Letter to Mrs Mary Matin from the Parliamentary
Commissioner for Standards
I am currently investigating complaints concerning
Mr Vaz and I need to ask you to provide me with some factual information
so that I can check information which has been provided to me.
My questions do not imply that there has been any wrongdoing on
the part of anyone. They are necessary so that I may correctly
inform the Standards and Privileges Committee of the House of
Commons of the facts.
You may prefer to answer my questions in person and,
if so, please telephone my office so that we can arrange a convenient
time for a meeting.
Please would you let me know the following:
1. I have been informed that you were at
one time employed by Mr & Mrs Vaz. Is this correct? If so,
please give me the dates of your employment and the capacity in
which you were employed.
2. Did you know Mrs Rita Gresty?
3. If so, what information did you give
Mrs Gresty about your employment arrangements?
4. What information did you give to Mrs
Gresty about the whereabouts of your passport?
5. Did Mr Vaz ever keep your passport in
his Leicester office? If so, why did he do so?
6. Did you ever do office work for Mrs Vaz
(Maria Fernandes)? If so, please describe what you did, where
you did it, and the dates you were employed in the office.
7. What was your immigration status in Britain
in 1997, 1998 and 1999?
8. Did you ever indicate to either Mr or
Mrs Vaz that there was any doubt about or problem with your immigration
status? Did either Mr or Mrs Vaz ever ask you about this?
9. Were you ever in danger of being deported
as an illegal immigrant? How was this resolved?
10. Did Mr Vaz, and/or Mrs Vaz (Ms Fernandes),
ever assist you in relation to your immigration status or residency
in Britain? If so, please give details of Mr Vaz or Mrs Vaz's
involvement in the matter.
11. Please give me any other information you
feel will provide me with a full and accurate account of these
May I thank you in advance for your help.
PS: This is a copy of a letter which I sent to you
at your previous address, dated 10 September. Since have not heard
from you I assume it did not reach you.
25 September 2001