House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001-02
Publications on the internet
The Order Book

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on Tuesday 13 November 2001

Here you can browse the Written Questions for answer on Tuesday 13 November, of which previous notice has been given in the Notices of Questions paper. They are arranged in alphabetical order of answering Department.

Notes:
* Indicates a Question for Oral Answer.
+ Indicates a Question not included in the random selection process but accepted because the quota for that day had not been filled.
[N] Indicates a Question for Written Answer on a named day, i.e. the Member has indicated under S.O. No. 22(4) the day on which he wishes the Question to be answered.
[R] Indicates that a relevant interest has been declared.
 


 
TUESDAY 13th NOVEMBER
1  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14772)
2  
  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, if she will make a statement on the decision of the BBC not to televise Holocaust Memorial Day 2002.
(14720)
3  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, if she will make a statement on her policy towards 2001/C193/17, extending Council Directive 93/7/EEC on the return of cultural objects unlawfully removed from the territory of a member state; and what assessment she has made of its impact on holdings in British museums.
(14832)
4  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, if she will make a statement on her plans for the 2003 European Year of People with Disabilities.
(14831)
5  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, on what date her Department established a working group of officials to prepare her Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14767)
6  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will make a statement on the progress of Exercise Saif Sareea II in Oman; and how successful it has been in developing the United Kingdom's Joint Rapid Reaction Force.
(13512)
7  
N  
Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many Apache operating manuals there are in the UK; if Apache operating manuals may be consulted by non-military personnel in the UK; and if DERA personnel are authorised to use Apache operating manuals.
(14351)
8  
N  
Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if DERA personnel had access to the Apache Operating Manual before DERA was privatised; and if he will make a statement on the changes that have occurred in DERA's security classification since privatisation, with special reference to cooperation with the United States of America.
(14354)
9  
N  
Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many spare gearboxes for Chinook helicopters are kept in stock; and where the Chinook gear boxes are supplied from.
(14352)
10  
N  
Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many Apache helicopters there are in the United Kingdom; and how many he plans to buy.
(14381)
11  
N  
Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many Chinook helicopters (a) are in operation, (b) were deployed in exercise Saef Sareea II and (c) are grounded because of a shortage of spare parts.
(14630)
12  
N  
Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what British involvement there is in the manufacture of the cockpit frame for Eurofighter; what proportion of the parts of the Eurofighter cockpit are British made; which overseas countries are supplying components to the Eurofighter cockpit frame; which other parts of Eurofighter will be British made, and if he will make a statement.
(14353)
13  
N  
Mr Bernard Jenkin (North Essex):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many Royal Naval Reserve personnel are serving on operations.
(14625)
14  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if the two nuclear submarines that may be allocated to the European Peacekeeping and Peacemaking Corps, include types capable of firing (a) tomahawks and (b) nuclear missiles.
(14826)
15  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what assessment he made of the effect of the removal of the cannon from the Eurofighter on the RAF's future capability to deter civilian aircraft from hazardous flight paths; and if he will make a statement.
(14821)
16  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will list the causes of breakdown in armoured vehicles on exercise Saif Sareea II; when such breakdowns had been anticipated in advance by (a) his Department and (b) service staff; and if he will make a statement.
(14809)
17  
N  
Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will make a statement about the Veterans Task Force meeting held on 7th November.
(13766)
18  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many officials in his Department are employed to carry out the comprehensive survey of the service volunteer programme at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down announced on 1st May; what grade each of these officials is; and on what date each started work on the comprehensive survey.
(14748)
19  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many individuals have contacted the Porton Down Volunteers Helpline since February 1998.
(14761)
20  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will place in the Library a copy of the report produced by the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, in 1972 entitled, The Effect of Wind Speed on the Mitogenic Potency of GB and VX Valpour.
(14759)
21  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many officials at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, are employed to answer queries in the form of letters and telephone calls by former service personnel about experiments in which they took part.
(14760)
22  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will place in the Library a copy of the report produced by the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down in 1984 entitled, Experience in Man with Nerve Agents with Reference to Generalised Symptoms - A Review and Proposals for Further Experiments.
(14758)
23  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will issue a press release announcing the winners of the contract to carry out the epidemiological study to explore the health of volunteers who took part in experiments at the chemical and biological defence establishment, Porton Down; and when the winners will be chosen.
(14749)
24  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will place in Library a list of the (a) common and (b) chemical names of the eight nerve agents which have been tested on service volunteers at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, during the service volunteer programme; and how many service volunteers were tested with each of the nerve agents.
(14754)
25  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will place in the Library copies of correspondence between his Department and the Medical Research Council prior to 21st November 2000, relating to the proposal to seek its advice on the feasibility of an epidemiological study into volunteers who took part in experiments at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down.
(14743)
26  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will make ex-gratia compensation payments to service volunteers who took part in experiments at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, because they believed that they were volunteering for common cold research; and if he will make a statement.
(14835)
27  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will place in the Library a list of the titles and dates of films held by the chemical and biological defence establishment, Porton Down, which recorded the establishment's trials with the chemical agents CS and CR tear gas in the 1960s and 1970s.
(14798)
28  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many staff are employed in his Department's Gulf Veterans' Illnesses Unit specifically to deal with issues relating to Porton Down volunteers.
(14753)
29  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many service personnel have visited the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, to inspect records of their experiments and discuss their test with members of staff since 6th April.
(14752)
30  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14769)
31  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if the War Pension Agency is being kept informed of the plans to set up an epidemiological study to explore the health of volunteers who took part in experiments at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down; and what meetings have taken place between the War Pension Agency and (a) the Medical Research Council and (b) the Gulf Veterans' Illnesses Unit with regard to this matter.
(14763)
32  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many times since 9th April staff at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, have supplied information about former volunteers to the War Pension Agency in response to claims for disablement by such individuals.
(14764)
33  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many service personnel who took part in experiments at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, have been referred to the Medical Assessment Programme since 21st November 2000; and how many of these have been seen by the Medical Assessment Programme.
(14762)
34  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his Answer of 11th May, Official Report, columns 415-6W, regarding Porton Down, if his Department's officials conducting the comprehensive survey of the service volunteer programme at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, have made a decision on whether to interview (a) former scientists and staff at Porton Down who conducted the experiments and (b) former service personnel who took part in the experiments.
(14751)
35  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if Professor Ian Kennedy will meet representatives of the Operation Antler team of Wiltshire Police as part of his supervision of the comprehensive survey of the service volunteer programme at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down.
(14756)
36  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his Answer of 15th October, Official Report, columns 936-7W, regarding Porton Down, if he will place in the Library papers relating to the War Pension Agency's decision of 19th February.
(14745)
37  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many teams of scientists and academics have expressed an interest in carrying out the epidemiological study to explore the health of volunteers who took part in experiments at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down, since 21st June; if he will list these teams; and if he will place in Library copies of the submissions of interest of those teams which have now withdrawn from the competition to conduct this study.
(14757)
38  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, on what dates officials in his Department have held meetings with the Medical Research Council since 5th April, to discuss the epidemiological study into volunteers who took part in experiments at the chemical defence esablishment, Porton Down.
(14744)
39  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many questionnaires have been sent out to former service personnel by his Department's officials conducting the comprehensive survey of the service volunteer programme at the chemical defence establishment, Porton Down; and how many questionnaires have been returned by former service personnel who took part in the experiments.
(14755)
40  
  
Mr Gregory Barker (Bexhill & Battle):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what information she has collated on how many school exchanges there have been between United Kingdom and Russian schools (a) in the current year and (b) since 1991.
(14728)
41  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what plans she has to allow schools with sixth forms to make direct representations to local learning and skills councils regarding sixth form funding.
(14567)
42  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, in what proportion of cases the threshold assessment made by a headteacher has been overturned.
(14564)
43  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what plans she has to allocate funds for schools to pay teachers awards on the upper spine of performance related pay.
(14566)
44  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will guarantee funding of threshold payments to schools beyond 2004.
(14563)
45  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what guidance she has issued to schools regarding assessment of teachers for the upper spine of performance related pay.
(14565)
46  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will list those local learning and skills councils which (a) have at least one member who is a representative from the school sector and (b) have no such representative.
(14558)
47  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what criteria are used by her Department for the allocation of basic needs grants to schools.
(14561)
48  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what assessment she has made of levels of sickness amongst pupils at key stages four and five since the introduction of the AS level syllabus.
(14560)
49  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what estimate she has made of the rates of staff retention in (a) secondary schools with sixth forms and (b) secondary schools without sixth forms.
(14559)
50  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, pursuant to her written Answer of 7th November, Official Report, column 245, on ministerial travel, what was the (a) purpose, (b) duration and (c) cost of each of the ministerial visits.
(14569)
51  
N  
Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will state the percentage of re-marked papers at (a) GCSE, (b) AS level and (c) A level which resulted in marks being (i) increased and (ii) decreased in each of the last three years.
(14562)
52  
N  
Alistair Burt (North East Bedfordshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what submissions she has received for the review of student finance following her announcement of such a review; if she will list those submissions; and if they will be taken into account before she publishes her proposals to reform student finance.
(14540)
53  
N  
Alistair Burt (North East Bedfordshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will call for submissions to her review on student finance from (a) the National Union of Students, (b) Universities UK, (c) the Association of Colleges, (d) the Student Loan Company, (e) the Association of University Teachers, (f) the National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education, (g) the Standing Conference of Principals and Skills, (h) the National Bureau for Students with Disabilities and (i) others; if she will publish their submissions; and if she will make a statement.
(14543)
54  
N  
Alistair Burt (North East Bedfordshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what submissions she has received recently on the student loans system; if she will list such submissions; and if she will make a statement.
(14539)
55  
N  
Alistair Burt (North East Bedfordshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, how she defines higher education for the purposes of the Government's target for 18 to 30 year olds experiencing higher education by the end of this decade.
(14542)
56  
N  
Alistair Burt (North East Bedfordshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what discussions she has had with other Government departments in relation to her review of student finance; if she will place such submissions in the Library; and if she will make a statement.
(14541)
57  
  
Mr Martin Caton (Gower):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what percentage of requests for ill health early retirement under the Teachers' Pensions Regulations were agreed on application in each the last three years; and what percentage of appeals against refusal were successful over the same period.
(14724)
58  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if funding for lower class sizes in primary schools will be ring-fenced until 2003-04.
(14584)
59  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what proportion of members on learning and skills councils have known political affiliations.
(14575)
60  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what representations she has received in the last year from local education authorities wanting to hand the running of a state school over to the private sector.
(14577)
61  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what are the statutory provisions that govern schools in the state sector being run by private sector firms.
(14578)
62  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, when her Department first received warnings from training providers that the individual learning account scheme was open to fraud.
(14580)
63  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what advice she has received from the police in the last three months on the extent of fraud in connection with individual learning accounts.
(14582)
64  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will maintain funding for school sixth forms in real terms in 2003-04.
(14571)
65  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, how many (a) teachers and (b) head teachers there are on each learning and skills council.
(14573)
66  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what proportion of those who sit on learning and skills councils are (a) teachers and (b) head teachers.
(14574)
67  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what funding she has set aside for (a) 2001-02, (b) 2002-03 and (c) 2003-04 to reduce class sizes in primary schools.
(14583)
68  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, how many people with political affiliations sit on learning and skills councils, broken down by major political party.
(14572)
69  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will publish the correspondence she received from training providers offering views on the pilot programmes of individual learning accounts.
(14581)
70  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, which schools in the state sector are run by private firms.
(14576)
71  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what was the average revenue funding per pupil in (a) foundation and (b) voluntary aided schools in (i)1997, (ii) 1998, (iii) 1999 and (iv) 2000.
(14570)
72  
N  
Mr Damian Green (Ashford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what proportion of early years settings employ a qualified teacher; and what the cost would be of placing a qualified teacher in every early years setting.
(14579)
73  
  
Stephen Hesford (Wirral West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what progress is being made in ensuring a nursery place is available for every three and four year old whose parents require it.
(14725)
74  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, on what date her Department established a working group of officials to prepare her Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14766)
75  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, how many learning support units for children with challenging behaviour there were in schools in 1997.
(14137)
76  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what is the basis on which value added measures have been developed for pilot publications in 2001-02.
(14136)
77  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will list the location of the early excellence centres which (a) are in operation, (b) are in the process of implementation and (c) are planned, and what are the criteria for locations to be included in each element of the programme.
(14132)
78  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will list the location of the Sure-Start programmes which (a) are in operation, (b) are in the process of being implemented and (c) are planned; and what are the criteria for inclusion in each element of the programme.
(14134)
79  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what was the (a) direct cost and (b) the cost of external contractors and advisers to her Department of each local education authority intervention in the last 12 months.
(14135)
80  
  
Mr Phil Willis (Harrogate & Knaresborough):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what plans she has to examine the role of Capita in the operation of their contract to run Individual Learning Accounts; and if she will make a statement.
(14836)
81  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will make a statement on the establishment of border inspection posts in the United Kingdom by the European Commission Food and Veterinary Office.
(14812)
82  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will make a statement on progress made towards a common EU fisheries licence, with respect to communitarisation of national fleets.
(14816)
83  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will make a statement on the state of negotiations to extend the derogation on six and 12 mile limits.
(14819)
84  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what assessment she has made of the effect of Council Regulation (EC) No. 1936/2001, laying down control measures applicable to fishing for certain stocks of highly migratory fish, on (a) her Department's activities and (b) Dependent and Associated Territories, with special reference to (i) the Falklands and (ii) Gibraltar.
(14796)
85  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will make a statement on her policy regarding live export refunds for cattle; and if it is her policy to support their suspension as concerns the European Communities budget.
(14813)
86  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, on what date her Department established a working group of officials to prepare her Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14771)
87  
N  
Mrs Helen Clark (Peterborough):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement about the impact of the charging of VAT on the residential costs of nursing home care.
(12123)
88  
N  
Mr Andrew Love (Edmonton):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many employees in the different sectors of the economy (a) are benefiting from and (b) are entitled to receive money under the employee share ownership plans (i) in total and (ii) as a percentage of employees in that sector; what plans he has to extend ESOPs; and if he will make a statement.
(14465)
89  
N  
Mr Andrew Love (Edmonton):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many employees of (a) mutual, (b) co-operative and (c) employee trust award companies would benefit if the present rules were changed to permit such organisations to participate in employee share ownership plans; what plans there are to expand ESOPs in this way; and if he will make a statement.
(14464)
90  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14777)
91  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14775)
92  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, which organisation owns the intellectual property rights to (a) the Inland Revenue proprietory system for processing tax returns, (b) the National Insurance Recording System 2 and (c) Customs and Excise proprietory systems; and if he will make a statement.
(14742)
93  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, pursuant to his Answer of 6th November, Official Report, column 154W, on excessive working hours, if he will place in the Library the results from the aggregated data for every sub annual period since the data was first collected; if he will place a greater level of detail on his methodology in the Library; and if he will make a statement.
(14833)
94  
N  
Paddy Tipping (Sherwood):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, when he last met trade union representatives to discuss (a) miners' pension issues and (b) pension funds surpluses; and if he will make a statement.
(13514)
95  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what proportion of the female population (a) is of working age, (b) is in work or seeking work and (c) is seeking work in each county.
(14133)
96  
  
Mr Gregory Barker (Bexhill & Battle):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what resources have been offered to the Russian government to help it to combat organised crime in Russia.
(14729)
97  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the new offices of the British Council opened in each of the last three years.
(14736)
98  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, which countries seeking membership of the European Union he has visited during the last 12 months.
(14734)
99  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, how many European Union chapters have been approved by the EU in each of the countries seeking membership; and if he will list them.
(14735)
100  
  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment he has made of the evidence in the trial of Jamal al Fadl relating to the military testing of uranium in 1994 by the Islamic National Front in Hilat Koko in northern Cyprus; and if he will make a statement.
(14825)
101  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list all publications issued under the Your Britain, Your Europe project; and what the (a) print run and (b) cost has been in each case.
(14824)
102  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on his policy towards the establishment of a pan-Union referendum following the next Intergovernmental Conference.
(14807)
103  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations he has received from applicant states concerning close cooperation between the Russian Federation and the EU Political and Social Committee.
(14811)
104  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on activities being undertaken by the EU political and social committee.
(14810)
105  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on his policy towards Kaliningrad in the context of the expansion of the European Union.
(14827)
106  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations he has received from the European Women's Lobby concerning (a) its campaign and (b) receiving EU funding.
(14817)
107  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on his policy towards a second chamber of the European Parliament.
(14820)
108  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on progress made with the Spanish government over the future of Gibraltar.
(14814)
109  
N  
Joan Ruddock (Lewisham, Deptford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment he has made of the failure of the negotiations for a compliance and verification protocol to the Biological and Toxin Weapons Conference; and how he will respond.
(14468)
110  
N  
Joan Ruddock (Lewisham, Deptford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what he aims to achieve at the Review Conference of the Biological and Toxin Weapons Conference.
(14467)
111  
N  
Joan Ruddock (Lewisham, Deptford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will be attending the Biological and Toxin Weapons Conference in Geneva.
(14466)
112  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14768)
113  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many mixed sex hospital wards are in use in the United Kingdom.
(14732)
114  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how much money has been made available to improving coronary heart services in hospitals within the Greater London area in each of the last three years.
(14731)
115  
N  
Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what discussions he has had with the World Health Organisation regarding contingency plans for combating an outbreak of smallpox in the UK.
(12253)
116  
  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make a statement on his discussions with private hospitals on complaints-handling arrangements.
(14722)
117  
N  
Mr Gerald Kaufman (Manchester, Gorton):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when he will reply to the letter to him dated 3rd October from the Right honourable Member for Manchester, Gorton with regard to Mr I Titterington.
(14369)
118  
N  
Mr David Laws (Yeovil):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what are the (a) parliamentary constituencies and (b) NHS health trusts in which there are no NHS dentists taking new adult NHS patients; and if he will make a statement.
(14131)
119  
N  
Mr David Lidington (Aylesbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what is his policy towards the proposed merger of the Stoke Mandeville Hospital and South Buckinghamshire NHS Trust.
(14710)
120  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what arrangements have been made for the transfer of funding streams from district health authorities to PCTs .
(14340)
121  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what plans he has to overhaul training courses available to social services staff.
(14343)
122  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what the ratio of administration staff to total number of beds operating in the National Health Service was for each of the last 10 years.
(14342)
123  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to the Answers to the honourable Member for North Devon of 25th April, Official Report, column171W, on digital hearing aids, whether first wave sites will receive funding for the continued provision of digital hearing aids throughout the financial year 2002-03; and if the allocated money for national roll-out will cover two years.
(14568)
124  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what arrangements have been made to ensure the continuity of employment of staff transferring from district health authorities to component PCTs.
(14341)
125  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will list those areas eligible for his scheme to provide financial incentives to general practitioners to work in areas of high shortages; and what sums are available in each.
(14344)
126  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will list those public private projects being negotiated within the National Health Service.
(14338)
127  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many practice nurses worked in general practice surgeries in each of the last five years; and what were their full-time working equivalents.
(14346)
128  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make a statement on the change of name to the National Clinical Director for Children.
(14339)
129  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, for what reason Worthing is not included in areas eligible for his new incentive scheme for recruiting GPs to work in areas of high shortages.
(14345)
130  
  
Mr Kevin McNamara (Kingston upon Hull North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when he will publish the results of the trials of cannabis derivatives in the treatment of MS sufferers.
(14800)
131  
  
Mr Kevin McNamara (Kingston upon Hull North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when he will complete his discussions with the pharmaceutical industries on the provision of beta interferon for relapsing-remitting MS sufferers.
(14799)
132  
N  
Mr Andrew Mitchell (Sutton Coldfield):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many new hospitals and significant hospital buildings, as defined by his Department, were (a) in progress in May 1997 and (b) opened during 1997.
(14538)
133  
N  
Mr James Paice (South East Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when he expects to make decisions regarding the confirmation of primary care trusts in Cambridgeshire
(14023)
134  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what the average waiting time is for an A&E patient to see a doctor at Oldchurch Hospital in Romford; and if he will make a statement.
(14806)
135  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what plans he has to provide new resources for (a) Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospitals and (b) the Havering Primary Care NHS Trust; and if he will make a statement.
(14801)
136  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what plans he has to improve waiting times for patients waiting to see a doctor in the A&E Department of Oldchurch Hospital in Romford.
(14804)
137  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14776)
138  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, on what dates since 3rd August officials in his Department have held meetings with the Medical Research Council regarding the provision and confidentiality of National Health Service data for an epidemiological study into volunteers who took part in experiments at the chemical and biological defence establishment, Porton Down.
(14750)
139  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many NHS dental practitioners there were on the Isle of Wight in each year since 1997.
(14355)
140  
N  
Steve Webb (Northavon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to his Answer of 5th November, Official Report, column 118W, regarding major capital projects, when he expects to invite the next round of strategic outline cases for hospital building projects.
(14347)
141  
  
Mr Gregory Barker (Bexhill & Battle):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what measures are in place to ensure regular Russian authority co-operation in helping to track Russian organised crime in the United Kingdom.
(14726)
142  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many people seeking asylum have been dispersed to other areas of the UK from London in each of the last three years.
(14730)
143  
  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his Answer of 7th November, Official Report, column 315W, on passports, whether clear evidence of a proposed intention to go to Afghanistan to fight for the Taliban or Al Queda is sufficient to demonstrate the undesirability of the grant or continued enjoyment of passport facilities on grounds of public interest; and if he will make a statement.
(14818)
144  
  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on the progress of the Charity Commission investigation into the International Development Foundation.
(14822)
145  
  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what representations he has made to the BBC concerning the televising of Holocaust Memorial Day 2002; and if he will make a statement.
(14721)
146  
  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what organisations are being investigated by the Charity Commission for possible (a) terrorist links and (b) money laundering activities.
(14823)
147  
N  
Mr Win Griffiths (Bridgend):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many requests have been made in the last two years to visit and film in (a) prisons and (b) institutions for young offenders and other places where young people are in custody; and what the response to the requests was.
(13940)
148  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on the work of the interdepartmental ministerial group established following disturbances in Bradford, Burnley and Oldham earlier this year; and if he intends to publish the reports of the group.
(13895)
149  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what percentage of policing expenditure in (a) 1992, (b) 1997 and (c) the last year for which figures are available was spent on police pensions; and if he will make a statement.
(13894)
150  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what plans he has to extend the availability of baton rounds for use by the police; and if he will make a statement.
(13896)
151  
N  
Mr David Laws (Yeovil):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his Answer of 24th October, Official Report, column 288W, on PFI transactions, what is the (a) aggregate of cost savings estimated to have been made through PFI transactions overseen by his Department, (b) aggregate capital value of the PFI projects overseen by his Department and (c) individual capital value of each PFI project overseen by his Department in the last 10 years; and if he will make a statement.
(13975)
152  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what projects have been funded by his Distraction Burglary strategy which involve the First Check Point scheme to combat cowboy builders.
(14363)
153  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will list those projects which have been funded by his Department as part of his Distraction Burglary strategy; what the amounts involved are; and what the timescale is of the funding.
(14362)
154  
N  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many (a) Iraqis and (b) other persons of Middle Eastern origin were detained during the Gulf War as potential threats to national security; and how many were subsequently (i) deported, (ii) charged with any offence, (iii) released without charge and (iv) compensated.
(14296)
155  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on United Kingdom participation in the second generation Schengen Information System.
(14808)
156  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if she will make a statement on Christian Kainos wings in HM Prisons.
(14805)
157  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, on how many occasions since May 1997 requests for extradition of Islamic radicals based in the United Kingdom have been turned down; and if he will make a statement.
(14830)
158  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, on what date her Department established a working group of officials to prepare her Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14773)
159  
N  
Mr David Lidington (Aylesbury):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what is the Government's policy on the eligibility for jury service of honourable Members and members of the House of Lords.
(14711)
160  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what progress has been made in completing the review to (a) repeal and (b) amend (i) primary and (ii) secondary legislation under section 75 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; how many statutory bars have been scrutinised during this review; if he will list the titles of (A) primary and (B) secondary legislation which are to be repealed or amended under section 75 of the Act; when the review began; and if he will make a statement.
(14747)
161  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14770)
162  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14774)
163  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the President of the Council, what assessment he has made of the number of MLs who may be appointed under the Government's proposals for reconstituting the Upper House, based on the assumptions in the White Paper.
(14356)
164  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Prime Minister, if he will make a statement on his plans for peoples' peers.
(14815)
165  
  
Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    To ask the Prime Minister, what response Her Majesty's Government has made to the request by the government of the Republic of Ireland on 26th October for a voluntary suspension of the authorisation of the Sellafield Mox plant; and if he will make a statement.
(14723)
166  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Prime Minister, what recommendations he has made with regard to the timetable on which the rights of access in the Freedom of Information 2000 Act will come fully into force; and if he will place a copy of these recommendations in the Library.
(14834)
167  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Prime Minister, pursuant to his Answer of 6th November, Official Report, column 197W, which British Muslim organisations have specifically expressed support for the coalition's military action against the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.
(14709)
168  
  
Mr Gregory Barker (Bexhill & Battle):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many export licences have been issued to (a) Russian companies to the United Kingdom and (b) United Kingdom companies to Russia in the last 12 months.
(14727)
169  
N  
Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what progress has been made in her schemes to combat cowboy builders; and if he will make a statement.
(14361)
170  
N  
Mr James Paice (South East Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many new contracts for the sale of road fund licences were made with sub-post offices in the last 12 months.
(14025)
171  
N  
Mr James Paice (South East Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many sub-post offices which sold road fund licences closed in the last 12 months for which figures are available.
(14024)
172  
N  
Mr James Paice (South East Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what estimates he has made of the costs associated with allowing all post offices to sell road fund licences.
(14026)
173  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what response her Department has made to points raised by the Commission regarding United Kingdom practise in regional venture capital funds in Com 2001/712 EC.
(14797)
174  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, if he will make a statement on the nature of the assistance his Department has provided to the European Commission over allegations of price fixing in the United Kingdom vehicle market.
(14829)
175  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what information she has collated, broken down (a) by member state and (b) by industry, on state subsidies currently authorised by the European Commission (i) annually and (ii) for the current year.
(14795)
176  
N  
Mr David Ruffley (Bury St Edmunds):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what steps she is taking at the WTO Ministerial meeting in Doha to meet the concerns of the least developed countries.
(14408)
177  
N  
Mr David Ruffley (Bury St Edmunds):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many (a) pledge cards and (b) representations she has received from members of the public regarding international trade with developing countries in the last 12 months.
(14380)
178  
N  
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how much funding the NWDA has allocated to Luneside East Industrial Estate; and for what purpose.
(13771)
179  
N  
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what assistance she is providing for the (a) clearance and (b) remediation of (i) derelict and (ii) contaminated land on the Heysham Industrial Estate.
(13769)
180  
N  
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what funding has been allocated to the Morecambe and Lunesdale constituency by the RDA for economic regeneration.
(13773)
181  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, on what date her Department established a working group of officials to prepare her Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14765)
182  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, on what date her Department began to record the basic facts of meetings between ministers in her Department and outside interest groups as required under paragraph 63 of the Ministerial Code of Conduct and Guidance on procedures for Ministers; and in what form this information is recorded.
(14746)
183  
N  
Paddy Tipping (Sherwood):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, if she will make set out by (a) colliery and (b) company the amount of state aid made available in (a) 2000 and (b) 2001.
(13513)
184  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many first class letters from (a) the PO postcode area and (b) the Isle of Wight achieve delivery (i) by first post the following day and (ii) within 24 hours; and how many to London in each category achieve delivery by each of those times.
(14364)
185  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what was the annual average excess waiting time for passengers buying a ticket at the 10 stations on the London Underground with the greatest excess waiting time in (a) each year since 1997 and (b) for each month of 2001.
(14599)
186  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what was the average length of the contractual working week for London Underground (a) drivers and (b) station staff in each year since 1991.
(14604)
187  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if London Underground is a member of the COMET international metro benchmarking network; and what are the rules under which information the network collects can be published.
(14598)
188  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what was the average rate of staff absenteeism among London Underground (a) drivers and (b) station staff in each year from 1991.
(14605)
189  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what proportion of the annual service charges to be paid by Transport for London for the London Underground Public Private Partnership contracts will be underwritten by central government payments made to Transport for London; and for what period such payments will be guaranteed.
(14612)
190  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, how many lost passenger hours were incurred by each of the shadow infrastructure companies of the London Underground in (a) 1999, (b) 2000 and (c) each month of 2001.
(14600)
191  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what was the annual average leave entitlement of London Underground (a) drivers and (b) station staff in each year since 1991.
(14602)
192  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what was the (a) basic pay rate and (b) average annual earnings of London Underground (i) drivers and (ii) station staff in each year since 1991.
(14601)
193  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, at which London Underground stations, where new escalators have been installed within the past 10 years, these escalators have had to be taken out of use because of defects where the resulting closure was for a period of longer than one week; and who the manufacturers concerned were.
(14594)
194  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what arrangements have been put in place to take account of the change in the length of the working week of the Managing Director of London Underground Limited.
(14585)
195  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, on what date re-signalling of the Central Line was completed; how many signal failures on the Central Line there were in each month since the re-signalling was completed; and which company did the work.
(14595)
196  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will ask the National Audit Office to examine the value for money aspects of the London Underground Public Private Partnership in advance of the contracts being signed; and if he will place in the Library his correspondence with the NAO on London Underground.
(14615)
197  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, when, for each line of London Underground, new trains will be introduced under the terms of the Public Private Partnership.
(14588)
198  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if any train sets in use on the (a) Central, (b) Jubilee and (c) Northern lines of the London Underground have, in any month during the period since they were purchased, failed to achieve their original contractual requirements in terms of mean distance between failure; and what the relevant contractual figures are.
(14593)
199  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what capacity increase, for each line of London Underground, will be achieved under the terms of the Public Private Partnership; and in which year this change will occur.
(14587)
200  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what was the average annual mean distance between failure of trains on each line on the London Underground for (a) each year since 1996 and (b) each month of 2001.
(14592)
201  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will publish the names of (a) companies in each of the consortia selected as preferred bidders for each London Underground PPP contract and (b) the board members of each of those companies.
(14613)
202  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will name those persons working within central government on aspects of the Public Private Partnership for London Underground who have within the past five years (a) served on the board of, (b) been employed by and (c) had a material connection to any of the companies which make up the consortia which have been accorded preferred bidder status for the Public Private Partnership for London Underground.
(14607)
203  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, how, under the terms of the proposed Public Private Partnership for London Underground, companies will be incentivised to improve the performance of the underground; what new performance measures will be used; and what financial (a) incentives and (b) disincentives will be employed.
(14586)
204  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if, under the proposed contracts for the Public Private Partnership for London Underground, senior managers of Transport for London and London Underground who have been involved in PPP negotiations will be exempt from any subsequent legal challenge other than for fraud or impropriety, as regards the (a) content and (b) operation of PPP contracts.
(14608)
205  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what is the cost to London Transport of the recent London Underground advertising campaign to promote the Public Private Partnership for London Underground.
(14609)
206  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, when he expects to sign the final contracts for the London Underground Public Private Partnership; and when control of LU will pass to the Mayor of London.
(14611)
207  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if (a) his Department, (b) Transport for London and (c) London Underground intend to undertake further advertising to promote the Public Private Partnership for London Underground; and when it is envisaged that it will commence.
(14610)
208  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, which members of the London Transport or London Underground boards have at any time within the period since 1990 (a) served on the board of, (b) been employed by and (c) had a material connection to any of the companies which make up the consortia which have been accorded preferred bidder status for the Public Private Partnership for London Underground.
(14591)
209  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, how much was spent by (a) his Department and its predecessors, (b) London Transport, (c) London Underground and (d) any other institution (i) controlled and (ii) funded by his Department or its predecessors on all work concerned with the (A) preparations, (B) contracts and (C) other aspects of the London Underground Public Private Partnership in each year since 1997-98.
(14614)
210  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what are London Underground's estimated (a) passengers, (b) passenger kilometres operated, (c) gross operating costs, (d) total income from fares and (e) gross operating margin for 2001-02.
(14606)
211  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, how many London Underground (a) drivers and (b) station staff there were in each year since 1991.
(14603)
212  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what, for each line of London Underground, was the average number of failures of (a) points, (b) signals and (c) trains in each year since 1997; and what the targets for improvement for each line are in the first five years of the Public Private Partnership.
(14589)
213  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what was the London Underground weighted annual (a) predicted average passenger journey time and (b) passenger excess journey time for (i) each year since the inception of these measures and (ii) each month of 2001.
(14597)
214  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, who are the members of the boards of (a) Transport for London and (b) London Underground, and what are their (i) annual emoluments and (ii) monthly time commitment to LU; when they joined the board; and what are the particular responsibilities of each member as regards the Public Private Partnership for the Underground.
(14590)
215  
N  
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what average annual percentage of peak hour trains ran on each line of the London Underground in (a) each year since 1996 and (b) each month of 2001.
(14596)
216  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, how many homeless people there are in the Greater London area; and what the figure has been in each of the last three years.
(14733)
217  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will place in the Library copies of all guidance so far issued by the Standards Board for England.
(14544)
218  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will place in the Library all (a) guidance and (b) other documentation (i) published and (ii) otherwise distributed by the Local Government Modernisation team with respect to ethics in local government.
(14545)
219  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what action he has taken to improve the quality of bus services with respect to (a) reliability of service and (b) the quality of information provided at bus stops since the publication of the Bus Quality Indicators Bulletin in September.
(14546)
220  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will publish the criteria by which he selected people to be appointed members of the Standards Board for England.
(14551)
221  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what (a) remuneration and (b) superannuation is paid to board members of the Standards Board for England.
(14552)
222  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what was the cost of the establishment of the Standards Board for England; and what is its continuing operating cost.
(14553)
223  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what are the criteria by which members of the Local Government Modernisation team were selected.
(14554)
224  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, when the next issue of the Bus Quality Indicators Bulletin will be published.
(14547)
225  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will publish the code of conduct signed by the board members of the Standards Board for England, giving the dates on which each board member signed it.
(14548)
226  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, who are the board members of the Standards Board for England; and what are their relevant (a) experience and (b) qualifications.
(14549)
227  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, who are the members of the Local Government Modernisation team; and what are their relevant (a) experience and (b) qualifications.
(14550)
228  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what is the cost of (a) the establishment of the Local Government Modernisation team and (b) its continuing operating costs.
(14555)
229  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what remuneration and superannuation is paid to members of the Local Government Modernisation team.
(14556)
230  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will place in the library all (a) guidance and (b) other documentation (i) published and (ii) otherwise distributed to local authorities by the Local Government Modernisation team with respect to the environment.
(14557)
231  
N  
Mr Archie Norman (Tunbridge Wells):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what are the terms of the brief given to the Finsbury Public Relations firm in relation to his Department's relations with the City.
(14460)
232  
N  
Mr Archie Norman (Tunbridge Wells):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, when he decided to employ Roland Rudd of Finsbury Public Relations to advise on his Department's relations with the City.
(14463)
233  
N  
Mr Archie Norman (Tunbridge Wells):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he contacted (a) the Chairman and (b) directors of Railtrack plc on Saturday 6th October to ask whether the Board accepted that Railtrack plc was insolvent.
(14461)
234  
N  
Mr Archie Norman (Tunbridge Wells):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what the expected monthly cost is to his Department of the cost of employing Finsbury Public Relations.
(14459)
235  
N  
Mr Archie Norman (Tunbridge Wells):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will list the contacts made by (a) him and (b) his officials with the Board of Railtrack Group plc on Saturday 6th October.
(14462)
236  
N  
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, which are the 12 most deprived wards in the Lancaster City district, with reference to the Index of Local Deprivation.
(13767)
237  
N  
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what funding he has provided (a) to encourage employment opportunities and (b) to regenerate industrial estates in the Morecambe and Lunesdale constituency.
(13768)
238  
N  
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what discussions he has had with (a) the Government Office for the North West and (b) NWDA about improving access to the Luneside Industrial Estate.
(13770)
239  
N  
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, which wards in the Lancaster City Council District are eligible for Objective 2 priority 3 strategic regional investment funding.
(13772)
240  
N  
Steve Webb (Northavon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will make a statement on his proposed timetable for the renewal of the Wessex Rail Franchise.
(14295)
241  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what studies he is conducting into new systems for assessing entitlement to disability living allowance and attendance allowance.
(14367)
242  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what action he is taking to improve access to free or low cost advice to those intending to take out stakeholder pensions.
(13901)
243  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whan he will lay the orders implementing changes in carers' benefits.
(13903)
244  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what was (a) the total annual clawback of pensions arising from downgrading owing to hospitalisation and (b) the estimated total arising from each specific category of downgrading in each of the last five years.
(14368)
245  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what recent studies he has (a) conducted and (b) commissioned into the exceptional heating costs of different categories of disabled persons.
(14366)
246  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many disabled children qualify for disability living allowance; what the percentage take-up of benefit is; and if he will make a statement on action being taken to improve the take-up figures.
(13902)
247  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what plans he has to review the £85 pension threshold for clawback of incapacity benefit.
(14365)
248  
N  
Mr Jim Cousins (Newcastle upon Tyne Central):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if his Department will hold discussions with the Law Commission on a review to clarify the ownership and distribution of pension fund surpluses.
(14349)
249  
N  
Mr Jim Cousins (Newcastle upon Tyne Central):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what recent request he has received from the Scottish Executive to transfer benefit expenditure to the Executive; and what consequential changes to benefit eligibility are implied by such requests.
(14350)
250  
N  
Mrs Jacqui Lait (Beckenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, which Scottish local authorities had received a report from the Benefit Fraud Inspectorate on the administration of housing benefit by 8th November.
(14348)
251  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, on what date his Department established a working group of officials to prepare his Department for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and on what dates this committee has met since it was set up.
(14779)
252  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what the average time taken by the CSA in the last 12 months to obtain an attachment of earnings order from the date of application to the courts is; what the upper decile time is; and how many orders are in the upper decile.
(14357)
253  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what the average time taken by the CSA in the last 12 months to recover under payments by absent parents is; what the upper decile time is; and how many vacancies are in the upper decile.
(14359)
254  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what the average time taken by the CSA in the last 12 months to determine an absent parent's contribution to child support is; what the upper decile time is; and how many determinations are in the upper decile.
(14358)
255  
N  
Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many payments by absent parents have been written off as irrecoverable in the last 12 months; what the average and upper decile value of such payments are; and how many payments are in the upper decile.
(14360)
256  
N  
Steve Webb (Northavon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what impact the heightened security measures in place in Government and Civil Service offices since 11th September have had on the operation and accessibility of benefits agencies for claimants; and if he will make a statement.
(14298)
257  
N  
Steve Webb (Northavon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what plans he has to ensure that Jobcentre Plus staff have access to a single computer system that will allow the linking of data from Benefits Agency and Employment Service sources; and if he will make a statement.
(14299)
258  
N  
Steve Webb (Northavon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what assessment he has made of the feasibility of bringing responsibility for housing benefit claims within the (a) remit and (b) locality of the new Jobcentre Plus offices; and if he will make a statement.
(14297)
259  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what recent discussions he has had with the Government of the Republic of Cyprus regarding the trapping and eating of protected migrant birds; and what steps he plans to take to support improved enforcement of bird protection legislation in Cyprus.
[Transferred] (14803)
260  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make a statement on his policy towards the establishment of a Community action plan to combat social exclusion at EU level.
[Transferred] (14828)
261  
  
Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make a statement on the closure of residential care homes in Havering.
[Transferred] (14802)


Contents, today's questions
 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 2001
Revised 13 November 2001