House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001- 02
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 15 October 2002

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 15 October 2002.

* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.

At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers

Private Business

        Note: Private business is not debated at this time, and may not be proceeded with if opposed.

Third Reading

HSBC Investment Banking Bill [Lords]. (By Order.)

Andrew Mackinlay

        On Third Reading of the HSBC Investment Banking Bill [Lords], to move, That the Bill be read the third time upon this day six months.


Keith Hill

        Selection: That Mr John Hayes be discharged from the Committee of Selection and Mr Peter Luff be added to the Committee.

Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Transport
*1 Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton & Cheam):    What measures are proposed to tackle overcrowding on the rail network.
( 71411 )
*2 Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    If he will make a statement on progress on the SEMMMS multi-modal transport scheme.
( 71413 )
*3 Mr Wayne David (Caerphilly):    What recent discussions he has held with his European counterparts on the development of trans-European networks.
( 71414 )
*4 Mr A.J. Beith (Berwick-upon-Tweed):    If he will make a statement about the A1 multi-modal study.
( 71415 )
*5 Mr John Wilkinson (Ruislip - Northwood):    What recent meetings he has had with interest groups about proposed road-user charging.
( 71416 )
*6 Charlotte Atkins (Staffordshire Moorlands):    What support the Government plans to make available to bring moth-balled freight railway lines back into operation.
( 71417 )
*7 Mr David Amess (Southend West):    What recent representations he has received from the Civil Engineering Contractors' Association about new road building projects.
( 71418 )
*8 Richard Ottaway (Croydon South):    What recent representations he has received from the Automobile Association about new road building projects.
( 71419 )
*9 Lawrie Quinn (Scarborough & Whitby):    How his Department will work with the regional development agencies in planning improvements for transport routes and systems within England.
( 71420 )
*10 Mr David Cameron (Witney):    What plans he has to discuss the Cotswold Line with the Strategic Rail Authority.
( 71422 )
*11 Mr David Rendel (Newbury):    What progress has been made towards meeting the Government's target of increasing the proportion of journeys made by bicycle.
( 71423 )
*12 Mr Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley):    What plans he has to introduce free off-peak travel for pensioners on public transport.
( 71424 )
*13 Mr Richard Allan (Sheffield, Hallam):    What assessment he has made of the need for improved trans-Pennine rail links.
( 71425 )
*14 Helen Jackson (Sheffield, Hillsborough):    What progress he is making in improving the rail network in the North of England.
( 71426 )
*15 Gregory Barker (Bexhill & Battle):    When he expects the new rolling stock on the Hastings to Charing Cross line to be fully operational; and what account he has taken in the 10 year plan of the need to upgrade the line to facilitate this.
( 71427 )
*16 Andrew Bennett (Denton & Reddish):    If he will make a statement on funding of trams in Greater Manchester.
( 71428 )
*17 Andrew George (St Ives):    What assessment he has made of the progress of Network Rail in meeting its performance targets.
( 71429 )
*18 Dr Andrew Murrison (Westbury):    What recent representations he has received from the British Road Federation about new road building projects.
( 71430 )
*19 Mr George Foulkes (Carrick, Cumnock & Doon Valley):    What recent discussions he has had with the Strategic Rail Authority regarding high-speed rail lines to the North of England and Scotland.
( 71431 )
*20 Mr John Baron (Billericay):    What measures the Government is taking to improve train punctuality.
( 71432 )
*21 Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    What changes to the rail network he plans.
( 71433 )
*22 Judy Mallaber (Amber Valley):    If he will make a statement on the progress of bus quality partnerships.
( 71434 )
*23 Mr Michael Connarty (Falkirk East):    What action he is taking to improve transport links between England and Scotland.
( 71435 )
*24 Norman Lamb (North Norfolk):    If he will make a statement on investment in respect of the Norwich to Liverpool Street railway line.
( 71436 )
*25 Mr Paul Goodman (Wycombe):    If he will make a statement on the renovation of Handy Cross junction.
( 71437 )
*26 Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    What progress his Department has made with modernising trust ports.
( 71438 )
*27 Phil Hope (Corby):    If he will make a statement on passenger rail services to Corby.
( 71439 )
*28 Chris Grayling (Epsom & Ewell):    If he will list the elements of the 10 year plan which are running behind schedule, as set out in the memoranda published by his Department in 2000.
( 71440 )
*29 Ian Lucas (Wrexham):    If he will make a statement concerning the grant of the rail franchise for Wales.
( 71441 )
*30 Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford & Southend East):    What progress has been made over the past three years in increasing the public use of rail services.
( 71442 )
*31 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    If he will make a statement on the South West Trains franchise negotiations.
( 71443 )
*32 Mr James Plaskitt (Warwick & Leamington):    What assessment he has made of the impact of making speed cameras more visible; and if he will make a statement.
( 71444 )
*33 Dr Stephen Ladyman (South Thanet):    What plans he has to meet the demand for air traffic capacity in the South East.
( 71445 )

At 3.20 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Minister for the Cabinet Office
*34 Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South):    If he will make a statement on the progress with monitoring customer satisfaction with the delivery of public services.
( 71403 )
*35 Derek Wyatt (Sittingbourne & Sheppey):    What plans he has to enable those in rural areas to access e-government.
( 71404 )
*36 Dr Phyllis Starkey (Milton Keynes South West):    What progress has been made in increasing the number of women in public appointments.
( 71406 )
*37 Mr Michael Connarty (Falkirk East):    What progress he has made on the co-ordination of the use of broadband by departments in providing access to government services to the public.
( 71408 )
*38 Paul Flynn (Newport West):    What proposals he has for e-Government.
( 71409 )

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion



Linda Perham

        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to establish and provide for the functions of the Corporate Responsibility Board; to require certain companies to publish reports on environmental, social and economic matters; to require those companies to consult on certain proposed operations; to specify certain duties and liabilities of directors; to provide for remedies for aggrieved persons; and for connected purposes.

The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).

Main Business

+  2  


Ms Secretary Hewitt

        That this House authorises the Secretary of State to pay, by way of financial assistance under section 8 of the Industrial Development Act 1982 in respect of the urban post office reinvention programme, a sum exceeding £10 million to Post Office Limited.

        The Speaker will put the Question not later than 1½ hours after the proceedings begin (Standing Order No. 16).

+  3  

PUBLIC TRUSTEE (LIABILITY AND FEES) BILL [LORDS]: As amended in the Standing Committee, to be considered.        [Until 10.00 p.m.]

Third Reading may also be taken.

Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.

+  4  

ADJOURNMENT        [Until 10.00 p.m.]

The Prime Minister

        That this House do now adjourn.

        Proposed subject for debate: Local Government Finance Formula Grant Distribution.

Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.

At the end of the sitting:



        Proposed subject: Caring for autistic children (Mr John Bercow).

Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).



1Office of the Deputy Prime Minister: Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions9.45 a.m.
10.15 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
Subject: Affordable Housing.
Witnesses: Councillor Michael Keith and Maureen McEleney, Tower Hamlets Council; Councillor Dame Sally Powell, Hammersmith & Fulham Council (at approximately 10.45 a.m.); Peter Studdert, Cambridge City Council, Addenbrooke's Hospital Trust, Cambridge, Keep London Working SRB Partnership (at approximately 11.15 a.m.).
2Welsh Affairs10.00 a.m.

10.30 a.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
Subject: The Wales Office Departmental Report 2002.
Witnesses: Rt. Hon. Paul Murphy MP, Secretary of State for Wales and officials.
3Culture, Media and Sport10.30 a.m.Room 7 (private)
4Treasury4.00 p.m.The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
5Welsh Affairs4.00 p.m.The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)


6House of Lords Reform10.30 a.m.Room 5 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]


Written Questions tabled on Monday 14th October for answer today++

1 Claire Ward (Watford): To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, if he will make a statement on the outcome of the Review of Area Based Initiatives.
( 74805 )
2 Barbara Follett (Stevenage): To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer what plans Her Majesty's Government has for the issue of commemorative coins next year.
( 74806 )
Standing Committee Notices
The Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Wednesday 16th October at 4.30 p.m. to consider the draft Northern Ireland Act 1998 (Modification of Enactment) Order 2002.
European Standing Committee B will meet on Thursday 17th October at 8.55 a.m. to consider European Union Document No. 10207/01 relating to the EU action plan on drugs 2000-2004.


House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 15 October 2002