House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001- 02
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 12 June 2002

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 12 June 2002.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.

At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers
Afterwards

Private Business

        Note: Private business is not debated at this time, and may not be proceeded with if opposed.

Second Reading

Mersey Tunnels Bill. (By Order.)

Mr Ben Chapman
Stephen Hesford
Mr Robert N. Wareing

        On Second Reading of the Mersey Tunnels Bill, to move, That the Bill be read a second time upon this day six months.


Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
*1 The Reverend Martin Smyth (Belfast South):    What his assessment is of the levels of community violence throughout Belfast in the last two months.
( 57730 )
*2 Andy King (Rugby & Kenilworth):    If he will make a statement on the operation over the past 12 months of the devolved institutions in Northern Ireland.
( 57732 )
*3 Helen Jackson (Sheffield, Hillsborough):    If he will make a statement on the maintenance of order during the parade season.
( 57733 )
*4 Mike Gapes (Ilford South):    If he will make a statement on the prospects for the future of policing in Northern Ireland.
( 57734 )
*5 Fiona Mactaggart (Slough):    What his assessment is of levels of bipartisan support for the peace process.
( 57735 )
*6 Mr Stephen McCabe (Birmingham, Hall Green):    If he will make a statement on the new Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme for Northern Ireland.
( 57736 )
*7 Mr Tom Harris (Glasgow, Cathcart):    What steps the Government has taken to implement the recommendations of the Bloomfield Report.
( 57737 )
*8 Eric Joyce (Falkirk West):    What recent assessment is of the prospects for further decommissioning of weapons by Loyalist terrorists.
( 57739 )
*9 Mr James Wray (Glasgow, Baillieston):    What recent measures the Government has taken in Northern Ireland to assist the integration of the Catholic and Protestant communities.
( 57740 )
*10 Mr Jeffrey M. Donaldson (Lagan Valley):    What assessment he has made of the progress towards the disbandment of the Provisional IRA and other terrorist groups in Northern Ireland.
( 57741 )
*11 David Burnside (South Antrim):    If he will list by month since January the shooting incidents attributed to the Provisional IRA in Northern Ireland.
( 57742 )
*12 Mr John Baron (Billericay):    If he will make a statement about the criminal activities of the paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland.
( 57743 )
*13 Mr Andrew Love (Edmonton):    If he will make a statement on the work being done by the Organised Crime Task Force for the next 12 months.
( 57744 )
*14 Mr Bill Rammell (Harlow):    If he will make a statement on the impact in Northern Ireland of the Proceeds of Crime Bill.
( 57745 )
*15 Mrs Ann Winterton (Congleton):    If he will make a statement on prospects for further decommissioning of IRA weapons.
( 57746 )
*16 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk):    When he next expects to meet representatives of the US State Department to discuss IRA involvement in the terrorist campaign in Colombia.
( 57747 )
*17 Dr Nick Palmer (Broxtowe):    If he will make a statement on the work of the Organised Crime Task Force over the past 12 months.
( 57748 )
*18 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    What conditions have been attached to the release from prison of Mr Johnny Adair.
( 57749 )
*19 Mr Eric Illsley (Barnsley Central):    What steps the Government is taking to improve community security in Northern Ireland.
( 57750 )
*20 Patrick Hall (Bedford):    What steps he has taken to improve the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme for Northern Ireland.
( 57751 )
*21 Huw Irranca-Davies (Ogmore):    If he will make a statement on the work of the Organised Crime Task Force to date.
( 57752 )
*22 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire):    If he will make a statement on the new Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme for Northern Ireland.
( 57753 )
*23 Mrs Joan Humble (Blackpool North & Fleetwood):    What progress has been made in implementing the Criminal Justice Review; and if he will make a statement.
( 57754 )
*24 Mr Malcolm Savidge (Aberdeen North):    If he will make a statement on the impact in Northern Ireland of the Proceeds of Crime Bill.
( 57755 )
*25 Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford & Southend East):    If he will make a statement on the security situation in the Province.
( 57756 )
*26 Linda Gilroy (Plymouth, Sutton):    What steps the Government is taking to enhance crime prevention and community safety in Northern Ireland.
( 57757 )
*27 Dr Brian Iddon (Bolton South East):    If he will make a statement on the relationship between community safety partnerships and district policing partnerships.
( 57758 )
*28 Mr Barry Gardiner (Brent North):    What his latest assessment is of the prospects of decommissioning of weapons by loyalist terrorists.
( 57759 )

At 3.00 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Prime Minister
*Q1 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57760 )
*Q2 Sir Peter Tapsell (Louth & Horncastle):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57761 )
*Q3 Ross Cranston (Dudley North):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57762 )
*Q4 Mr Anthony Steen (Totnes):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57763 )
*Q5 Mr Roy Beggs (East Antrim):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57764 )
*Q6 Mr Ronnie Campbell (Blyth Valley):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57765 )
*Q7 Bridget Prentice (Lewisham East):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57766 )
*Q8 David Cairns (Greenock & Inverclyde):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57767 )
*Q9 Sir Paul Beresford (Mole Valley):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57768 )
*Q10 Valerie Davey (Bristol West):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57769 )
*Q11 Mr Gordon Marsden (Blackpool South):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57770 )
*Q12 Mr Stephen O'Brien (Eddisbury):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57771 )
*Q13 Mr John Burnett (Torridge & West Devon):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57772 )
*Q14 Mr John Baron (Billericay):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57773 )
*Q15 Mr Stephen McCabe (Birmingham, Hall Green):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57774 )
*Q16 John Barrett (Edinburgh West):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57775 )
*Q17 Mr Vernon Coaker (Gedling):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57776 )
*Q18 Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57777 )
*Q19 Peter Bradley (The Wrekin):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57778 )
*Q20 Chris Ruane (Vale of Clwyd):    If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12th June.
( 57779 )

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Notice of Presentation of Bill

  1  

CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY        [No debate]

Linda Perham

        Bill to make provision for certain companies to produce and publish reports on environmental, social and economic and financial matters; to require those companies to consult on certain proposed operations; to specify certain duties and liabilities of directors; to establish and provide for the functions of the Corporate Responsibility Board; to provide for remedies for aggrieved persons; and for related purposes.

Formal first reading: no debate or decision

Ten minute rule Motion

  2  

DATA PROTECTION (AMENDMENT)        [Up to 20 minutes]

Mr Mark Francois

        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to amend the Data Protection Act 1998 to provide exemptions in respect of Members of Parliament seeking information on behalf of their constituents; and for related purposes.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

+  3  

NATIONALITY, IMMIGRATION AND ASYLUM BILL:      As amended in the Standing Committee, to be further considered [2nd allotted day].        [Until 10.00 p.m.]

For Amendments, see separate Paper.

        Proceedings on Consideration shall be brought to a conclusion at 9.00 p.m. and proceedings on Third Reading shall be brought to a conclusion at 10.00 p.m., if not previously concluded (Order of 11th June).

+  4  

HOUSING BENEFIT (WITHHOLDING OF PAYMENT) BILL (MONEY): Queen's recommendation signified.        [Up to 45 minutes]

Ruth Kelly

        That, for the purposes of any Act resulting from the Housing Benefit (Withholding of Payment) Bill it is expedient to authorise the payment out of money provided by Parliament of—

      (a)   any expenditure incurred by the Secretary of State under or by virtue of the Act, and

      (b)   any increase attributable to the Act in the sums payable out of money so provided by virtue of any other Act.

        The Speaker will put the Question not later than 45 minutes after proceedings begin (Standing Order No. 52(1)(b)).

+  5  

STANDING COMMITTEE ON THE CONVENTION        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

    (1)   There shall be a standing committee, called the Standing Committee on the Convention, for the consideration of reports from the United Kingdom Parliamentary Representatives to the Convention on the future of Europe.

    (2)   At any sitting of the standing committee, the chairman may permit the Parliamentary Representatives to make statements on the discharge of their responsibilities, and questions may then be put thereon by Members;

    Provided that no proceedings under this paragraph may continue after the expiry of a period of one and a half hours from their commencement, except with the leave of the chairman.
    (3)   (a)   At the conclusion of proceedings under the preceding paragraph, the committee shall consider only a motion proposed from the chair `That the committee has considered the report of [date] from the United Kingdom Representatives to the Convention on the future of Europe'; and the chairman shall put any Questions necessary to dispose of the proceedings on such a motion, if not previously concluded, when the committee shall have sat for two and a half hours; (b)   The chairman shall thereupon report that the committee has considered the report of [date] from the United Kingdom Representatives to the Convention on the future of Europe, without putting any further question.

    (4)   (a)   Notwithstanding Standing Order No. 86, the standing committee shall consist of those Members of the House nominated for the time being to the European Scrutiny Committee (appointed under Standing Order No. 143) and to the Foreign Affairs Committee (appointed under Standing Order No. 152), together with the Parliamentary Representatives to the Convention; and (b)   any Member of the House, not being a member of the committee, may participate in the proceedings of the committee, but shall not vote or make any motion or be counted in the quorum.

    (5)   (a)   Alternate Representatives to the Convention on the future of Europe who are members of the House of Lords may, if that House thinks fit, make such statements as are mentioned in paragraph (2) of this Order, answer questions thereon, and participate in debate on the motion made under paragraph (3), and (b)   other members of the House of Lords may participate in the committee's proceedings, but no member of that House may vote or make any motion or be counted in the quorum.

                        If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

At the end of the sitting

  6  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Myalgic encephalopathy (Mr John Bercow).

        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Standing Committee C10.30 a.m.Room 10 (public)
To consider the Private Hire Vehicles (Carriage of Guide Dogs etc) Bill.
2European Standing Committee A4.30 p.m.Room 10 (public)
To consider EU Document No. 6671/01: A Strategy for Future Chemicals Policy.
3Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m.Room 5 (public)
To consider the draft Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Financial Promotion) (Amendment) (Electronic Commerce Directive) Order 2002.
4Fifth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m.Room 9 (public)
To consider the draft Welfare of Farmed Animals (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2002, The Code of Recommendation for the Welfare of Livestock: Laying Hens, and the Code of Recommendation for the Welfare of Livestock: Meat Chickens and Breeding Chickens.

SELECT COMMITTEES

5Modernisation of the House of Commons9.30 a.m.Room 21 (private)
6Transport, Local Government and the Regions: Urban Affairs Sub-Committee9.45 a.m.

10.15 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: Affordable Housing.
Witnesses: Council for the Protection of Rural England (CPRE), and Mr Will Hutton; Lord Best, Jeseph Rowntree Foundation (at approximately 10.45 a.m.); Mr Neale Coleman, Mayoral Housing Officer, GLA (at approximately 11.15 a.m.).
7Defence10.00 a.m.

10.30 a.m.
Room 16 (private)
(public)
Subject: Future of NATO.
Witnesses: Professor Francois Heisbourg, Foundation for Strategic Studies, Paris; Dr Jan Willem Honig, Department of War Studies, King's College London; Mr William Hopkinson, Visiting Fellow, Centre for International Studies, Cambridge University.
8Environment, Food and Rural Affairs10.00 a.mThe Boothroyd Room, Portcullis House (private)
9European Scrutiny10.30 a.m.Room 19 (private)
10Work and Pensions10.30 a.m.



10.45 a.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: The Pension Service.
Witnesses: Ms Alexis Cleveland, Chief Executive, Mr Charlie McKinnon, Chief Operating Officer, Mr George McCorkell, Change Director, Pension Service, Department for Work and Pensions.
11European Scrutiny2.00 p.m.Room 19 (private)
12Education and Skills3.45 p.m.



5.00 p.m.
The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: National Youth Parliament.
Witnesses: National Youth Parliament.
13Health3.45 p.m.
4.10 p.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
Subject: Delivering the NHS Plan.
Witness: Rt Hon Alan Milburn MP, Secretary of State for Health.
14Northern Ireland Affairs3.45 p.m.



4.00 p.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Impact in Northern Ireland of cross-border road fuel price differentials: three years on.
Witnesses: Mr John Healey MP, Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Mr Paul Gerrard, Excise Fraud Strategy, HM Customs and Excise, Mr Justin Jacobs, Environmental and Transport Taxation Team, HM Treasury, Jane Kennedy MP, Minister of State, Northern Ireland Office, Margaret O'Mara, Associate Director Policing and Security, Northern Ireland Office.
15Broadcasting4.00 p.m.The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
16Defence4.00 p.m.

4.15 p.m.
Room 16 (private)
(public)
Subject: Future of NATO.
Witnesses: Dr Dana Allin, Senior Fellow for Transatlantic Affairs, International Institute for Strategic Studies; Mr Charles Grant, Director, Centre for European Reform; Professor Beatrice Heuser, Department of War Studies, King's College London.
17Environmental Audit4.00 p.m.

4.20 p.m.
Room 20 (private)
(public)
Subject: Time for Forests.
Witnesses: Mr Bob Andrew, Procurement & Contracts, DEFRA, Mr Tim Robinson, Policy and Practice Division, Forestry Commission, Mr Bob Ford, Global Wildlife Policy, DEFRA, Glenys Parry, Environmental Protection International, DEFRA, Jane Bulmer, Legal Department, DEFRA, and an official from DFID.
18Procedure4.00 p.m.Room 7 (private)
19Public Accounts4.00 p.m.Room 15 (public)
Subject: Government on the Web II.
Witnesses: Mavis McDonald CB, Permanent Secretary, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and Permanent Secretary (acting) Cabinet Office, and Mr Andrew Whetnall, Director for Local Government, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Andrew Pinder, e-Envoy, Office of the e-Envoy, Mr Richard Broadbent, Chairman, and Mr Alex Fraser, Director Logistics, HM Customs and Excise.
20Science & Technology4.00 p.m.

4.15 p.m.
Room 21 (private)
(public)
Subject: Government funding of the scientific learned societies.
Witnesses: Royal Society of Chemistry; Royal Geographical Society; British Computer Society; British Association for the Advancement of Science and Copus.
21Selection4.15 p.m.Room 13 (private)
22Treasury: Sub Committee4.45 p.m.Room 18 (private)

JOINT COMMITTEE

23Draft Communications Bill6.00 p.m.Room 134, 2 Millbank, Millbank House (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

 
 

Written Questions tabled on Tuesday 11th June for answer today++

1 Sir George Young (North West Hampshire): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, if he will make a statement on the resources available to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.
( 61775 )
2 Ann McKechin (Glasgow, Maryhill): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what progress has been made with the Quinquennial Review of the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office; and if he will make a statement.
( 61910 )
3 Mr Andy Reed (Loughborough): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what changes he plans to the role of the Reserves in home defence and security.
( 61911 )
4 Jane Griffiths (Reading East): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what key targets have been set for the Disposal Services Agency for financial year 2002-03.
( 61912 )
5 Mr Stephen Pound (Ealing North): To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will make a statement on the Review of London Markets.
( 61923 )
6 Gillian Merron (Lincoln): To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will make a statement on the outcome of the fourth Preparatory Committee for the World Summit on Sustainable Development, held in Bali; and if she will make a statement.
( 61924 )
7 Helen Jackson (Sheffield, Hillsborough): To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what her assessment is of the scale of child labour; and what steps she plans to take in relation to it.
( 61925 )
8 Mark Tami (Alyn & Deeside): To ask the Prime Minister, when he expects to lay the Intelligence and Security Committee's Annual Report before Parliament.
( 61926 )
9 Mr Gwyn Prosser (Dover): To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will publish the report commissioned from Professor Protti by the Information Policy Unit and the NHS Information Authority on issues of implementing information for health.
( 61927 )
10 Dr Phyllis Starkey (Milton Keynes South West): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he will issue for consultation the revised draft PACE Codes of Practice.
( 61928 )
11 Dr Phyllis Starkey (Milton Keynes South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, whether the Low Pay Commission has been given new terms of reference.
( 61929 )
12 Mr Bob Blizzard (Waveney): To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what plans he has for railways regulation.
( 62144 )



 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 12 June 2002