House of Lords
Publications on the internet
Other Bills before Parliament
Amendments to the Race Relations (Amendment) Bill
|Race Relations (Amendment) Bill - |
Amendments to be debated in the House of Lords
Here you can browse the Amendments to the Race Relations (Amendment) Bill to be moved on Report in the House of Lords.
BY THE LORD LESTER OF HERNE HILL
|Page 1, line 9, leave out from ("a") to ("to") in line 11 and insert ("public authority")|
|Page 1, leave out lines 13 and 14|
|Page 1, leave out lines 15 to 17|
|Page 1, leave out lines 18 to 20|
|Page 1, leave out lines 21 to 24|
|Page 1, line 25, leave out from beginning to end of line 10 on page 2|
|Page 2, leave out lines 11 to 15|
|Page 2, line 25, leave out ("and nationality")|
|Page 2, line 25, at end insert ("in accordance with the Immigration Rules")|
Page 3, line 15, leave out subsection (2) and insert--|
("(2) After section 78(2) of the 1976 Act (interpretation) there is inserted--
Before Clause 8
BY THE LORD LESTER OF HERNE HILL
|Insert the following new Clause--|
|(" .--(1) For section 71 of the Race Relations Act 1976 there shall be substituted--||General duty on public authorities.|
|General duty on public authorities.||71.--(1) Without prejudice to its obligation to comply with any other provision of this Act, a public authority specified in Schedule A1 or of a description falling within that Schedule shall in carrying out its varied functions have due regard to the need--|
| (2) Where an entry in Schedule A1 is limited to a person in a particular capacity, this section does not apply to that person in any other capacity.|
(3) Where an entry in Schedule A1 is limited to particular functions of a person, this section does not apply to that person in relation to any other functions.
(4) The Secretary of State may by order amend Schedule A1 so as to extend the application of this section if he considers that the extension is limited to functions or particular functions of a public nature.
(5) The Secretary of State may by order amend Schedule A1 in consequence of
| (6) An order under this section may contain such incidental, supplementary or consequential provision as the Secretary of State considers appropriate (including provision amending or repealing provision made by or under an enactment).|
(7) The compliance of each public authority to which this section applies with the requirements of this section shall be subject to inspection and appraisal in accordance with regulations to be made by the Secretary of State.
(8) The power conferred by subsection (7) on the Secretary of State is exercisable only after consultation with the Commission for Racial Equality and such other bodies or persons as the Secretary of State may consider appropriate in the particular case.
(9) If it appears to the Commission for Racial Equality that a public authority to which this section applies has failed to take appropriate steps to comply with this section, the Commission may apply to a designated county court or sheriff court for an order requiring it to take such steps; and the court, if satisfied that the application is well-founded, may grant the order in the terms applied for or in more limited terms."")
|© Parliamentary copyright 2000||Prepared 2 February 2000|