House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001- 02
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 30 April 2002

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 30 April 2002.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


The House, pursuant to the Resolution of 24th April, will meet at Ten o'clock prior to attending upon Her Majesty.

At 2.30 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Mr Frank Doran (Aberdeen Central):    When she last met the Strategic Railway Authority to discuss transport in Scotland; and if she will make a statement.
( 51346 )
*2 Chris Grayling (Epsom & Ewell):    If she will make a statement on trends in manufacturing employment in Scotland over the last 12 months.
( 51347 )
*3 Mr Tom Harris (Glasgow, Cathcart):    What discussions she has had with the Strategic Rail Authority regarding the provision of direct Eurostar rail services between Scotland and continental Europe.
( 51348 )
*4 Eric Joyce (Falkirk West):    What steps she is taking to promote tourism in Central Scotland.
( 51349 )
*5 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    What recent discussions she has had with the Home Office concerning Dungavel Detention Centre.
( 51350 )
*6 Pete Wishart (North Tayside):    When she will publish the results of her consultation on the size of the Scottish Parliament.
( 51351 )
*7 Mr Jimmy Hood (Clydesdale):    When she last met the insurance industry to review progress in paying compensation to asbestosis victims in Scotland.
( 51352 )
*8 Mr John MacDougall (Central Fife):    If she will make a statement on the action being taken to seize the assets of major drug dealers in Scotland.
( 51353 )
*9 Mr Ian Davidson (Glasgow, Pollok):    Whether she has recently visited Glasgow to examine economic regeneration.
( 51354 )
*10 Mr Robert Syms (Poole):    If she will make a statement on the performance of the manufacturing sector of the Scottish economy.
( 51355 )
*11 Rachel Squire (Dunfermline West):    What recent discussions she has had with ministerial colleagues on the future of post office services in Scotland.
( 51356 )
*12 Tim Loughton (East Worthing & Shoreham):    What discussions she has had with ministerial colleagues and others on the impact of health spending on strategies for alleviating poverty.
( 51358 )
*13 Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):    What action is being taken against employers in Scotland who are failing to pay the national minimum wage.
( 51359 )
*14 Mr Frank Roy (Motherwell & Wishaw):    What recent discussions she has had with the Ministry of Defence about jobs in Scotland which are (a) directly and (b) indirectly related to the defence industry.
( 51360 )
*15 Miss Anne Begg (Aberdeen South):    What action she is taking to promote the work of the Disability Rights Commission in Scotland.
( 51361 )
*16 Rosemary McKenna (Cumbernauld & Kilsyth):    If she will make an assessment of the impact of the Budget on SMEs in Scotland.
( 51362 )
*17 Mr David Marshall (Glasgow, Shettleston):    What assessment she has made about the impact of the Budget upon child poverty in Scotland.
( 51363 )
*18 John Robertson (Glasgow, Anniesland):    What progress has been made in securing the payment of compensation to asbestosis victims in Scotland.
( 51364 )
*19 Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    If she will make a statement on prospects for manufacturing industry in Scotland.
( 51365 )
*20 David Cairns (Greenock & Inverclyde):    What steps she is taking to ensure Scotland's interests are represented in the Debate on the Future of Europe.
( 51366 )
*21 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    When she last met ministerial colleagues in the Department of Health and health ministers from the devolved administration to discuss NHS provision in border areas.
( 51367 )
*22 Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    When she last met ministerial colleagues in the Department of Health and health ministers from the Scottish Executive to discuss NHS provision in border areas.
( 51368 )
*23 Mr Stephen O'Brien (Eddisbury):    When she will next visit Galloway and Upper Nithsdale to discuss the rural economy with representatives from the farming industry.
( 51369 )
*24 Mr Mark Francois (Rayleigh):    What recent discussions she has had with rural businesses in Scotland regarding the aggregate tax.
( 51370 )

At 2.55 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Advocate General
*25 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What devolution issues have been raised since 19th March under the Scotland Act 1998.
( 51312 )
*26 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    In how many court proceedings she is scheduled to appear in her capacity as Advocate General in the next six months.
( 51313 )
*27 Eric Joyce (Falkirk West):    Which Scottish Parliament Bills she has assessed since June 2001.
( 51314 )
*28 Mr Andrew Robathan (Blaby):    What devolution issues she has considered in respect of the Land Reform Bill and the European Convention on Human Rights.
( 51315 )

At 3.00 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department
*29 Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown (Cotswold):    If he will make a statement on the Auld Report and its implications for the work of the magistrates' courts.
( 51316 )
*30 Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock):    If he will make a statement on the future of the courts in Grays.
( 51318 )
*31 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    What recent discussions he has had with the Law Society concerning the procedures for appointing QCs.
( 51319 )
*32 Mr George Osborne (Tatton):    If he will make a statement on the proposed closure of Knutsford Crown Court.
( 51321 )
*33 Vera Baird (Redcar):    What steps he will take to improve the quality of justice in magistrates' courts.
( 51323 )
*34 Mr Chris Bryant (Rhondda):    What evaluation his Department has made of the effectiveness of the recent reforms of the guardians ad litem.
( 51324 )
*35 Helen Jones (Warrington North):    What steps the Department is taking to involve magistrates in promoting citizenship initiatives for young people.
( 51327 )
*36 Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    If he will make a statement about the current cost of judges' lodgings.
( 51328 )
*37 Julie Morgan (Cardiff North):    What plans he has for CAFCASS to provide a bilingual service in Wales.
( 51329 )
*38 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    If he will make a statement on the results of co-operation between the courts and the police to ensure efficient use of police time during court hearings.
( 51330 )

At 3.15 p.m.
Oral Questions to the President of the Council and the honourable Member answering for the House of Commons Commission
*39 Mr Simon Burns (West Chelmsford): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to introduce further changes to the length of parliamentary recesses.
( 51331 )
*40 Martin Linton (Battersea): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to take forward his proposals for reform of select committees.
( 51333 )
*41 Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to put proposals before the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons for reform of private bill procedure.
( 51334 )
*42 Fiona Mactaggart (Slough): To ask the President of the Council, what the proposals for reform of the House of Lords are; and if he will make a statement.
( 51335 )
*43 Mr Martin Salter (Reading West): To ask the President of the Council, when the Government will announce its proposals on House of Lords reform.
( 51336 )
*44 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire): To ask the President of the Council, when he expects to make an announcement on further progess on House of Lords reform.
( 51337 )
*45 Mr Paul Tyler (North Cornwall): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals he has to discourage honourable Members from bringing their private vehicles into Central London.
( 51338 )
*46 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle): To ask the President of the Council, when the House of Lords Appointments Commission is to take its roadshow around the country to solicit applications from aspiring people's peers.
( 51340 )
*47 Julie Morgan (Cardiff North): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals he plans to put before the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons for improving the system of public information relating to proceedings in the House.
( 51341 )
*48 Andrew Bennett (Denton & Reddish): To ask the President of the Council, what steps he is taking to take forward reform of select committees; and if he will make a statement.
( 51342 )
*49 Mr Simon Thomas (Ceredigion): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to bring forward proposals to provide more opportunities and mechanisms for the debate of bills relating exclusively to Wales.
( 51343 )
*50 Caroline Flint (Don Valley): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, if he will make a statement on the progress being made to improve childcare facilities on the parliamentary estate.
( 51344 )
*51 Mr Chris Bryant (Rhondda): To ask the President of the Council, if he will make a statement on his proposals for carrying over bills from one session to another.
( 51345 )

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion

  1  

WASTE        [Up to 20 minutes]

Joan Ruddock

        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to grant additional powers to local authorities in England and Wales for the enforcement of controls and for the prosecution of offences relating to the unauthorised or harmful deposit, treatment or disposal of waste and the transporting of controlled waste without registering; to amend the Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989 and Part II of the Environmental Protection Act 1990; and for connected purposes.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

+  2  

FINANCE BILL:      Second Reading.        [Until any hour]

Mr Iain Duncan Smith
Mr Michael Howard [R]
Mr John Bercow [R]
Mr Howard Flight [R]
Mr David Lidington
Mr Christopher Chope [R]

        That this House declines to give a Second Reading to the Finance Bill because the provisions contained in its two volumes and 488 pages increase the burden of taxation on important sectors of the economy; fail to make adequate commitments about taxation and personal allowances in future years; and will have a negative impact on competitiveness and the attractiveness of the UK as a location for investment.

        The Second Report from the Treasury Committee, Session 2001-02, on Budget 2002, HC 780, is relevant.

Debate may continue until any hour.

Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer        [Up to 20 minutes]

        After Second Reading of the Finance Bill, to move that—

    (1)   Clauses 4, 19, 23, 26 to 29, 87 to 92, 131 and 134 and Schedules 1, 5 and 38 be committed to a Committee of the whole House;

    (2)   the remainder of the Bill be committed to a Standing Committee;

    (3)   when the provisions of the Bill considered, respectively, by the Committee of the whole House and by the Standing Committee have been reported to the House, the Bill be proceeded with as if the Bill had been reported as a whole to the House from the Standing Committee.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 63(3)).

+  3  

FINANCE BILL

Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

        That, during the proceedings on the Finance Bill, the Standing Committee on the Bill shall have leave to sit twice on the first day on which it shall meet.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

+  4  

POLICE.        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Blunkett

        That the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (Codes of Practice) (Visual Recording of Interviews) Order 2002, dated 11th April 2002, a copy of which was laid before this House on 15th April 2002, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  5  

ADJOURNMENT        [No debate]

Mr Robin Cook

        That this House, at its rising on Friday 24th May, do adjourn till Monday 10th June.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 25).

  6  

DRAFT COMMUNICATIONS BILL (JOINT COMMITTEE)        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

        That the Lords Message of 29th April relating to a Joint Committee of both Houses to consider and report on any draft Communications Bill presented to both Houses by a Minister of the Crown be now considered.

        That this House concurs with the Lords in their Resolution relating to the said Joint Committee.

        That a Select Committee of six honourable Members be appointed to join with the Committee appointed by the Lords to consider any such draft Communications Bill.

        That the Committee shall have power—

         (i)   to send for persons, papers and records;

      (ii)   to sit notwithstanding any adjournment of the House;

      (iii)   to report from time to time;

      (iv)   to appoint specialist advisers;

      (v)   to adjourn from place to place within the United Kingdom; and

        That Paul Farrelly, Mr John Grogan, Nick Harvey, Miss Anne McIntosh, Anne Picking and Brian White be members of the Committee.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

At the end of the sitting

  7  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Government support for recycling projects (Mr Denis Murphy).

        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Standing Committee B4.30 p.m.Room 12 (public)
Further to consider the Enterprise Bill.
2Standing Committee E4.30 p.m.Room 10 (public)
To consider the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill.
3Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m.Room 11 (public)
To consider the Local Government Finance (England) Special Grant Report (No. 96) (HC 710), on Special Grants for School Standards and Support of Post-Sixteen Budgets.

SELECT COMMITTEES

4Deregulation and Regulatory Reform9.30 a.m.Room 19 (private)
5Transport, Local Government and the Regions: Urban Affairs Sub-Committee9.45 a.m.
10.00 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: The Need for a New European Regeneration Framework.
Witnesses: Arlene McCarthy MEP; and Lord Falconer of Thoroton QC, Minister for Local Government and the Regions (at approximately 10.20 a.m.).
6Home Affairs10. 15 a.m.


10.30 a.m.
The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC).
Witnesses: Sir Frederick Crawford, Chairman, Jacky Courtney, Chief Executive, Dr James MacKeith, Commission Member, and Mr David Jessel, Commission Member, Criminal Cases Review Commission.
7International Development2.45 p.m.
3.00 p.m.
Room 5 (private)
(public)
Subject: Financing for Development.
Witnesses: Overseas Development Institute; Professor Spahn, Goethe University, Frankfurt, and War on Want (at approximately 3.40 p.m.).
8Transport, Local Government and the Region4.00 p.m.Room 6 (private)
9Trade and Industry4.00 p.m.


4.15 p.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Fuel Poverty.
Witnesses: energywatch.
10Environmental Audit4.10 p.m.
4.30 p.m.
Room 20 (private)
(public)
Subject: Sustainable Energy.
Witnesses: Mr Callum McCarthy, Chairman and Director, Mr John Neilson, Managing Director, Customer and Supply Division, Mr Nick Simpson, Director, Industry Codes and Mr John Scott, Technical Director, OFGEM.
11Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after the Joint Committee meetingRoom 7 (private)
12Foreign Affairs4.45 p.m.
5.00 p.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: Zimbabwe.
Witnesses: Mr Fergal Keene OBE, Special Correspondent, BBC News, and Mr Richard Dowden, Writer on African Affairs.

JOINT COMMITTEES

13Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)
14Consolidation, &c., Bills4.30 p.m.Room 4 (public)
Subject: European Parliamentary Election Bill [HL] [HL Bill 12].
Witnesses: Mr David Sprackling, Draftsman of the Bill, Ms Naomi Passman, and Mr Malcolm Rawlings, Department for Transport, Local Government and the Regions.

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

 
 

Written Questions tabled on Monday 29th April for answer today++

1 Mr Mike Hall (Weaver Vale): To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, when the outcome of the Second Stage of the Quinquennial Review of the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils will be announced; and what were the main recommendations associated with the implementation of a strategic ownership model.
( 53818 )
2 Lawrie Quinn (Scarborough & Whitby): To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, if he will make a statement on the (a) amendment and (b) repeal under section 75 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 of legislation prohibiting the disclosure of information.
( 53819 )
3 Joyce Quin (Gateshead East & Washington West): To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, when the Government will accede to the UNESCO 1970 Convention on the means of prohibiting and preventing the illicit import, export and transfer of ownership of cultural property.
( 53820 )
4 Judy Mallaber (Amber Valley): To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, if she will make a statement on the new award for voluntary service by groups in the community.
( 53821 )
5 Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South): To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, when she intends to publish the Marine Stewardship Report; and if she will make a statement.
( 53919 )
6 Mr Jim Murphy (Eastwood): To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, when he intends to publish the Ninth Annual Report of the Independent Commissioner for Detained Terrorist Suspects.
( 53944 )
7 Mr Jim Murphy (Eastwood): To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, when he will publish the latest report received from the Oversight Commissioner.
( 53945 )
8 Mr Jim Murphy (Eastwood): To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, when he will announce a decision on the future of the Compensation Agency.
( 53946 )
9 Dr Phyllis Starkey (Milton Keynes South West): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how he will use the additional resources allocated to his Department in the Budget statement.
( 53947 )
10 Mr Russell Brown (Dumfries): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what the outcome is of the review of parole and lifer processes announced by the Right honourable Member for Brent South in February 2000.
( 53948 )
11 Mrs Joan Humble (Blackpool North & Fleetwood): To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the forthcoming business in the Council of the European Union for May; and if he will list the major European Union events for the period between 31st May and October.
( 54007 )
12 Mrs Joan Humble (Blackpool North & Fleetwood): To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, when he will visit Gibraltar; and if he will make a statement.
( 54008 )
13 Mr Tom Harris (Glasgow, Cathcart): To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what plans have been made for the review of Northern Ireland's policing arrangements that arose from the discussions at Weston Park; and when legislation will be introduced.
( 54009 )
14 Mr Terry Rooney (Bradford North): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, when the information-gathering powers contained in the Social Security Fraud Act 2001 will be brought into effect.
( 54010 )
15 Mr Terry Rooney (Bradford North): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what performance targets he has set for the Child Support Agency for 2002-03; and when he will publish business plans for the Child Support Agency, Child Benefit Centre and the Disability and Carers Service.
( 54011 )
16 Jean Corston (Bristol East): To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, whether the UK intends to sign and ratify Protocol 13 to the European Convention on Human Rights, on the death penalty, when it is opened for signature.
( 54031 )



 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 30 April 2002