HOUSE OF LORDS
MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS
Die Veneris 12° Maii 2000
The House met at eleven oclock.
PRAYERS were read by the Lord Bishop of London.
1. Director General of Fair Trading (Respondent) v. First National Bank plc (Petitioners)The petition of First National Bank plc praying for leave to appeal was presented and referred to an Appeal Committee (lodged 2nd March).
2. Appeal CommitteeThe following Order was made pursuant to the 41st Report:
Hirst (Petitioner) v. Etherington (Respondent) and anotherThat the petition be referred for hearing.
3. Appeal CommitteeThe 45th Report from the Appeal Committee was agreed to and the following Order was made
In re L (A.P.) (Petitioner) (2000)That leave to appeal be refused; that the costs of the petitioner be taxed in accordance with the Legal Aid Act 1988; and that the first respondents be at liberty to apply for their costs in accordance with direction 5.1(c) and if the application is granted, that the amount thereof be certified by the Clerk of the Parliaments if not agreed between the parties.
4. Command PaperThe following paper was presented to the House by command of Her Majesty and ordered to lie on the Table:
Contingent LiabilityMinute by the Department of Transport, Environment and the Regions concerning notification by the Franchising Director (and Chief Executive of the Strategic Rail Authority) of a contingent liability arising from a guarantee he has given to Connex Rail. ()
5. Affirmative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House for approval by resolution and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Draft Local Authority (Stocks and Bonds) (Amendment) Regulations 2000;
2. Draft Uncertificated Securities (Amendment) Regulations 2000.
6. Negative InstrumentsThe following instruments were laid before the House and ordered to lie on the Table:
1. Employment Tribunals Act (Application of Conciliation Provisions) Order 2000, laid under the Employment Tribunals Act 1996; (1299)
2. (i) Recognition and Derecognition Ballots (Qualified Persons) Order 2000 (1306)
(ii) Trade Union Recognition (Method of Collective Bargaining) Order 2000 (1300)
laid under the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992;
3. GLA Roads Designation (Amendment) Order 2000, laid under the Highways Act 1980; (1230)
4. (i) Employment Zones (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2000 (1305)
(ii) Employment Zones (Amendment) Regulations 2000 (1279)
laid under the Welfare Reform Pensions Act 1999;
5. Pet Travel Scheme (Pilot Arrangements) (England) (Amendment) Order 2000, laid under the Animal Health Act 1981. (1298)
7. DefenceIt was moved by the Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean that this House takes note of the Defence White Paper, published in December 1999 (Cm 4446); after debate, the motion was agreed to.
8. Transport BillA bill to make provision about transport was brought from the Commons, read a first time and ordered to be printed. (HL Bill 64)
9. Transport BillIt was ordered that the Explanatory Notes relating to the bill be printed. (HL Bill 64-EN)
10. European Union (Implications of Withdrawal) Bill [HL]The House resolved itself into a Committee upon the bill; amendments were agreed to; the House was resumed and the bill was reported with amendments; it was ordered that the bill be printed as amended. (HL Bill 65)
The House was adjourned at twenty-seven minutes past five oclock
to Monday next, half-past two oclock.