Previous Section Index Home Page

17 Dec 2002 : Column 700W—continued


Dr. Evan Harris: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will place in the Library a copy of the full report on the assessment by the Transport Research Laboratory of the controlled motorway project on the M25. [87268]

Mr. Jamieson: A full report on the assessment of the controlled motorway project on the M25 is expected to be placed in the Library in late autumn 2003.

Rail Services (Northern England)

Andy Burnham: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport (1) what plans he has to improve the rail services between Liverpool and Manchester serving parts of the Wigan borough; [87245]

Mr. Jamieson: Wigan is currently served by the First North Western franchise. The SRA is planning to combine services currently operated by First North Western and Arriva Trains Northern to form new Transpennine Express (TPE) and Northern franchises. TPE will run inter-city services across the north, including between Liverpool and Manchester. Northern will operate rural and urban services. The SRA expects to issue documentation about the structure of the Northern franchise early in 2003.

Information about the franchise replacement programme and the composition of franchises can be found on the Strategic Rail Authority's website at

Andy Burnham: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what consultation he plans to have with hon. Members on the structure of the new franchise for services and stations in the north of England. [87640]

Mr. Jamieson: It is primarily for the Strategic Rail Authority to determine the structure of franchises. As a matter of course, the Authority consults during the replacement process—including with local authorities, Passenger Transport Executives, RegionalAssemblies and the Rail Passengers Committees.

17 Dec 2002 : Column 701W

Railways (Arson)

Mr. Don Foster: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how many incidences of arson on the railways there were in each year since 1995, broken down by (a) train operating company and (b) line. [87629]

Mr. Jamieson: The Health and Safety Executive's Annual Report on the safety record of the railways in Great Britain contains details of arson on the railways. Copies are available from the House Libraries. The 2001–02 report will be published on 18 December 2002.

The HSE is unable to provide information on the train operating company and line involved in arson incidences, as these details are not recorded as part of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, 1995 (RIDDOR).

Road Transport

Mr. Swayne: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what progress he has made in implementing the Government's 10-year transport plan in respect of road transport. [85918]

Mr. Jamieson: The Secretary of State is today publishing a progress report that sets out the progress that has been made with road transport. A copy of the report will be placed in the House Library.

Road Maintenance

Mr. Rendel: If he will make a statement on the role of his Department in tackling the backlog of road maintenance on the road network. [85926]

Mr. Jamieson: There is no backlog in maintenance on the motorway and trunk road network.

The Government are committed to halting the deterioration in local road condition by 2004, and to eliminating the backlogs in carriageway, footway, bridge and street lighting maintenance by 2010. Over #30 billion for local road maintenance is being provided over the timescale of the 10 Year Transport Plan, 23 per cent. more in real terms than the previous 10 years.

Maritime Control Agency

Miss McIntosh: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will list the seagoing qualifications and experience, including period in command of vessels on international voyages, of each individual named on the job structure accompanying the Maritime Control Agency's Business Plan 2002–03 and Forward Look. [87566]

Mr. Jamieson: It would be inappropriate to list individual civil servants and their qualifications. However, of the individuals named on the organisational chart accompanying the MCA Business Plan 2002–03, there are:

17 Dec 2002 : Column 702W

Between them they have approximately 150 years of seagoing experience.


Ross Cranston: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will make a statement on the requirements placed on potential operators of light tramway systems in obtaining a licence to operate on little-used railway branch lines with special reference to the Stourbridge to Stourbridge Junction line. [87307]

Mr. Jamieson: Where a light rail or tram scheme is proposed which would need to share track access with the heavy rail network, it will need to satisfy the requirements of relevant railway group standards (save in the case of the Great Central Railway). Where the line is no longer used for heavy rail, however, HMRI would be the sole approval body as with other tramway schemes.

I understand that it is proposed that the Parry People Mover will operate on shared track between Stourbridge junction and Stourbridge town centre. For this to be permissible it would need to meet Railway Group standards.

British Transport Police

Mr. Heath: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what discussions he has had with train operating companies on additional funding for British Transport Police since 11 September 2001. [87101]

Mr. Jamieson [holding answer 16 December 2002]: There have been no discussions between the Secretary of State for Transport and the train operating companies, but the Secretary of State has discussed policing matters with the Chief Constable of the British Transport Police.

Mr. Heath: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how many uniformed officers are deployed to police the London Underground system. [87102]

Mr. Jamieson [holding answer 16 December 2002]: The deployment of the British Transport Police (BTP) is an operational matter for the Chief Constable. The BTP have advised me that they have budgeted for a total of 471 officers within their London Underground area, and that 413 of these are allocated to uniformed duties. 383 uniformed officers are currently deployed to police the London Underground.



John Barrett: To ask the Secretary of State for International Development what progress she has made with HIV/AIDS education within African school curriculum projects supported by her Department. [87170]

Clare Short: DFID is working with development partners to ensure that HIV is mainstreamed throughout education systems, plans and interventions in all African countries where we are providing education support. This includes working directly with

17 Dec 2002 : Column 703W

Ministries of Education to ensure that school curricula address HIV and AIDS in a manner that is gender-sensitive and relevant to students.

We are also making progress by piloting targeted school-based HIV prevention programmes—the Nigeria Extended Life Planning Education Project is one such initiative.

DFID is also supporting innovative programmes in Southern Africa, using multiple media such as radio drama, pamphlets and cartoon books to communicate about HIV prevention. We are supporting Soul City on a regional initiative to provide materials on HIV/AIDS to all 12 to 16-year-olds in Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho and Swaziland.

Republic of the Congo

John Barrett: To ask the Secretary of State for International Development what funds the Government of the Republic of Congo has made available for (a) prevention and (b) treatment of HIV/AIDS. [87169]

Clare Short: We have no current information on the level of funding being made available by the Government for the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS.

Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative

Dr. Tonge: To ask the Secretary of State for International Development how many meetings she has had with (a) companies, (b) governments and (c) new governmental organisations regarding the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative since the World Summit on Sustainable Development. [87212]

Clare Short: The Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative team hosted the first UK stakeholders' meeting on 26 November. Forty participants attended with approximately equal representation from extractive companies, investors, international agencies, NGOs and other UK Government departments.

Many other bilateral meetings have taken place with other Government officials, companies and NGOs to raise awareness of the initiative. In addition, the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative was presented at the launch workshop of the World bank's research into the Governance of Natural Resources, held in Paris, 9–10 December.

An international meeting will take place on 11–12 February to draw in wider, international support for the initiative and to discuss the substance of mechanisms to make transparency a reality. This will be followed by a ministerial-level conference in April 2003.

Dr. Tonge: To ask the Secretary of State for International Development pursuant to her answer to the hon. Member for Lancaster and Wyre (Mr. Dawson) of 2 December 2002, Official Report, column 530W, if she will list the principles underpinning the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative. [87221]

17 Dec 2002 : Column 704W

Clare Short: The draft principles adopted by the stakeholders meeting which we hosted on 26 November are as follows:

Next Section Index Home Page