House of Lords
Publications on the internet
Other Bills before Parliament
Amendments to the House of Lords Bill
|House of Lords Bill - |
Amendments to be debated in the House of Lords
Here you can browse the Amendment to the House of Lords Bill to be moved on Report in the House of Lords.
After Clause 1
BY THE LORD PEARSON OF RANNOCH
|Insert the following new Clause--||Membership of the House of Lords.|
| (" .--(1) From the day on which this Act comes into force, the members of the House of Lords who shall be entitled to sit and vote in that House shall be--
(3) From the day on which this Act comes into force--
|(i) all peers who would have been entitled to receive a writ of summons by virtue of the Life Peerages Act 1958 to attend the House of Lords but for the passing of this Act, and|
(ii) all peers who have been members of that House under subsection (1)(e) for a period of 5 years,
|shall be entitled to sit, but not to vote, in proceedings in that House.|
(4) The members of the House under subsection (1)(c) shall be comprised of not more than--
(7) Standing Orders of the House of Lords shall make provision relating to the holding and conduct of elections under this section, and that such elections shall be held at intervals of 7 years.
(8) Subject to subsection (10), the Lord Chancellor may by order made by statutory instrument amend any number specified in subsection (4), but only to give effect to a resolution of the House of Lords.
(9) An order under subsection (8) shall be laid in draft before, and shall be subject to the affirmative resolution of, each House of Parliament.
(10) The two political parties with the largest number of seats in the House of Commons shall be entitled to equal representation in the House of Lords.
(11) Any question whether a person is elected under this section shall be decided by the Clerk of the Parliaments.")
|© Parliamentary copyright 1999||Prepared 28 May 1999|