House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001-02
Publications on the internet
The Order Book

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on Wednesday 7 November 2001

Here you can browse the Written Questions for answer on Wednesday 7 November, of which previous notice has been given in the Notices of Questions paper. They are arranged in alphabetical order of answering Department.

Notes:
* Indicates a Question for Oral Answer.
+ Indicates a Question not included in the random selection process but accepted because the quota for that day had not been filled.
[N] Indicates a Question for Written Answer on a named day, i.e. the Member has indicated under S.O. No. 22(4) the day on which he wishes the Question to be answered.
[R] Indicates that a relevant interest has been declared.
 


 
WEDNESDAY 7th NOVEMBER
1  
N  
Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, if he will make a statement on the future programme of meetings of the Council of the Isles.
(10862)
2  
  
Mr Jimmy Hood (Clydesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what the outcome was of the Culture and Audio Council held in Brussels on 5th November; what the Government's stance was on each issue discussed, including its voting record; and if she will make a statement.
(13269)
3  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, when the Government will fulfil its obligations under the Treaty of Amsterdam to define the role of public sector broadcasting.
(13223)
4  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what European Union funds are available for (a) the production and (b) the distribution of British-made films.
(13382)
5  
  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will review the criteria for determining the award of a Defence Medal for service personnel.
(13178)
6  
N  
Mr John Greenway (Ryedale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will make a statement on the compensation he proposes to pay to (a) Army pensioners, (b) Army widows and (c) estates which have wrongly had income tax deducted by his Department from their invalidity pensions.
(13141)
7  
N  
Mr John Greenway (Ryedale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what action he will take to identify (a) Army pensioners, (b) Army widows and (c) estates which have wrongly had income tax deducted by his Department from their invalidity pensions.
(13140)
8  
N  
Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the failure rate was of army radios during exercise Saef Sareea II in Oman; and if he will make a statement.
(13119)
9  
N  
Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what criteria he uses to determine whether Territorial Army personnel are fit for role.
(13142)
10  
N  
Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the failure rate was of Clansman radios on Challenger II main battle tanks during exercise Saef Sareea II in Oman.
(13118)
11  
  
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what representations he has received to grant the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal to servicesmen who were injured during World War Two; and if he will make a statement.
(13225)
12  
  
Ms Candy Atherton (Falmouth & Camborne):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what measures the Government is taking to combat age discrimination in the provision of skills training.
(13171)
13  
  
Ms Candy Atherton (Falmouth & Camborne):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what information her Department has evaluated regarding age discrimination in the provision of skills and IT training.
(13170)
14  
  
Vera Baird (Redcar):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will reduce the level of detail required in the annual reports produced by school governors.
(13252)
15  
  
Vera Baird (Redcar):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what assessment she has made of the impact of devolving financing of school buildings on head teachers' ability to carry out their core educational work.
(13251)
16  
  
Kevin Brennan (Cardiff West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what consultations she has had with the devolved administrations about her review of student finance; and if she will make a statement.
(13177)
17  
N  
Mr David Chaytor (Bury North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will list the proportion of total education spending on primary and secondary education delivered through (a) Education Standard Spending Assessment allocations and (b) other central government funding streams for each of the last five years.
(10820)
18  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will make it her policy to publish data on class sizes in league tables of school examination results.
(13393)
19  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what guidance she gives to teachers and head teachers to maintain political impartiality when controversial political subjects are discussed in school.
(13395)
20  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what assessment she has made of levels of indiscipline in (a) state primary and (b) state secondary schools since the abolition of corporal punishment.
(13396)
21  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will make a statement about the wearing of political badges by teachers and head teachers in school.
(13394)
22  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will list the cases of (a) state primary and (b) state secondary school teachers who have been (i) suspended and (ii) convicted for assault on pupils since the abolition of corporal punishment.
(13397)
23  
N  
Mr A.J. Beith (Berwick-upon-Tweed):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, how many letters from Right honourable and honourable Members received more than four months ago have not been given a substantive reply.
(11677)
24  
  
Mr David Kidney (Stafford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what the waiting time is for access to the three-day farm business advisory services for farmers in (a) England and (b) the West Midlands.
(13198)
25  
  
Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what discussions she has had with the Scottish Minister regarding Scotland's contribution to United Kingdom targets on sustainable development.
(13147)
26  
  
Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will include a representative of the Scottish Executive in the United Kingdom delegation to the World Summit on Sustainable Development in 2002.
(13148)
27  
  
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what assessment she has made of the implications of recent price settlements imposed by OFWAT on investment in water and sewerage services in Worcestershire; and if she will make a statement.
(13219)
28  
  
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what assessment she has made of the steps taken by the public bodies involved to reduce the risk of flooding in the south of Worcestershire since the Easter 1998 floods; and if she will make a statement.
(13220)
29  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will provide funding for a flood defence scheme in Milby and Langthorpe.
(13384)
30  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will provide funding towards construction of a land drainage pumping station in Rawcliffe.
(13386)
31  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what plans the Government has to ensure that flood prevention is not paid for exclusively from council tax.
(13385)
32  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what measures she has taken to ensure that Blue Beck in Rawcliffe does not flood and that run-off water will be diverted away from local homeowners.
(13416)
33  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what measures she has taken to streamline the agencies that have a responsibility for flooding matters, with particular reference to (a) the Environment Agency, (b) the internal drainage boards, (c) local authorities, (d) British Waterways and (e) other boards.
(13415)
34  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what preventative measures she has taken to ensure that the Ouse does not flood as a result of rivers to the north flowing into it.
(13415)
35  
N  
Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what was the total level of Government financial support made available to energy efficiency measures in each year since 1990.
(12791)
36  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how much of the provisional underspend for 2000-01 by the Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions was money allocated to improving transport infrastructure.
(13199)
37  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he plans (a) to introduce corrective procedures for underspend of Final Department Expenditure Limit and (b) to examine the financial procedures in the (i) Department of Health, (ii) Department for Education and Skills, (iii) Ministry of Defence and (iv) Department of Transport, Local Government and the Regions.
(13200)
38  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how much underspend there was in real terms in each year between May 1997 and April 2000 in the (a) Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions and (b) Home Office.
(13205)
39  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what measures he is taking to reduce underspend in the (a) Department for Education and Skills, (b) Department of Health, (c) DETR main programmes, (d) Ministry of Defence and (e) Home Office.
(13203)
40  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what discussions he has had with the Secretary of State for Health regarding under-spend in the Department of Health.
(13204)
41  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, pursuant to his Answer of 30th October, Official Report, column 642W, on departmental budgets, if he will provide a breakdown for each listed Department of the main items of intended expenditure that were not spent, comprising each of the annual underspend totals.
(13201)
42  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will provide a breakdown of the main items of intended expenditure that were not spent comprising the underspend arising from the difference between the Final Department Expenditure Limit and Provisional Outturn for 2000-01 for the (a) Department for Education and Skills, (b) Department of Health, (c) DETR main programmes, (d) Ministry of Defence and (e) Home Office.
(13202)
43  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what discussions he has had with the Prime Minister regarding underspend in the Department of Health.
(13206)
44  
  
Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, pursuant to the Answer of 1st November, Official Report, column 798W, on the EC Prospectus Directive, if he will quantify the likely increase in the disclosure costs of small and medium sized companies.
(13218)
45  
  
Mr Christopher Chope (Christchurch):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what conclusion the Treasury formed by December 2000 on the performance of the FSA since January 1999; and how this was communicated to the Remuneration Committee of the FSA.
(13257)
46  
  
Mr Christopher Chope (Christchurch):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what assessment he has made of the impact on the future for Equitable Life Assurance of the society compromise due to be voted on; and if he will make a statement.
(13255)
47  
  
Mr Christopher Chope (Christchurch):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, to what extent the FSA complied with the service level agreement concluded on 18th December 1998 in (a) 1999 and (b) 2000.
(13256)
48  
N  
Mr Don Foster (Bath):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will place in the Library documents relating to studies concerning the lowering of VAT for home repairs and renovations undertaken by his Department in the last five years.
(13058)
49  
  
Mr Nick Gibb (Bognor Regis & Littlehampton):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement on the interpretation of the phrase, for own consumption, when applied to the import of cigarettes from the EU into the United Kingdom.
(13193)
50  
  
Mr Nick Gibb (Bognor Regis & Littlehampton):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many motor vehicles were seized on the grounds that they were being used for the illegal importation of spirits, wines, beer or tobacco products in 2000; and what the total proceeds of sale were.
(13264)
51  
  
Mr Paul Goodman (Wycombe):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, under what circumstances an employee of the Inland Revenue is permitted to make an enquiry about a person whose tax affairs were dealt with by another Inland Revenue office.
(13216)
52  
  
Mr Paul Goodman (Wycombe):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, under what circumstances an Inland Revenue enquiry about a person's financial circumstances is entitled to lead to further enquiries about that person's immediate relatives (a) generally and (b) in respect of their financial affairs.
(13215)
53  
N  
Mr David Laws (Yeovil):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how much revenue was derived from selling vehicles impounded by Customs and Excise because they were used to breach personal allowances for the importation of tobacco and alchohol; and how many of such impounded vehicles have been sold, in each year for the past four years.
(12218)
54  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, how many applications for a visa to visit family members in the UK were refused in each month since 1 October 2000.
(13056)
55  
  
Lynne Jones (Birmingham, Selly Oak):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the membership of the coalition against International Terrorism and the contributions they are making.
(13383)
56  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what recent representations he has made to the Government of Zimbabwe about terrorist acts against landowners.
(13400)
57  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the cases of terrorist acts against the holders of British citizenship in Zimbabwe in each of the past five years.
(13399)
58  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on the security situation in Sierra Leone.
(13402)
59  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment he has made of sanctions which could be imposed by (a) the UK and (b) the Commonwealth against the Zimbabwe government.
(13398)
60  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assistance his Department has given to the International War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague in connection with the recent trials of Bosnian Serbs.
(13401)
61  
N  
Dr Jenny Tonge (Richmond Park):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what financial commitments the Government has made to the New African Initiative; and if he will make a statement.
(13120)
62  
N  
Dr Jenny Tonge (Richmond Park):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations he has (a) received and (b) made concerning the number of suicides amongst Afghan women.
(13121)
63  
N  
Mrs Annette L. Brooke (Mid Dorset & North Poole):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what the target response time for non-urgent ambulance responses is; and what the average response time has been in the last 12 months for which figures are available.
(12462)
64  
  
Clive Efford (Eltham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what estimate he has made of the annual cost of prescribing beta interferon to all patients who need it under the pilot scheme.
(13267)
65  
  
Clive Efford (Eltham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, which primary care trusts receive funding centrally at an (a) regional and (b) sub-regional level to meet the cost of expensive drugs or treatment.
(13266)
66  
N  
Barbara Follett (Stevenage):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, whether uni-professionals curriculum development and course approval for regulation purposes for allied health professions will continue to involve the professional and regulatory bodies.
(13057)
67  
N  
Dr Evan Harris (Oxford West & Abingdon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what discussions he has held with (a) senior health service officials, (b) senior clinicians and (c) patient groups on the possibility of bed shortages in hospitals (i) in London and (ii) elsewhere in the United Kingdom this winter.
(13114)
68  
N  
Dr Evan Harris (Oxford West & Abingdon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what steps he has taken to minimise the effects of a flu epidemic on hospital resources; and if he will make a statement.
(13116)
69  
N  
Dr Evan Harris (Oxford West & Abingdon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what action he has taken to minimise the effects of bed shortages in hospitals in (a) London and (b) elsewhere in the United Kingdom this winter; what guidelines he has issued; and if he will make a statement.
(13115)
70  
N  
Dr Evan Harris (Oxford West & Abingdon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what research he has made into the (a) likelihood and (b) scale of bed shortages across London this winter; and if he will place a copy of such research in the Library.
(13117)
71  
  
Mr Robert Jackson (Wantage):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what steps the Government is taking to ensure that every United Kingdom citizen has access to a vaccine against smallpox to protect against possible bio-terrorist attack; and if additional stocks will need to be purchased to achieve this level of coverage.
(13144)
72  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make a statement on the decision by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence not to recommend beta interferon to be supplied by the NHS for patients with multiple sclerosis.
(13403)
73  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what estimate he has made of the cost per patient of supplying beta interferon by the NHS to multiple sclerosis patients.
(13405)
74  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what estimate he has made of the number of NHS patients with multiple sclerosis who would require beta interferon if available from the NHS.
(13404)
75  
  
Mr Peter Lilley (Hitchin & Harpenden):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make a statement on the mechanisms for ensuring that Explanatory Notes to Statutory Instruments issued by his Department are comprehensible, with special reference to S.I. No. 3442.
(13222)
76  
  
Martin Linton (Battersea):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, whether health authorities and primary care groups may fund anti-TNF drugs in advance of the decision by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence; and (a) how many and (b) which are doing so.
(13175)
77  
  
Martin Linton (Battersea):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make a statement on NHS circular HSC/1999/176 with respect to the duty of health authorities to develop policies for the managed introduction of drugs in advance of a decision by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence.
(13173)
78  
  
Martin Linton (Battersea):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make a statement on the refusal of Merton, Sutton and Wandsworth NHS to fund anti-TNF treatment for a patient living in Battersea with rheumatoid arthritis.
(13172)
79  
  
Martin Linton (Battersea):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when the National Institute for Clinical Excellence will report on anti-TNF drugs.
(13174)
80  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what assessement his Department has made of the effectiveness of the drug Herceptin in the treatment of breast cancer; and when NICE is likely to make a decision on the licensing of Herceptin.
(13380)
81  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many nurses were (a) employed by the NHS, (b) recruited and (c) left the NHS in (i) 1993, (ii) 1997 and (iii) 2001.
(13379)
82  
N  
Mr Colin Pickthall (West Lancashire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what steps he is taking to enable the NHS to utilise the services of non-state registered chiropodists.
(12439)
83  
  
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if the Committee on the Medical Effects of Air Pollutants is considering the possible effects on (a) animal health and (b) human health of the use of methyl tertiary butyl ether in petrol; and if he will make a statement.
(13226)
84  
N  
Mr Crispin Blunt (Reigate):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he will decide on whether HMP Downview will be a local prison; and if he will make a statement.
(11639)
85  
N  
Mr Crispin Blunt (Reigate):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many women prisoners were detained (a) on remand and (b) following sentence on the 1st of each month since May 1997.
(11640)
86  
N  
Mr Crispin Blunt (Reigate):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what is his estimate of the costs broken down to include overtime, detached duty allowances and hotel costs arising from employment of female prison staff detached from other prisons to HMP Downview between 17th July and 31st December.
(11641)
87  
N  
Mr Crispin Blunt (Reigate):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what recent estimate he has made of the cost of renovating C wing at HMP Downview to be suitable for female remand prisoners; and what account was taken of such estimates in the advice which he received on converting Downview to a female prison.
(11642)
88  
N  
Mr Crispin Blunt (Reigate):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many prisoners there were at HMP Downview on 26th October; and, of these, how many were (a) UK and (b) Jamaican citizens convicted of trafficking in illegal drugs.
(11935)
89  
N  
Mr Tony Colman (Putney):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he will reply to the letters of 9th May and 12th July, from the honourable Member for Putney, with regard to his constituent Mr Rachid Boujelouah (Ref. R349629).
(12686)
90  
N  
Mr Frank Dobson (Holborn & St Pancras):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he expects to receive the next report of the Commissioners for the Exhibition of 1851.
(12251)
91  
N  
Mr Frank Dobson (Holborn & St Pancras):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will list the Commissioners for the Exhibition of 1851.
(12252)
92  
  
Mr Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many police officers were in South Tyneside on 1st May (a) 1999, (b) 2000 and (c) 2001; and what the projected figures are for 1st May (i) 2002, and (i) 2003.
(13212)
93  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many incidents of racial harassment were reported to the National Asylum Support Service's Investigations Team by asylum seekers, concerning the behaviour of accommodation providers or their agents in (a) 2000 and (b) 2001, broken down by (i) month and (ii) region.
(13046)
94  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many failed asylum applicants were removed from the UK in each month since 1st April; and how many of these were (a) principal applicants and (b) dependants of a principal applicant.
(13050)
95  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many asylum-seekers and dependants have been dispersed to each of the NASS-designated dispersal areas since (a) 1st April 2001 and (b) 3rd April 2000.
(13054)
96  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many asylum appeals, having been received by the Immigration and Nationality Directorate, are awaiting onward transmission to the Immigration Appellate Authority; and how many asylum appeals, having been forwarded by the Immigration and Nationality Directorate, are awaiting determination by the Immigration Appellate Authority.
(13049)
97  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many asylum-seekers are receiving (a) accommodation and subsistence support and (b) subsistence support only from the National Asylum Support Service.
(13053)
98  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many incidents of racial harassment were reported to the National Asylum Support Service's Investigations Team by asylum seekers in (a) 2000 and (b) 2001 broken down by (i) month and (ii) region; and if he will make a statement.
(13044)
99  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many incidents of racial harassment were reported to the National Asylum Support Service's Investigations Team by asylum seekers, concerning the behaviour of resident communities in (a) 2000 and (b) 2001, broken down by (i) month and (ii) region; and if he will make a statement.
(13045)
100  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what the average time taken from receipt of an asylum appeal to the Immigration Appellate Authority is, (b) determination of the appeal by an adjudicators and (c) final determination of the appeal by the Immigration Appeal Tribunal.
(13048)
101  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many asylum applications are awaiting an initial decision by the Home Office IND.
(13052)
102  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many (a) individuals and (b) organisations giving immigration advice for profit are registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner; and how many such individuals and organisations are in the process of registering with OISC.
(13047)
103  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many failed asylum applicants were removed from the UK in each financial year since 1993-94.
(13051)
104  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what instructions have been issued to National Asylum Support Service caseworkers investigating incidents of racial harassment regarding police reports; if reports by third parties are considered; and if he will make a statement.
(13043)
105  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what his policy is on the creation, maintenance and retention of DNA databases in combating terrorism in the United Kingdom.
(13409)
106  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will list the former Government bunkers sold to private purchasers since 1990.
(13413)
107  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment he has made of the value of (a) compulsory and (b) voluntary identity cards in combating terrorism in the United Kingdom.
(13408)
108  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on the handcuffing of a prisoner at Strangeways during his chemotherapy treatment for cancer at North Manchester General Hospital.
(13406)
109  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what plans he has to increase the recruitment of special constables.
(13412)
110  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what discussions he has had with chief constables on proposals by the Magistrates' Association that public houses should be allowed to serve alcohol from 6 a.m. to coincide with World Cup matches played by England in different time-zones.
(13407)
111  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what discussions he has had with the Secretary of State for Health on precautions to be taken by (a) government departments and (b) the public in relation to the threat of anthrax attack.
(13410)
112  
  
Judy Mallaber (Amber Valley):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what plans he has to restrict the availability of imitation firearms.
(13261)
113  
  
Judy Mallaber (Amber Valley):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what recent research his Department has undertaken on non-lethal weapons for use by the police in incidents involving (a) firearms and (b) other weapons as alternatives to firearms.
(13260)
114  
N  
Vera Baird (Redcar):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, how many (a) women and (b) men chair each type of tribunal.
(12935)
115  
N  
Vera Baird (Redcar):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what steps he will take to ensure that more people from ethnic minorities are recruited to the judiciary.
(12934)
116  
N  
Vera Baird (Redcar):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what the average ages of (a) women and (b) men appointees to the Court of Appeal were in the last 12 months.
(12936)
117  
  
Harry Cohen (Leyton & Wanstead):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, if the Lord Chancellor will introduce legislation to change the law so that if a claim is made against a first defendant and a second defendant for the same sum of money the case against the latter is not decided upon until the case against the former is resolved; and if he will make a statement.
(13145)
118  
N  
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what is the average time taken by the Immigration Appellate Authority to process, from receipt to determination, (a) oral family visitor appeals, (b) paper-only family visitor appeals, (c) asylum appeals and (d) other appeals; and if he will make a statement.
(13055)
119  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, pursuant to his Answer of 31st October, Official Report, column 752W, on the Libra project, how many of the magistrates' courts committees with Office Automation will keep their existing dedicated terminals to access the legacy systems until the new Libra software is available; and if he will make a statement.
(13197)
120  
N  
Mr Harry Barnes (North East Derbyshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, by what process suspected terrorists who are wanted for alleged crimes are having prosecutions against them stopped; and if he will list their names, giving in each case the details of the charges that are being dropped and the known paramilitary affiliations.
(12932)
121  
N  
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what the impact of de Chastelain's recent report on decommissioning has been on the implementation of the Good Friday Agreement.
(10819)
122  
  
Kevin Brennan (Cardiff West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what consultation she has had with (a) Oftel, (b) the Information Commissioner's Office, (c) BT's nuisance calls bureau, (d) NTL's nuisance calls bureau and (e) the Direct Marketing Association about providing telephone users with protection from silent calls by power diallers; and if she will make a statement.
(13176)
123  
N  
Mr David Chaytor (Bury North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what plans she has in the next edition of the Digest of United Kingdom Energy Statistics, to publish disaggregated data for energy consumption by (a) the agricultural sector, (b) the public administration sector and (c) the commercial sector; and if she will make a statement.
(12099)
124  
  
Mr Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what plans she has to increase investment in renewable energy.
(13209)
125  
  
Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many entrants there were in the 2001 competition for Languages for Exports Awards, broken down by (a) nation and (b) region.
(13168)
126  
  
Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, for how many trade delegations from Scotland to (a) the Czech Republic, (b) Poland, (c) Hungary, (d) Slovenia, (e) Estonia, (f) Lithuania, (g) Latvia and (h) Slovakia her Department provided support in (i) 2000 and (ii) 2001 to date.
(13169)
127  
  
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, if she will make it her policy to ensure that all letters sent by ministers in her Department to honourable Members are signed by the minister replying or by one of his or her private secretaries and that the use of facsimile signatures inserted by computer is abandoned.
(13259)
128  
  
Mr Jonathan Sayeed (Mid Bedfordshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what estimate she has made of the cost of electricity generated by nuclear power in pence/kilowatt hour, broken down into (a) building costs, (b) running costs, (c) decommissioning costs on a discounted basis and (d) other costs, identifying the assumptions made; and if she will make a statement.
(13270)
129  
N  
Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what was the total level of Government financial support to the renewable energy sector in each year since 1990, broken down by (a) research grants, (b) renewables obligation, (c) non-fossil fuel levy and (d) other sources.
(12790)
130  
N  
Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what was the (a) total amount of electricity generated from nuclear generators in the UK and (b) proportion of all electricity used in the UK generated from (i) nuclear generation and (ii) UK-based nuclear generation, since 1990.
(12788)
131  
N  
Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what representations she has received from the nuclear industry requesting exemption from the Climate Change Levy; and if she will make a statement.
(12793)
132  
N  
Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what has been the total installed capacity of nuclear generators in the UK in each year since 1990.
(12792)
133  
N  
Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what was the total level of Government financial support to the nuclear industry in each year since 1990, including (a) research grants, (b) transfer of debt from privatised utilities, (c) non-fossil fuel levy, (d) investment in BNFL facilities, (e) running costs of UKAEA and NIREX and (f) other sources.
(12789)
134  
  
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what plans she has to ensure the continued supply of road transport fuels at affordable prices in rural areas that are disadvantaged through the closure of retail filling stations.
(13262)
135  
  
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, when she last met representatives of the Petrol Retailers Association to discuss wholesaler and retailer relations; what the outcome was of the meeting; and if she will make a statement.
(13254)
136  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what the results were of the European new car assessment pedestrian tests based on EEVC Working Group 10 tests.
(13419)
137  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will publish the advice available to him from the Transport Research Laboratory on the effects of Phase One of the draft negotiated agreement on pedestrian protection of comparative (a) the bumper test on disabling knee injuries, (b) the head impact test and the proportion of the bonnet area untested or unprotected, (c) the absence of a bonnet leading edge test and femur or pelvic fractures and (d) the influence on car design and effective protection for pedestrians.
(13392)
138  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if active pedestrian protection measures offered by car manufacturers are compatible with each of the choices of passive measures under consideration by COREPER and the Council of Ministers.
(13387)
139  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, in what year the experimental safety vehicle of the Transport Research Laboratory demonstrated the feasibility of meeting the EEVC Working Group 10 pedestrian sub-system test requirements; and who funded this research.
(13388)
140  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, in what year in-depth pedestrian accident research work started at the Transport Research Laboratory in contributing to the research EEVC pedestrian protection work; and who funded this research.
(13389)
141  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what (a) proportion of seriously and fatally injured pedestrians received their injuries from being hit by the fronts of cars and (b) the main types of impacts for pedestrian deaths in serious injuries are.
(13417)
142  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, when the Government first proposed to the European Commission that a directive on safer car fronts for pedestrians and cyclists should be introduced.
(13418)
143  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what assessment he has made of the ability of the European car industry to achieve working group 17 pedestrian tests requirements at an early date.
(13421)
144  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will estimate the pedestrian fatality reduction potential of the Phase One tests in the draft negotiated agreement as a percentage of the potential in the EEVC Working Group 17; and what assessment he has made of the ability of the draft negotiated agreement to meet the level of protection in the harmonisation process required by the Treaty of European Union.
(13390)
145  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will outline the scientific research concerning the 21 degree knee bending angle in the Phase 1 leg protection tests in the draft negotiated pedestrian protection agreement; and if he will publish the Transport Research Laboratory's opinion on the consequences for injury generation.
(13391)
146  
  
Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, how it is intended that the car industry will work to agreed longer-term targets for pedestrian protection if Phase 2 of the draft negotiated agreement is not specified with Phase 1.
(13420)
147  
N  
Mr David Chaytor (Bury North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what proportion of UK commercial floor space is provided by buildings which are (a) larger than 1000 square metres, (b) larger than 500 square metres and (c) larger than 100 square metres.
(12100)
148  
N  
Harry Cohen (Leyton & Wanstead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what assessment he has made of the impact on London Underground fares of financing the Tube improvements planned for the next 15 years by (a) PPP and (b) direct Government borrowing.
(12219)
149  
  
Harry Cohen (Leyton & Wanstead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, if he will place in the Library the document about Mr Kiley which had been shown to journalists referred to by Sir Richard Wilson on 1st November.
(13268)
150  
  
Mr Paul Goodman (Wycombe):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, when he will publish the timetable for the implementation of the ring-fenced budget for noise mitigation measures.
(13217)
151  
  
Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, which light rail projects have received support from the Strategic Rail Authority since it was established.
(13146)
152  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, when an announcement will be made on the future of the Dome; and what the monthly cost of the Dome is to the Exchequer.
(13224)
153  
  
Mr Eric Pickles (Brentwood & Ongar):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what contingency plans he made to provide extra resources to Railtrack prior to 5th October.
(13213)
154  
  
Mr Eric Pickles (Brentwood & Ongar):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what the value of the railway station within the ownership of Railtrack on 4th October was.
(13214)
155  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what advice he has received on the level of payments on debt that would (a) be required annually if the rating of the successor organisation to Railtrack were credit rated at (i) BBB and (ii) single A and (b) be required if it were able to borrow at the rate of government gilts; and if he will make a statement.
(13207)
156  
  
Matthew Taylor (Truro & St Austell):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what advice he has received on the level of payments on debt that would be required annually if the rating of the successor organisation to Railtrack were (a) one per cent. higher, (b) two per cent. higher and (c) three per cent. higher than government gilts; and if he will make a statement.
(13208)
157  
  
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what information he has collated on the number of United States' states which have banned the use of methyl tertiary butyl ether; and what discussions he has held with his US counterparts in the use of methyl tertiary butyl ether as a petrol additive.
(13253)
158  
  
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what his policy is on the use of methyl tertiary butyl ether; what plans he has to review the policy; and if he will make a statement.
(13227)
159  
  
Mr Ian Davidson (Glasgow, Pollok):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what assessment his Department has made of the effect the New Deal has had on long-term unemployment.
(13167)
160  
N  
Mr Win Griffiths (Bridgend):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what estimate he has made of the number of people in (a) Wales, (b) England, (c) Scotland and (d) Northern Ireland who receive incapacity benefit and have an occupational or personal pension income which does not affect their incapacity benefit.
(12937)
161  
N  
Mr Win Griffiths (Bridgend):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many people in (a) Wales, (b) England, (c) Scotland and (d) Northern Ireland in receipt of incapacity benefit since 1st April have had their benefit entitlement reduced; how many of these have had their benefit reduced to nothing; and what percentage of them receiving incapacity benefit since 1st April have had it reduced.
(12933)
162  
  
Mr Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what progress he has made in combating pensioner poverty in South Tyneside in the last 12 months
(13210)
163  
  
Mr Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what support his Department gives to those in South Tyneside with disabilities who cannot work.
(13211)
164  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what the survial rates are for victims of breast cancer in (a) North Yorkshire, (b) Nottinghamshire, (c) Cumbria and (d) the United Kingdom at the latest date for which figures are available.
[Transferred] (13381)
165  
  
Mr David Lammy (Tottenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what information he collates on the incidence of crime in underground stations.
[Transferred] (13265)
166  
  
Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what her policy is on the protection of (a) nuclear power stations and (b) road and rail bridges from terrorist attack.
[Transferred] (13411)
167  
  
Mr Frank Field (Birkenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will list the reports the Government has published since 1997 evaluating the effectiveness of the welfare reform programme.
[Transferred] (13221)
168  
  
Mr David Miliband (South Shields):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many job vacancies there are in (a) South Shields, (b) Tyne and Wear and (c) the North East; how many there were 12 months ago; and what is the national vacancy rate per 1,000 of population.
[Transferred] (13263)


Contents, today's questions
 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 2001
Revised 7 November 2001