House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001- 02
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 21 May 2002

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 21 May.

* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.

At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions
*1 Mr David Rendel (Newbury):    If he will make a statement on the number of new affordable homes built in the UK in the past 12 months.
( 55527 )
*2 Mr Anthony D. Wright (Great Yarmouth):    What effect neighbourhood and street wardens are having on curtailing anti-social behaviour in towns and cities.
( 55528 )
*3 Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):    If he will make a statement on his plans for the use of postal voting in future elections.
( 55529 )
*4 Mr George Osborne (Tatton):    If he will make a statement on the future of county councils.
( 55530 )
*5 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    If he will make a statement on the progress of new franchise negotiations for South West Trains.
( 55531 )
*6 Mr Ivan Henderson (Harwich):    How many British merchant ships have registered under the red ensign since the Government introduced the tonnage tax.
( 55532 )
*7 Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):    If he will make a statement on his Department's policy on expanding the canal network.
( 55533 )
*8 Helen Jackson (Sheffield, Hillsborough):    What action his Department is taking to reduce road traffic speed.
( 55534 )
*9 Mr Mark Todd (South Derbyshire):    If he will make a statement on the progress of the multi-modal studies on the M1 and East Midlands-West Midlands movements.
( 55535 )
*10 Dr Stephen Ladyman (South Thanet):    What plans he has to help local authorities deal with privately owned abandoned properties.
( 55536 )
*11 Mr Andrew Robathan (Blaby):    What recent representations he has received concerning the new arrangements for registration of interests by parish councillors.
( 55537 )
*12 Mr Howard Flight (Arundel & South Downs):    If he will make a statement on progress in his negotiations with the train operating companies on railway services to Hassocks, West Sussex.
( 55538 )
*13 Mr Bill O'Brien (Normanton):    What weighting factors will be given to poverty and health factors in the new local government financing system.
( 55539 )
*14 Mr David Heath (Somerton & Frome):    What plans he has to reform the uniform business rate.
( 55540 )
*15 Ms Oona King (Bethnal Green & Bow):    What measures he is taking to increase the supply of affordable housing in London.
( 55541 )
*16 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    What plans he has to extend the role of regional planning authorities.
( 55542 )
*17 Richard Ottaway (Croydon South):    To what extent the seminar in No. 10 Downing Street chaired by Ms C. Booth QC in February has assisted in the formulation of transport policy; and if he will make a statement.
( 55543 )
*18 Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    What steps he is taking to improve rail links to regional airports.
( 55546 )
*19 Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    If he will make a statement on the financing of regional assemblies.
( 55548 )
*20 Bob Russell (Colchester):    What plans he has to fund the installation of tram and light railway systems in smaller towns.
( 55549 )
*21 Mr Michael Foster (Worcester):    What progress is being made towards replacing the Standard Spending Assessment.
( 55550 )
*22 Mr Brian Jenkins (Tamworth):    What steps he is taking to regenerate areas of deprivation.
( 55551 )
*23 Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):    If he will make a statement on projected growth in passenger and flight numbers in the aviation industry over the next 10 years.
( 55552 )
*24 Mr David Cameron (Witney):    If he will make a statement on the introduction of regional assemblies.
( 55553 )
*25 Mr David Heathcoat-Amory (Wells):    What recent representations he has had from parish councils about the introduction of the new code of conduct.
( 55554 )
*26 Mr Mark Francois (Rayleigh):    When he intends to introduce legislation to reform the planning process.
( 55555 )
*27 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    What estimates he has made of the cost of introducing regional government in England; and if he will make a statement.
( 55556 )
*28 Mr Kevan Jones (North Durham):    If he will make a statement on regional assemblies.
( 55557 )
*29 Ms Claire Ward (Watford):    What proposals he has for improving children's play facilities in towns and cities.
( 55558 )
*30 Mr Alan Simpson (Nottingham South):    How much has been set aside for debt write-off connected to large scale transfers of council housing stock (a) in respect of properties already transfered and (b) to cover planned transfers.
( 55559 )
*31 Fiona Mactaggart (Slough):    What his assessment is of the impact Terminal 5's extra passengers will have on M4 traffic to the west of Heathrow; and how he intends to improve public transport to Heathrow from the west.
( 55560 )
*32 Mrs Louise Ellman (Liverpool, Riverside):    What progress has been made in setting up a housing market renewal fund.
( 55561 )
*33 Mr Ian Liddell-Grainger (Bridgwater):    What his policy is on the role of regional assemblies in respect of development policies.
( 55562 )
*34 Mr Andrew Miller (Ellesmere Port & Neston):    What evaluation has been made of pilot schemes to encourage higher turnout in local elections.
( 55563 )
*35 Dr John Pugh (Southport):    What plans he has for the reform of the operation of council tax.
( 55564 )
*36 Mr Nigel Beard (Bexleyheath & Crayford):    What steps he is taking to regulate road works on major roads.
( 55565 )
*37 Paddy Tipping (Sherwood):    When he last met representatives of the F40 group of authorities to discuss the grant distribution system for 2003-04.
( 55566 )

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion



Mr Adrian Bailey

        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to establish local authority responsibility for area child protection committees; to specify the functions of such committees; to require agencies charged with responsibilities for child protection to provide senior representation on such committees; to make provision about the funding of such committees; and for connected purposes.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).

Main Business


OPPOSITION DAY (14th allotted day)        [Until 10.00 p.m.]



Mr Iain Duncan Smith
Mr Damian Green
Mr Graham Brady
Alistair Burt
Mrs Eleanor Laing
David Maclean

        That this House condemns the Government's failure to meet its 1998 Public Service Agreement to cut truancy levels by one third; regrets that unauthorised absences from secondary schools have risen under this Government; further regrets that an estimated 50,000 children are absent from school on a typical day and that another 10,000 children of school age do not attend school at all; is concerned by the decline in standards of discipline in schools and notes evidence from the Association of Teachers and Lecturers which shows that assaults against teachers have risen fivefold in three years; deplores the Government's conduct in first removing from head teachers and governors the power to exclude disruptive pupils from their schools, and then failing to collect evidence on the number of assaults by pupils on both other pupils and teachers; believes that the Government's current approach to these problems is flawed; is concerned that the problems of rising unauthorised absence and declining discipline particularly damage the education of children from deprived and inner city areas; and calls on the Government to provide a serious response to the problem of vocational education, while giving more power to head teachers as a first step to reversing the decline in standards of discipline.

      As Amendments to Mr Iain Duncan Smith's proposed Motion (Truancy and Discipline in Schools):

The Prime Minister
Mr Secretary Prescott
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
Mr Robin Cook
Mr Secretary Blunkett
Secretary Estelle Morris

        Line      1,      leave out from `House' to end and add `applauds the fact that policies to reduce truancy and tackle poor behaviour are central to the Government's strategy to transform secondary schools; notes that, since 1997, the Government has spent over £600 million to support measures to tackle truancy and poor behaviour and that this has been supplemented by a further £66 million from this year's Budget, that behaviour is satisfactory or better in 11 out of 12 secondary schools and 49 out of 50 primary schools, that there are now over 1,050 Learning Support Units and 3,420 Learning Mentors in schools and that there are 331 Pupil Referral Units whose quality Ofsted reports to be steadily improving; welcomes the fact that the Government is promoting multi-agency initiatives such as Behaviour and Education Support Teams and Connexions that are crucial to addressing this issue, that exclusions have fallen by approximately 28 per cent. to 9,200 from their peak of 12,700 in 1996-97; supports the right of Head Teachers to govern their schools as they see fit; further notes that all permanently excluded pupils will receive a full-time education from September this year and that whilst overall truancy levels remain a cause for concern, action is being taken; further notes that children have a right to education and that parents have a duty to ensure that their children are educated; and believes that the Government's policies will deliver lasting improvements in pupil attendance and behaviour which will support the achievement of higher standards and prevent social exclusion.'.

Mr Charles Kennedy
Mr Phil Willis
Mr A. J. Beith
Mr David Rendel
Richard Younger-Ross
Mr Andrew Stunell

        Line      1,      leave out from `House' to end and add `congratulates the vast majority of pupils in schools on their attendance, behaviour and work ethic; further congratulates teachers and heads for promoting high standards of behaviour and for encouraging, often in challenging circumstances, excellent levels of attendance; regrets the increase in disruptive behaviour and condemns the Government for not carrying out detailed research into the incidence of poor behaviour and its causes; calls on the Government to develop innovative approaches to deal with poor behaviour, particularly the rising problems associated with permanent exclusion; recognises that there are many reasons for poor attendance and condemns the over-simplistic approach of successive Governments in dealing with the causes of truancy; further calls on the Government to reduce radically the endless regime of testing in schools and to stop the increasing levels of selection which are in danger of creating sink schools" in some of the most deprived inner city areas; notes that the one size fits all" curriculum introduced by the Conservatives in 1988 and continued by the present Government is a barrier that prevents schools offering a range of curriculum opportunities appropriate to the needs of all children; recognises that in order to make education more accessible for children currently excluded or self-excluded alternative curriculum provision and alternative methods of delivery must be developed; and further calls on the Government to recognise the enormous support given to schools by most parents and that good attendance and behaviour is ultimately as much a parental responsibility as that of schools.'.



Mr Iain Duncan Smith
Mr Damian Green
Mr Graham Brady
Alistair Burt
Mrs Eleanor Laing
David Maclean

        That this House is concerned about the provision of education for children with Special Educational Needs; notes that last week was Autism Awareness Week; also notes the publication of reports by the National Autistic Society which shows that two-thirds of teachers in England and Wales believe that there are more children with autism disorders now than five years ago and that one in three children in special schools has some form of autism; notes a survey carried out by the Conservative Party showing that one quarter of special schools feel threatened with closure; is concerned by the alarming rise in teacher vacancies in special schools; condemns the threat to SEN services in the Education Bill; and calls on the Government to set out clearly its plans for this sector and remove the uncertainty which harms the education of children with Special Educational Needs.

      As Amendments to Mr Iain Duncan Smith's proposed Motion (Special Educational Needs):

The Prime Minister
Mr Secretary Prescott
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
Mr Robin Cook
Mr Secretary Blunkett
Secretary Estelle Morris

        Line      1,      leave out from `House' to end and add `notes the Government's commitment to helping all pupils release their potential; supports the development of an education service that provides equality of opportunity and raises achievement of all children, including those with special educational needs; welcomes the Government's recognition of the important role of special schools and the forthcoming work to review and develop that role; further welcomes the recent report by the National Autistic Society and recognises the importance of early intervention to help children with autism; applauds the Government's strong record on supporting pupils with special educational needs, notably through providing a clear vision for their education and welfare in its 1998 Green Paper Excellence for all children" and implementing an ambitious programme of action resulting in this House's approval of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001, despite strong opposition from the other side of the House; commends the introduction of the new SEN Code of Practice and the principles of inclusion and partnership that lie behind it; further notes the development of national standards for specialist teachers and a range of training programmes and materials to support them; acknowledges the substantial increases in funding through both SSA and Standards Fund to support these and other initiatives; further notes that the Government will continue to ensure that the rights of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities are protected; and looks forward to the forthcoming Code of Practice to reinforce the rights of pupils with disabilities.'.

Mr Charles Kennedy
Mr Phil Willis
Mr A. J. Beith
Mr David Rendel
Richard Younger-Ross
Mr Andrew Stunell

        Line      1,      leave out from `House' to end and add `welcomes the huge efforts made by mainstream schools to develop the talents of children with an increasingly wide range of special educational needs; deplores the failure by Government to resource fully the inclusion of children with special educational needs in mainstream schools, causing anxiety for children and their parents; recognises the very important role of special schools in the continued assessment and education of children with special educational needs and calls on the Government to develop long-term planning that will remove the uncertainty over the future of such schools; further notes the increased difficulties all schools are having when recruiting special educational needs teachers; and calls upon Government to improve significantly the level of professional development available to all teachers who teach children with special educational needs.'.

        The selection of the matters to be debated this day has been made by the Leader of the Opposition (Standing Order No. 14(2)).

Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.

+  3  

CONSTITUTIONAL LAW        [No debate]

Mrs Secretary Liddell

        That the draft Scotland Act 1998 (Transfer of Functions to the Scottish Ministers etc.) Order 2002, which was laid before this House on 2nd May, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  4  

CONSTITUTIONAL LAW        [No debate]

Mrs Secretary Liddell

        That the draft Scotland Act 1998 (Modifications of Schedule 5) Order 2002, which was laid before this House on 2nd May, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  5  

FLAGS        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Reid

        That the draft Flags Regulations (Northern Ireland) (Amendment) 2002, which were laid before this House on 9th May, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  6  

DELEGATED LEGISLATION        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

        That the TSE (England) Regulations 2002 (S.I., 2002, No. 843), dated 27th March, a copy of which was laid before this House on 27th March, be referred to a Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

At the end of the sitting



        Proposed subject: Planning guidance for mobile telephone masts (Dr Vincent Cable).

        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).



1Standing Committee E10.30 a.m.
4.30 p.m.
Room 12 (public)
Further to consider the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill.
2Standing Committee F10.30 a.m.
4.30 p.m.
Room 10 (public)
Further to consider the Finance Bill. (Except Clauses 4, 19, 23, 26 to 29, 87 to 92, 131 and 134 and Schedules 1, 5 and 38.)
3Third Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m.Room 11 (public)
To consider the Draft Regulation of Investigatory Powers (Interception of Communications: Code of Practice) Order 2002.


4Regulatory Reform9.30 a.m.Room 19 (private)
5Transport, Local Government and the Regions9.30 a.m.Room 6 (private)
6Transport, Local Government and the Regions: Urban Affairs Sub-Committee9.45 a.m.
10.00 a.m.
Room 6 (private)
Subject: Public Spaces.
Witnesses: Lord Falconer of Thoroton QC, Minister for Housing, Planning and Regeneration, Sally Keeble MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Department of Transport, Local Government and the Regions.
7Foreign Affairs10.00 a.m.Room 16 (private)
8International Development10.00 a.m.Room 5 (private)
9Treasury10.00 a.m.

10.30 a.m.
The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
Subject: The UK and the IMF.
Witnesses: Mr Stephen Pickford, Director, International Finance, HM Treasury, and formerly UK Executive Director to the IMF, and Mr Tom Scholar, HM Treasury, UK Executive Director to the IMF.
10Culture, Media and Sport10.15 a.m.

10.30 a.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
Subject: Wembley.
Witnesses: Tropus; Wembley National Stadium Limited and The Football Association (at approximately 11.15 a.m.); Sport England (at approximately 12 noon).
11Home Affairs10.15 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
Subject: The Conduct of Investigations into Past Cases of Abuse in Children's Homes.
Witnesses: Mr Rory O'Brien, Chairman, Falsely Accused Carers and Teachers (FACT), Dr Christopher Reeves, Mr Phil Craig and Mr Phil Fiddler; Mr Neil O'May, Solicitor, Bindman and Partners, Ms Linzi McDonald, Solicitor, Kingsley Napley, and Mr Chris Saltrese, Solicitor (at approximately 11.45 a.m.).
12Transport, Local Government and the Regions: Transport Sub-Committee3.45 p.m.
4.00 p.m.
Room 15 (private)
Subject: The Bus Industry.
Witnesses: Rt. Hon. John Spellar, MP, Minister for Transport, Department for Transport, Local Government and the Regions; Social Exclusion Unit (at approximately 5.00 p.m.); Institute of Logistics and Transport (at approximately 5.30 p.m.).
13Trade and Industry4.00 p.m.The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
14Procedure4.30 p.m.
4.45 p.m.
Room 8 (private)
Subject: Parliamentary Questions and Electronic Tabling of Questions and Motions.
Witnesses: Ms Helen Irwin, Principal Clerk, and Mr Roger Phillips, Deputy Principal Clerk, Table Office, House of Commons.
15European Scrutiny5.20 p.m.

5.30 p.m.
The Boothroyd Room, Portcullis House (private)
Subject: Convention on the Future of Europe.
Witnesses: Ms Gisela Stuart MP, and Rt. Hon. David Heathcoat-Amory MP, Commons representatives on the Convention.
16Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after the meeting of the Joint CommitteeRoom 7


17Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]


Written Questions tabled on Monday 20th May for answer today++

1 Ms Claire Ward (Watford): To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, when she intends to publish the report of the quinquennial review of English Heritage.
( 58525 )
2 Mr Andrew Miller (Ellesmere Port & Neston): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, when the Departmental Report will be published.
( 58526 )
3 Mr Andrew Miller (Ellesmere Port & Neston): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what action he plans to take to simplify the benefit rules for people in residential care.
( 58527 )
4 Shona McIsaac (Cleethorpes): To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she intends to call a local inquiry to consider the Designation Order for a New Forest National Park.
( 58528 )
5 Mr Jonathan R. Shaw (Chatham & Aylesford): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what key targets have been set for the Ministry of Defence Police Agency for the financial year 2002-03.
( 58607 )
6 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire): To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on the report of the Parliamentary Ombudsman into the complaint received from the honourable Member for Tiverton and Honiton on behalf of Mrs Louisa Petschi (Case No. C974/01) concerning his Department's handling of a news report received on Sunday 6th December 1998 about actions affecting British nationals held hostage in Chechnya.
( 58710 )
7 Kali Mountford (Colne Valley): To ask the Solicitor General, what changes the Attorney General plans to make in the Treasury Solicitor's framework document.
( 58711 )
8 Mr David Clelland (Tyne Bridge): To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, what progress has been made to meet the request by Newcastle City Council to identify situations where clawback of grant in relation to past regeneration schemes will be waived; and if he will make a statement.
( 58820 )


House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 21 May 2002