Memorandum from the Lord Chancellor's
NO. 2) 2002
1. The Committee considered the above instrument
at its meeting on 25th June 2002 and has requested a memorandum
on the following points:
Given that the 1980 Rules have been amended on
more than 50 occasions -
(1) does the Department intend to consolidate
the Rules as amended?
(2) is there any publication generally available
which sets out the 1980 Rules as amended.
2. The Northern Ireland Court Service has no plans
to consolidate the Rules of the Supreme Court (Northern Ireland)
1980. However, the Rules were originally made available in a loose-leaf
format so that when amendments are made these are published as
supplements to be inserted into the loose-leaf binder. This allows
an up to date version of the Rules to be easily maintained.
3. The Northern Ireland Court Service is also working
with Her Majesty's Stationery Office on a complete reprint of
the rules to include all amendments to date. Again this will be
made available in the loose-leaf format.