(b) provision for the time limits so specified to be applied to the taking of those steps and to the meeting of those targets;
(c) provision for the making of progress reports about the implementation of the action plan to the Secretary of State and to the NCIS Service Authority;
(d) provision as to the times at which, and the manner in which, any progress report is to be made; and
(e) provision for the duration of the plan and for it to cease to apply in the circumstances determined by the Secretary of State.
(8) Nothing in this section shall authorise the Secretary of State to direct the inclusion in an action plan of any requirement to do or not to do anything in a particular case identified for the purposes of the requirement, or in relation to a particular person so identified.
(9) Before submitting or resubmitting an action plan to the Secretary of State in accordance with a direction under this section, the Director General of NCIS shall consult the NCIS Service Authority.
(10) In this section references, in relation to a case in which there is already an action plan in force, to the submission or resubmission of a plan to the Secretary of State include references to the submission or resubmission or revisions of the existing plan; and the preceding provisions of this section shall have effect accordingly.
(11) The Director General of NCIS shall comply with any direction given to him under this section.
(12) If the Secretary of State exercises his power to give a direction under this section—
(a) he shall prepare a report on his exercise of that power;
(b) he shall lay a copy of that report before Parliament; and
(c) he shall send a copy of that report to the Scottish Ministers.
(13) The Scottish Ministers shall lay any copy of a report sent to them under subsection (12) before the Scottish Parliament.
(14) A report under subsection (12)—
(a) shall be prepared at such time as the Secretary of State considers appropriate; and
(b) may relate to more than one exercise of the power mentioned in that subsection.
(15) In this section 'an inspection report' means a report under section 54 of the Police Act 1996 (c.16), section 33 of the Police (Scotland) Act 1967 (c.77) or section 41 of the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 1998 (c.32).''
(2) After section 76 there shall be inserted—
''76A Power to give directions to Director General of NCS
(1) This section applies where the Secretary of State (whether in consequence of a report under section 54 of the Police Act 1996 (c.16) or otherwise) is satisfied—
(a) that the whole or any part of the National Crime Squad is, whether generally or in particular respects, not efficient or not effective; or
(b) that the whole or a part of the National Crime Squad will cease to be efficient or effective, whether generally or in particular respects, unless remedial measures are taken.
(2) The Secretary of State may direct the Director General of the National Crime Squad to prepare and submit to the Secretary of State a plan ('an action plan') for taking remedial measures in relation to anything that the Secretary of State considers relevant to the matters as to which he is satisfied as mentioned in subsection (1).
(3) An action plan prepared in accordance of a direction under this section shall not relate to any matters other than those in relation to which functions fall to be discharged by the Director General of the National Crime Squad.
(4) On considering an action plan submitted to him in accordance with a direction under this section, the Secretary of State may direct the Director General of the National Crime Squad—
(a) to revise that plan in accordance with the directions of the Secretary of State; and
(b) to resubmit the plan to him with the required revisions;