HOUSE OF LORDS
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Die Mercurii 8° Julii 1998
The House met at half-past two oclock.
PRAYERS were read by the Lord Bishop of Manchester.
1. McFarlane and another (A.P.) (Respondents) v. Tayside Health Board (Appellants) (Scotland) The appeal was set down for hearing and referred to an Appellate Committee.
2. Regina v. Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (Appellants) ex parte Lawrie Plantation Services Limited (Respondents) The petition of the appellants praying that the time for lodging the statement and appendix and setting down the cause for hearing might be extended to 17th August next or to the third sitting day after the next ensuing meeting of the House (the agents for the respondents consenting thereto) was presented; and it was ordered as prayed.
3. Regina v. Secretary of State for the Home Department (Respondent) ex parte Khan (A.P.) (Petitioner) The petitioners legal aid certificate was lodged.
4. Command PapersThe following papers were presented to the House by command of Her Majesty and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Shipping1994 Amendments to the Annex to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974; (3997)
2. Judicial StatisticsJudicial Statistics for England and Wales for 1997; (3980)
3. DefenceThe Strategic Defence Review: Government proposals. (3999)
5. Negative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Moray House Institute of Education (Closure) (Scotland) Order 1998, laid under the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992; (1644)
2. Local Government Act 1988 (Defined Activities) (Exemptions) (Dacorum, Hertsmere and Luton Borough Councils) Order 1998, laid under the Local Government Act 1988; (1586)
3. Protection of Wrecks (Designation No. 1) Order 1998, laid under the Protection of Wrecks Act 1973; (1650)
4. Sheep and Goats Spongiform Encephalopathy Regulations 1998, laid under the European Communities Act 1972; (1646)
5. Sheep and Goats Spongiform Encephalopathy (Compensation) Order 1998, laid under the Animal Health Act 1981. (1647)
6. Papers not subject to parliamentary proceedingsThe following papers were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Sixth Report of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration, laid under the Parliamentary Commissioner Act 1967;
2. Report and Accounts for 1997-98 of the Gaming Board for Great Britain, together with the Report of the Comptroller and Auditor General, laid under the Gaming Act 1968;
3. Accounts for 1997-98 of the Nature Conservancy Council for England, together with the Report of the Comptroller and Auditor General, laid under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
7. Scotland BillThe House resolved itself into a Committee upon the bill; an amendment was moved and (by leave of the Committee) withdrawn; the House was resumed for a statement; the House again resolved itself into a Committee upon the bill; amendments were moved and (by leave of the Committee) withdrawn; the House was resumed.
8. Channel Tunnel links to the North WestThe Lord Inglewood asked Her Majestys Government what steps they are taking to ensure that the North West of England is not disadvantaged by their proposals for the rail links to the Channel Tunnel; after debate, the question was answered by the Baroness Hayman.
The House was adjourned during pleasure.
The House was resumed.
9. Scotland BillThe House again resolved itself into a Committee upon the bill; amendments were moved and (by leave of the Committee) withdrawn; the House was resumed after clause 3 stood part.
The House was adjourned at eleven oclock
till tomorrow, three oclock.