EXAMPLES OF TRIGGERS[TO BE UPDATED]
The following examples of triggers indicate either
a failure of process or a failure of substance.
Failure of process:
- Failure to consult or to consult adequately as
identified by the external auditor.
- Failure to produce a best value performance plan,
or a failure to include any of the prescribed elements within
- Failure to agree, publish, or carry out a programme
of fundamental performance reviews in compliance with the statutory
- Unreasonable neglect of alternative options for
service provision when conducting performance reviews.
- Failure to set performance targets or publish
details of performance against them.
- Failure to set performance targets, which, in
the opinion of the external auditor are sufficiently challenging.
- Failure to publish details of how performance
compares with that of others.
- Failure to publish performance information as
prescribed (in respect of content, form or timing).
- Failure to make adequate information available
to local people about the comparative performance of other bodies.
Failure of substance:
- Failure to meet any single nationally prescribed
standard of performance.
- Failure to meet any locally set target for performance
(or a second failure where the first was marginal).
- Persistently high unit costs (by comparison with
other councils) which are not satisfactorily accounted for by
higher quality service or greater level of need.
- Failure to improve service standards or a deterioration
- Failure to draw up and implement an action plan
following a critical inspection report.