Memorandum by Dotted Eyes (OS 08)
1. Dotted Eyes is a partnership, based in
the Midlands, specialising in Geographical Information Systems
(GIS) and digital mapping.
2. I am a partner of Dotted Eyes and was
responsible for founding the organisation in 1989. There are now
14 people in the organisation.
3. Our clients include Government and Local
Authority clients, as well as businesses in a variety of different
4. We have had a reseller agreement with
Ordnance Survey since 1998. At present we have two Licensed Partner
agreements, one covering the Business Geographics portfolio of
data products and the other covering the Detailed Datasets products.
5. We are negotiating to have further Licensed
Partner agreements, covering the ADDRESS-POINT data product and
the OS MasterMap data product released in November. These agreements,
which we have not seen at the time of writing, may contain different
terms and conditions and could potentially result in some confusion.
6. For 18 months we have been working closely
with Ordnance Survey during the development of the OS MasterMap
product. We have developed a software solution called InterpOSe
to translate and process this product into a form that can be
used by GIS applications. This solution is currently one of very
few on the market that enable the data product to be used.
7. We have some awareness of the cost of
updating and maintaining databases and the effect of new technology
8. Our experience does not extend to copyright
charging, the current pricing model's effect on planning appeals
or licence fees for guide books, nor the provision of maps for
electioneering, the funding of this, and the Data Protection implications.