1903. W. J. Morley and Sons, architects. A large
sandstone ashlar four-storey block built for the Methodists. The
elevations designed in a mixture of Jacobean and Renaissance details
popular in Bradford for public buildings at the turn of the century.
Panelled pilasters articulate the front on each floor between
moulded sill courses. Elaborate segmental and triangular pediments
over center lights of tripartite dormers, baluster shafts dividing
the lights. Tripartite mullioned windows to main floors.
Shop fronts on ground floor. The central entrance
bay has a large segmental portal (elaborate partly leaded glazing
to upper part) rising into first floor with oriel bay window above.
Corbelled pinnacled buttresses flank this upper level and rising
above the parapet, decorated with urns, is a graceful octagonal
drum with archivolt lights and Ionic columns supporting a copper
dome with crowning lantern. The dome makes an important contribution
to the skyline of the Vicar Lane area. Long range extending back
along Chapel Street with mullioned windows and gables.