PUBLIC CONSULTATION ON THE BRIEF FOR THE
The consultation on the draft brief for the
masterplan asked people to comment on the extent to which the
brief met the arts needs, the needs of audiences, visitors and
the local community and the planning sensitivities.
Some 13,000 popular versions of the brief were
distributed to artists, audiences, visitors and local residents.
Six Citizen's Workshops were organised with
each workshop comprising audiences, visitors and local residents
Consultations were also held with national arts
and architectural journalists.
This process provided the People's Eight Priorities
for the South Bank. These were:
1. An integrated, high quality arts and cultural
experience for all ages, backgrounds and interests.
2. A whole experience which creates a desire
to visit beyond attending a particular performance or venue.
3. A site that makes full use of and incorporates
the riverside location.
4. A visually welcoming site with greenery,
open space and colour.
5. A mix of activity and quiet spaces creating
a flow and balance of movement around the site.
6. A place where people can rove around with
7. Good access from the surrounding area.
8. Equal access and movement for people with