Examination of witnesses (Questions 140
WEDNESDAY 20 MAY 1998
140. Does this process include the European
Environment Agency as well?
A. I have two
projects where I co-operate closely with the EEA.
141. But they will be involved in policy
setting, priority setting, the drafting of the new proposal?
A. I could not
really say. Maybe because EEA is, as I see it, a kind of agency
under DGXI so it would probably be the responsibility of DGXI
to consult in that case.
Earl of Lindsay: I
think the EEA would disagree; they are not under DGXI.
142. They are an autonomous body. What are
the two projects that you are involved with?
A. With the EEA?
A. We have a
project where we have assisted the EEA in the drafting of what
we call the Dobris +3 report.
144. Which we are looking forward to.
A. And we are
actually assisting a few of the NIS countries in going through
data concerning their country if it has been correct and also
new data collection and so forth in order to compile the statistics.
145. How many NIS countries are going to
be in the new Dobris report because it was voluntary.
A. I think it
is seven of the NIS countries. It would be the Caucasus and the
146. The European bits of it.
A. Then we also
have another project in trying to establish more long-term co-operation
between the EEA and the NIS in harmonising some of the data collection
on the environment and also on statistics and so forth.
147. It is very important that we have comparable
148. Good. We have given you a hard time.
We are very grateful to you. I do not know whether we will see
you in Brussels next month?
A. It is possible,
149. How many task managers are there?
A. In TACIS in
total for all different areas?
150. Yes, roughly. They only had four in
the PHARE programme.
A. Four for environment?
151. When we looked at the PHARE programme.
A. For environment
I am the only person working full time at the moment and then
there are a few more task managers working partly on environment
so there is one in the Russian division, one in the Ukrainian
152. So they are on a country basis rather
than on a sort of thematic basis?
Chairman: Okay, thank
you, very much indeed.