Documents) Regulations 2003;
Draft Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Procedure) Rules 2003;
Draft Code of Practice on Time Off for Trade Union Duties and Activities 2003;
it was ordered that the Report be printed. (HL Paper 78)
7. European UnionThe following Reports from the Select Committee were made and ordered to be printed:
Future of Europe: Social Europe, together with the Minutes of Evidence; (14th Report-HL Paper 79)
Future of Europe: Convention Working Group-Reports on Defence and External Action, together with the Minutes of Evidence. (15th Report-HL Paper 80)
8. Public Services (Disruption) Bill [HL]The bill was read a third time and passed and sent to the Commons.
9. Health (Wales) BillThe bill was read a third time and passed.
10. Communications BillIt was moved by the Baroness Blackstone that the bill be now read a second time; after debate, the motion was agreed to.
The House was adjourned at twenty-two minutes past eleven oclock
till tomorrow, half-past two oclock.