WHITE PAPER PROPOSALS
The Role of the House of Lords
* The Lords' most important function will continue to be as a revising chamber for legislation (White Paper, para 21)
* It also has a role in holding Ministers to account, and in debating public issues (paras 20, 22)
* Ministers should continue to be appointed from the Lords in broadly their present numbers (para 23)
* There is no case for giving specific new functions to the House of Lords (para 24).
The powers of the House of Lords
* There is no need to change the statutory basis of the second chamber's powers in relation to primary legislation (para 30)
* The House of Lords should lose its power of veto in relation to subordinate legislation, instead gaining a power to delay a Statutory Instrument for up to 3 months (paras 3132).
* The current life peers should remain for life, but with provision to retire (para 95).