8 April 2003
By the Select Committee appointed to consider European
Union documents and other matters relating to the European Union.
ORDERED TO REPORT
EVIDENCE BY THE MINISTER FOR EUROPE, FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH
OFFICE ON EUROPEAN SECURITY AND DEFENCE POLICY SCRUTINY, THE
GENERAL AFFAIRS AND EXTERNAL RELATIONS COUNCIL OF 18-19 MARCH
2003 AND THE CURRENT STATE OF COMMON FOREIGN AND SECURITY POLICY
1. Our Review of Scrutiny of European Legislation
undertook to conduct more regular scrutiny of the Council.
In particular we agreed that Sub-Committee C would take ministerial
evidence after each General Affairs and External Relations Council.
To this end the Minister for Europe was invited to give evidence
on the General Affairs and External Relations Council held on 18-19
2. The Committee took this opportunity to obtain
information from the Minister on the process of scrutinising European
Security and Defence Policy (ESDP) and on the state of the Common
Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP) following recent events relating
to the war in Iraq.
3. Accordingly, in this Report we make available,
for the information of the House, the oral evidence given to us
by Dr Denis MacShane MP, Minister for Europe.
4. The key topics in the evidence are:
- ESDP scrutiny procedures QQ 1-15.
- General Affairs and External Relations Council, 18-19 March
- CFSP QQ23-65.
5. Other specific topics:
- Attitudes in the United States towards Europe Q60.
- A single representative for External Commissioner and High
- CFSP and the Middle East QQ 28-29, 47.
- Consequences of NATO Article 5 for ESDP QQ 50-58.
- European attitudes to the United States QQ 28-29, 59, 65.
- European military capability QQ43-44.
- Franco-German submission to the Convention on extending QMV
to foreign policy
- Geographical limitations to CFSP QQ 45- 47, 53.
- Humanitarian Aid for Iraq QQ 16-22.
- QMV on foreign policy QQ 60-64.
- Scrutiny procedures for ESDP QQ 1-3.
- Scrutiny of ESDP documents which have been classified QQ
- Statement on the General Affairs and External Relations Council
- The Convention on the Future of Europe and CFSP QQ23-27,
- The media and foreign policy QQ 48-49.
- The timescale for repairing CFSP following divisions over
1 1st Report, Session 2002-03, HL Paper
15 paragraphs 111, 204. Back