Examination of witnesses (Questions 920
TUESDAY 13 FEBRUARY 2001
920. You have told us that as far as you are
aware the company was involved in the calendars, which may have
been for Keith Vaz directly or it may have been for the agent
network of one kind or another, which was the second calendars.
Is that right?
(Ms Fernandes) Would I have been? Sorry?
921. Aware of the kind of calendars that the
company was involved with.
(Ms Fernandes) I have seen the calendar some years
ago, a pretty ghastly calendar, if I may say so, but I do not
know much more.
922. So beyond that you would not be able to
list the publications which would mention Keith Vaz's name which
were produced by the company pre-1996?
(Ms Fernandes) Pre-1996
923. Say, pre-1997, so you include 1996.
(Ms Fernandes) There is a book which I wrote which
has a dedication but it has only the first name.
924. That is a post-1996 publication?
(Ms Fernandes) No, it is 1995-96.
925. Beyond the dedication there are no other
publications of Mapesbury you are aware of which were linked to
(Ms Fernandes) Not as far as I am aware.
926. If we take the pre-1996 and post-1996 periods,
pre-1996, is it the fact that although you were a director you
took no active part or only a little active part in the company?
(Ms Fernandes) To be honest, I took very little part
in it because I think about that time I just lost my child and
I was involved in other things.
927. Were you the signatory to the company bank
account, for example?
(Ms Fernandes) Yes, I was at some point I think. I
am not sure. I cannot be sure. I think I was.
928. If you were not, who was?
(Ms Fernandes) Mrs Vaz, the secretary.
929. You have mentioned the fact that it was
used for the promotion of the calendars, and cheques were received
by the company for payment for advertisements, is that the position?
(Ms Fernandes) That is right.
930. Were any payments ever received by the
company, to the best of your knowledge and belief, that were for
other than the calendars?
(Ms Fernandes) Pre-1996, I do not think so. I do not
know, to be quite honest, so I think I should say I do not know.
931. What about Mr Vaz's other workradio
work and other public relations type work which he may have been
involved inwas the company used for the receipt of that
(Ms Fernandes) No, not that I am aware of.
932. So was any payment ever made into the company
pre-1996 to your knowledge and belief for the personal benefit
of Mr Vaz?
(Ms Fernandes) Absolutely not, as far as I know.
933. As for the position after 1996, 1997 onwards
when you took on a management rolepresumably not but let
me ask the questiondid you ever publish another calendar?
(Ms Fernandes) No. I have never published
934. It was all just too ghastly, was it?
(Ms Fernandes) I did not.
935. What did you do after that? What was its
main purpose from 1997 onwards?
(Ms Fernandes) There were a number of things. It was
a small company, it was there, I held work on conferences, I did
a book and I did a deal with a publications company to produce
a couple of travel books I think.
936. Did Mr Vaz from that point onyou
have told us what happened before 1996ever have any payments
made into the company which were effectively for his benefit?
(Ms Fernandes) Not as far as I am aware and I believe
you have in your paperwork two certificates from accountants who
have certified that.
937. They would have certified there was nothing
to him directly, was there any indirect benefit he would have
(Ms Fernandes) Like what?
938. For example, payment to the company for
something he would have done personally perhaps?
(Ms Fernandes) No.
939. Nothing like that?
(Ms Fernandes) No, it was all related to work being
done by the company.
Mr Foster: Thank you very much indeed.