House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001- 02
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 11 June 2002

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 11 June 2002.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers
Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    If she will make a statement on the reform of postal services in Scotland.
( 57379 )
*2 Mr Alex Salmond (Banff & Buchan):    What consultations she had with ministerial colleagues on the budget changes to North Sea oil and gas taxation.
( 57380 )
*3 Angus Robertson (Moray):    What representations she has made to each Government department concerning their provision of information on Council of the European Union meetings to the Scottish Parliament and Executive.
( 57381 )
*4 Mr Iain Luke (Dundee East):    What recent discussions she has had with the Strategic Rail Authority about improvements to the East Coast main line north of Edinburgh.
( 57382 )
*5 David Hamilton (Midlothian):    How many people in Scotland benefit from the national minimum wage.
( 57383 )
*6 Mr Mark Hoban (Fareham):    If she will make a statement on business growth and inward investment in Scotland.
( 57384 )
*7 Mr Tom Harris (Glasgow, Cathcart):    If she will make a statement on progress made on expanding direct air links from Scottish airports to European destinations.
( 57385 )
*8 Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    What steps she is taking to promote Scottish tourism.
( 57386 )
*9 Mr Alistair Carmichael (Orkney & Shetland):    When she last discussed the deployment of customs officers in remote areas of Scotland with Treasury ministers.
( 57387 )
*10 Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):    What joint initiatives she has launched with the Scottish Executive to increase the coverage of broadband in Scotland.
( 57388 )
*11 Mr John MacDougall (Central Fife):    When she last met the Minister for Enterprise, Transport and Lifelong Learning; and if she will make a statement on prospects for economic prosperity with reference to inward investment.
( 57389 )
*12 Mr John McFall (Dumbarton):    What plans she has for increased public expenditure on economic development in Scotland.
( 57390 )
*13 Mr Frank Roy (Motherwell & Wishaw):    What discussions she has had with ministerial colleagues about the regulation of firework sales.
( 57391 )
*14 Chris Grayling (Epsom & Ewell):    What joint initiatives she has launched with the Scottish Executive to encourage enterprise in Scotland.
( 57392 )
*15 Rosemary McKenna (Cumbernauld & Kilsyth):    What recent steps she has taken to further the interests of Scottish business within the European Union.
( 57393 )
*16 Ann McKechin (Glasgow, Maryhill):    If she will make a statement on the action being taken to seize the assets of major drug dealers in Scotland.
( 57394 )
*17 Mr Alan Reid (Argyll & Bute):    What recent discussions she has had with the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry concerning deregulation of postal deliveries in Scotland.
( 57395 )
*18 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk):    When she next expects to meet MOD officials to discuss military bases in Scotland.
( 57396 )
*19 Mr Mark Francois (Rayleigh):    What joint initiatives she has launched with the Scottish Executive to encourage enterprise in Scotland.
( 57397 )
*20 Mr Michael Connarty (Falkirk East):    What plans she has to meet representatives of pensioners in Scotland to discuss the uptake of minimum income guarantee and the pensions credit.
( 57398 )
*21 Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    If she will list her responsibilities in relation to national security.
( 57399 )
*22 Dr Andrew Murrison (Westbury):    If she will make a statement on the reform of postal services in Scotland.
( 57400 )
*23 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    When she will next meet representatives from Consignia to discuss the reform of Scotland's postal services.
( 57401 )
*24 Jim Sheridan (West Renfrewshire):    If she will make a statement on delays in payment of compensation to those with asbestos-related diseases in Scotland and the action taken by her to reduce delays.
( 57402 )
*25 Mr Richard Bacon (South Norfolk):    If she will make a statement on the aggregates tax as it affects quarrying in Scotland.
( 57403 )

At 2.55 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Advocate General
*26 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What devolution issues have been raised since 30th April under the Scotland Act 1998.
( 57404 )
*27 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    What devolution issues have been raised in the last month under the Scotland Act 1998.
( 57405 )
*28 Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    What devolution issues have been raised since 30th April under the Scotland Act 1998 relating to human rights.
( 57406 )
*29 Mr Alistair Carmichael (Orkney & Shetland):    What measures she is taking to improve value for money in her Department.
( 57407 )

At 3.00 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department
*30 Ms Meg Munn (Sheffield, Heeley):    What steps the Department is taking to extend legal advice for the socially excluded.
( 57408 )
*31 Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):    What representations the Lord Chancellor has received on the impact of the Data Protection Act 1998 on hospital chaplaincy.
( 57409 )
*32 Andrew Selous (South West Bedfordshire):    If he will make a statement about the fees for enduring powers of attorney.
( 57410 )
*33 Bob Russell (Colchester):    When work will start on a new court house in Colchester.
( 57411 )
*34 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    If he will make a statement on the use of IT in the court system.
( 57412 )
*35 Hugh Robertson (Faversham & Mid Kent):    If he will make a statement about the nationality requirements for appointment as a justice of the peace.
( 57413 )
*36 Kevin Brennan (Cardiff West):    If he will arrange for the release of official papers relating to the abdication of King Edward VIII.
( 57416 )
*37 Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    If he will make a statement about reform of the QC system.
( 57417 )
*38 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire):    What plans he has for the rural magistrates' court network.
( 57418 )
*39 Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):    What is the Government's policy on the protection of witnesses on court premises.
( 57419 )
*40 Julie Morgan (Cardiff North):    What discussions the Lord Chancellor has had with the National Assembly for Wales about the operation of CAFCASS in Wales.
( 57420 )
*41 Andy Burnham (Leigh):    What action the Lord Chancellor's Department will take to facilitate the extension of court sitting hours in selected areas to deal with street crime; and if he will make a statement.
( 57421 )
*42 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk):    When he next expects to meet representatives of the magistracy to discuss magistrates' courts in small towns.
( 57422 )

At 3.15 p.m.
Oral Questions to the President of the Council, the honourable Member answering for the House of Commons Commission and the Chairman of the Finance and Services Committee
*43 Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford & Southend East): To ask the President of the Council, if he will bring forward proposals for improving the procedures for discussing EU legislation and for considering EU expenditure in the House.
( 57423 )
*44 Paul Flynn (Newport West): To ask the President of the Council, what assessment he has made of the selection process for people's peers; and what plans he has to amend the forthcoming road show.
( 57424 )
*45 Mr Michael Jack (Fylde): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals he will make to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons the matter of the use of electronic equipment in standing committees of the House.
( 57425 )
*46 Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith): To ask the President of the Council, if he will bring forward proposals to improve the effectiveness of the system of oral parliamentary questions.
( 57426 )
*47 Fiona Mactaggart (Slough): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, when the most recent assessment was made of the (a) present and (b) future childcare needs of people who work in the Palace of Westminster.
( 57427 )
*48 Mr Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield): To ask the President of the Council, what recent representations he has received about the working of programme motions on legislation.
( 57428 )
*49 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire): To ask the President of the Council, what representations he has received from campaigning organisations following his statement on 13th May to the House on Lords reform.
( 57429 )
*50 Julie Morgan (Cardiff North): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals he plans to put to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons relating to making proceedings in the House more accessible to visually disabled people.
( 57430 )
*51 Mr Chris Bryant (Rhondda): To ask the President of the Council, if he will bring forward proposals to reform the use of parliamentary terminology in the business of the House.
( 57431 )
*52 Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock): To ask the President of the Council, if he will introduce legislation providing for parity of treatment between members of both Houses in relation to disqualification following imprisonment consequent upon criminal conviction.
( 57432 )
*53 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle): To ask the President of the Council, when the House of Lords Appointments Commission is to embark on its proposed road shows to encourage applications from putative people's peers.
( 57433 )

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Main Business

+  1  

NATIONALITY, IMMIGRATION AND ASYLUM BILL (PROGRAMME)[Up to 45 minutes]

Mr Robin Cook
Mr Secretary Blunkett

        That the Order of 24th April (Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill (Programme)) (as amended by the Order of 9th May (Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill (Programme) (No. 2))) be varied as follows—

Consideration and Third Reading
(1)   Paragraphs (5) to (7) of the Order of 24th April shall be omitted.
(2)   Proceedings on consideration and Third Reading shall be concluded in two days.
(3)   The proceedings on consideration shall be taken on each of the days as shown in the first column in the following Table and shall be taken in the order shown and each part of the proceedings shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion at the time specified in the second column.
TABLE
ProceedingsTime for conclusion of proceedings
First day
New Clauses and new Schedules relating to accommodation centres; amendments relating to Clauses 14 to 36.7.00 p.m.
New Clauses and new Schedules relating to appeals; amendments relating to Clause 65, Schedule 3, Clauses 66 to 84, Schedule 4, Clauses 85 to 96 and Schedules 5 and 6.10.00 p.m.
Second day
Remaining new Clauses and new Schedules; amendments relating to Clauses 1 and 2, Schedule 1, Clauses 3 to 13, Schedule 2 and Clauses 37 to 64.7.00 p.m.
Amendments relating to Clauses 97 to 132, Schedule 7 and Clauses 133 to 135; remaining proceedings.9.00 p.m.
(4)   The proceedings on Third Reading shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion at Ten o'clock on the second day.
(5)   Sessional Order B (programming committees) made on 28th June 2001 shall not apply to proceedings on consideration and Third Reading.
      As an Amendment to Mr Robin Cook's proposed motion (Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill (Programme) (No. 3)):

Mr Oliver Letwin
Mr Humfrey Malins
Mrs Cheryl Gillan
Angela Watkinson
Mr Gregory Barker
David Maclean

Simon Hughes    Annette Brooke    Bob Russell
Norman Baker    Mr Richard Allen    Mr Andrew Stunell

        Line      3,      leave out from `be` to end and add `supplemented as follows—

Re-committal

      (1)   The Bill shall be re-committed to a Standing Committee.

      (2)   The proceedings in the Standing Committee shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion on 4th July.'

        The Speaker will put the Question not later than 45 minutes after the commencement of proceedings (Order A (8) of 28th June 2001).

+  2  

NATIONALITY, IMMIGRATION AND ASYLUM BILL:      As amended in the Standing Committee, to be considered [1st allotted day].

For Amendments, see separate Paper.

        Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m. if the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill (Programme) (No. 3) Motion is agreed to.

+  3  

DELEGATED LEGISLATION        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

        That the Building (Amendment) Regulations 2002 (S.I., 2002, No. 440) be referred to a Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

+  4  

DELEGATED LEGISLATION        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

        That the Electoral Commission (Limit on Public Awareness Expenditure) Order 2002 (S.I., 2002, No. 505) be referred to a Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

+  5  

DELEGATED LEGISLATION        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

        That the Local Government (Best Value) Performance Indicators and Performance Standards Order 2002 (S.I., 2002, No. 523) be referred to a Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

+  6  

ESTIMATES        [No debate]

Mr Robin Cook

        That this House agrees with the Report [16th May] of the Liaison Committee.

        To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 145 (3)).

At the end of the sitting

  7  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Abduction of the children of Catherine Meyer (Mr Keith Vaz).

        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Standing Committee A4.30 p.m.Room 11 (public)
Further to consider the Police Reform Bill [Lords].
2Standing Committee F10.30 a.m.
4.30 p.m.
Room 10(public)
(public)
Further to consider the Finance Bill.
3Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m.Room 12 (public)
To consider the draft Consular Fees Act 1980 (Fees) Order 2002.

SELECT COMMITTEES

4Foreign Affairs10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: Green Paper on Private Military Companies.
Witnesses: Lt. Colonel Tim Spicer OBE, Security Consultant and Head of Strategic Consulting International; Mr Michael Bilton, Freelance Journalist (at approximately 11.30 a.m.); Mr David Stewart Howitt, Global Dimensions Programme, LSE (at approximately 12.15 p.m.).
5Health10.00 a.m.Room 16 (private)
6Treasury10.00 a.m
10.30 a.m.
The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Bank of England May Inflation Report.
Witnesses: Mr Roger Bootle, Managing Director, Capital Economics, Professor Sheila Dow, University of Stirling, Professor David Miles, Imperial College, University of London and Mr David Walton, Chief European Economist, Goldman Sachs.
7Culture, Media and Sport10.15 a.m.


10.30 a.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Gambling.
Witnesses: GamCare, Churches together in Britain and Ireland, Professor Jim Orford, Mr Peter Collins and Bishop of Blackburn; British Amusement Catering Trade Association (BACTA) (at approximately 11.30 a.m.); Business in Sport and Leisure (at approximately 11.50 a.m.); Blackpool Challenge Partnership (at approximately 12.10 p.m.); British Casino Association (at approximately 12.30 p.m.).
8Home Affairs10.15 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
Subject: The Conduct of Investigations into Past Cases of Abuse in Children's Homes.
Witnesses: Mr Howard Webber, Chief Executive, Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority; Mr Peter Garsden, Solicitor, Abney Garsden McDonald, and Founder Member, Association of Child Abuse Lawyers, and Ms Frances Swaine, Solicitor, Leigh Day and Co., and Executive Committee Member, Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (at approximately 11.30 a.m.).
9Welsh Affairs10.15 a.m.Room 18 (private)
10Transport, Local Government and the Regions: Transport Sub-Committee3.45 p.m.
4.00 p.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: NATS Finances.
Witnesses: National Air Traffic Services Limited; Civil Aviation Authority (at approximately 4.30 p.m.); Mr David Jamieson MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Transport (at approximately 5.00 p.m.).
11Trade and Industry4.00 p.m.


4.15 p.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Trade with China.
Witnesses: British Trade International.
12Foreign Affairs4.30 p.m.Room 16 (private)
13Defence, Foreign Affairs, International
Development, and Trade & Industry
(Quadripartite Committee)
7.00 p.m.Room 6 (private)
14Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after the meeting of the Joint Committee on Statutory InstrumentsRoom 7 (private)

JOINT COMMITTEE

15Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

 
 

Written Questions tabled on Monday 10th June for answer today++

1 Mr Andrew Miller (Ellesmere Port & Neston): To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what plans he has to improve the vehicle registration system.
( 60884 )
2 Mr Vernon Coaker (Gedling): To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, when she will respond to the Culture, Media and Sport Committee's third report on arts development.
( 61137 )
3 Tony Cunningham (Workington): To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, when she will place the report of the Director of Civil Nuclear Security in the Library.
( 61138 )
4 Shona McIsaac (Cleethorpes): To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what arrangements the Government is making to publish departments' action plans for the implementation of the core principles for involving children and young people.
( 61139 )
5 Barbara Follett (Stevenage): To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer what plans Her Majesty's Government has to issue a coin in memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.
( 61140 )
6 Dr Nick Palmer (Broxtowe): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what future targets have been set to achieve higher ethnic minority representation in the armed forces; and if he will make a statement.
( 61246 )
7 Dr Nick Palmer (Broxtowe): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what representations he has received to extend the War Widows Pilgrimage Scheme; and if he will make a statement.
( 61247 )
8 Dr Nick Palmer (Broxtowe): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what plans he has for epidemiological research on Porton Down volunteers; and if he will make a statement.
( 61248 )
9 Kali Mountford (Colne Valley): To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the (a) forthcoming business in the Council of the European Union for June and (b) major European Union events for the period between 1st July and November.
( 61249 )
10 Mr Mike Hall (Weaver Vale): To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, whether he has received the report of the rail industry interview process carried out by Mercer Management Consulting.
( 61250 )
11 Ann Coffey (Stockport): To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, how and when he intends to consult on new formulae for distributing general grant to local authorities in England.
( 61295 )
12 Mr Bob Blizzard (Waveney): To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what council tax and non-domestic rates collection rates were achieved by English billing authorities in 2001-02.
( 61296 )
13 Mr Adrian Bailey (West Bromwich West): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what plans he has to make changes to current authorisations under section 19D of the Race Relations Act 1976, as amended.
( 61371 )
14 Mrs Liz Blackman (Erewash): To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, if he will make a further statement on his plans to legislate following the publication of the Local Government White Paper, `Strong Local Leadership—Quality Public Services'.
( 61490 )



 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 11 June 2002