S.I. 2003/830: memorandum from the Home
Police (Revocation of Secretary of State's Objectives)
Order 2003 (S.I. 2003/830)
96. The purpose of this memorandum is to explain
why there has been a delay in the laying of the above Order.
97. Section 37 of the Police Act 1996 enables
the Secretary of State to determine objectives for the policing
of police areas in England and Wales. Objectives were determined
and set out in the Police (Secretary of State's Objectives) Order
2002 (S.I. 2002/695). Orders under section 37 of the Police
Act 1996 must be laid before Parliament but are not subject to
any further procedure.
98. Policing objectives are, from 1 April 2003,
set out in the National Policing Plan made under section 36A of
the Police Act 1996 (inserted by section 1 of the Police Reform
Act 2002). Accordingly it was decided to revoke, with effect from
1 April 2003, the existing objectives contained in the 2002 Order.
99. The above named Order was signed by the Minister
on 24 February 2003. Regrettably due to an administrative oversight
the Order was not laid promptly.
100. The Home Office apologises for this error.
24 th March 2003