Supplementary memorandum submitted by
Haggerston Pool, Hackney
SWIMMING IN SHOREDITCH SCHOOLS SINCE CLOSURE
OF HAGGERSTON BATHS
Eight local schools removed swimming from the
curriculum. Reasons included:
Cost of arranging transport to other
pools as too far to walk
No space at other pools as absorbing
Five schools no longer have any swimming at
all (a further one could not be contacted to check current status),
one has half the sessions they had when Haggerston Baths open,
two have only just got sessions available to re-introduce, and
on has considerable additional cost to travel to Leyton.
1. Haggerston Girls' Secondary School with
900 pupils: no swimming since the closure. Annual Swimming gala
no longer held.
2. London Fields Primary School: no swimming.
3. St Monica's Primary: re-introduced swimming
in September 2001at Britannia.
4. William Patten Primary: no swimming.
5. St Mary's Primary School: no swimming.
6. Randal Cremer Primary: use the Britannia,
25 minutes walk away which presents problems.
7. Holmleigh Primary School: no swimming.
8. Laburnum Primary School: use Britannia.
9. St John: have to go by bus to Leyton
(about four miles away).
10. Whitmore Primary School: recently introduced
swimming, but half the sessions and have to rotate classes who
get the facility term by term.
11. Burbage Primary School: could not be
contacted in time for this note.
Laburnum Boat Club now incurring additional
cost of £2,000 per annum it can ill afford to bus children
for water safety training in Kings Hall Pool.
6 December 2001