House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001- 02
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business Tuesday 6 Nov 2001

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for Tuesday 6 Nov 2001.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers
Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 John Robertson (Glasgow, Anniesland):    If she will make a statement on proposed changes to the Scotland Act 1998 to alter the number of members of the Scottish Parliament.
( 10309 )
*2 Jim Sheridan (West Renfrewshire):    If she will make a statement on the impact on the civil aviation industry in Scotland of the terrorist attacks in the United States.
( 10310 )
*3 Mr Iain Luke (Dundee East):    If she will make a statement on the joint work of the Government and the Scottish Executive to combat poverty.
( 10311 )
*4 Mr Tom Harris (Glasgow, Cathcart):    What steps she is taking to encourage people in Scotland to register to vote.
( 10312 )
*5 Mr Peter Duncan (Galloway & Upper Nithsdale):    When she last met the Scottish Executive's Minister for Enterprise to discuss the prospects for the Scottish small business sector.
( 10313 )
*6 Mr Russell Brown (Dumfries):    Whether the Scotland Office has made a submission to the PIU Energy Review.
( 10314 )
*7 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    What discussions she has had with the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions regarding transferring attendance allowance resources to the Scottish Executive in order to ensure that free personal care for elderly people is implemented from April 2002.
( 10315 )
*8 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    When she last met officials from the Boundary Commission for Scotland.
( 10316 )
*9 Sir Robert Smith (West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine):    What discussions she has had with the Secretary of State for Transport as to the consequences for rail travel in Scotland of the decision to put Railtrack into administration.
( 10317 )
*10 Ann McKechin (Glasgow, Maryhill):    What plans the Government has to adjust the number of members of the Scottish Parliament.
( 10318 )
*11 Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    If she will consult (a) the Scottish Parliament and (b) others on the size of the Scottish Parliament.
( 10319 )
*12 Mr David Stewart (Inverness East, Nairn & Lochaber):    What recent discussions she has had with the First Minister about her visits abroad to promote tourism in Scotland.
( 10320 )
*13 Mr James Clappison (Hertsmere):    If she will make a statement on employment trends in Scotland since September.
( 10321 )
*14 Mr Michael Fallon (Sevenoaks):    When she last discussed the future of the Barnett Formula with Treasury Ministers.
( 10323 )
*15 Mr Hugo Swire (East Devon):    When she last met the Secretary of State for Defence to discuss the future of Army installations in Scotland.
( 10324 )
*16 Mr Alan Reid (Argyll & Bute):    What plans she has to issue tender documents for the ferry service between Campbeltown and Ballycastle.
( 10325 )
*17 Mr Michael Weir (Angus):    What action she has taken to ascertain public opinion on the possible siting of new nuclear reactors in Scotland.
( 10326 )
*18 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk):    When she next expects to meet representatives of the Scottish Executive to discuss rural employment.
( 10327 )
*19 Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    What action she has taken since 11th September relating to security against terrorist attacks.
( 10328 )
*20 Mr Ian Davidson (Glasgow, Pollok):    What plans she has for amendments to the proportional representation element of the system of election to the Scottish Parliament.
( 10329 )
*21 Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):    What recent action she has taken to support business operations in Scotland.
( 10330 )
*22 John Barrett (Edinburgh West):    What action the Government is taking to improve security at Scottish airports.
( 10331 )
*23 Mr Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield):    What recent discussions she has held with the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions on the operation of the Barnett Formula.
( 10332 )

At 2.55 pm
Oral Questions to the Advocate General for Scotland
*24 John Robertson (Glasgow, Anniesland):    How many bills in the Scottish Parliament the Advocate General has sought amendments to since May.
( 10333 )
*25 Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    What recent discussions she has had on the interrelationship between the Scotland Act 1998 and the Human Rights Act 1998.
( 10335 )
*26 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What recent advice she has given on the application of the Human Rights Act 1998 on asylum cases.
( 10336 )
*27 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    What assessment she has made of the adequacy of legal representation available to asylum seekers in Scotland.
( 10337 )

At 3.00 pm
Oral Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department
*28 Mr David Kidney (Stafford):    What action he is taking in response to the High Court decision relating to self-employed guardians ad litem and CAFCASS.
( 10338 )
*29 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    If he will make a statement on the Children and Family Courts Advisory and Support Service.
( 10339 )
*30 Paddy Tipping (Sherwood):    What assessment he has made of the effectiveness of CAFCASS during its first six months of operation.
( 10340 )
*31 Mr Colin Challen (Morley & Rothwell):    What steps he proposes to take to obtain equal representation of all areas in Leeds following the merger of the existing petty sessional areas into one area.
( 10341 )
*32 Margaret Moran (Luton South):    What plans he has to introduce third party orders for cases of domestic violence.
( 10342 )
*33 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    If he will establish a judicial appointments commission.
( 10343 )
*34 Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South):    If he will make a statement on the progress of the work to develop a national strategy for the recruitment of lay magistrates.
( 10344 )
*35 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk):    What plans he has to encourage recruitment to the lay magistracy; and if he will make a statement.
( 10345 )
*36 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire):    What changes he expects in the role of magistrates in response to the Auld proposals.
( 10346 )
*37 Bob Russell (Colchester):    If he will make a statement on the establishment of a new courthouse in Colchester.
( 10347 )
*38 Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    What research he has planned in respect of the effect of the award of costs on access to tribunals.
( 10348 )
*39 Mr Chris Pond (Gravesham):    What representations he has received concerning the performance of the Westminster Coroner.
( 10349 )
*40 Mr David Heath (Somerton & Frome):    What discussions he has had with the Prime Minister on the future role of the Community Legal Service Fund in employment tribunals.
( 10350 )
*41 Ms Dari Taylor (Stockton South):    What part the new community legal service partnerships play in reducing social exclusion.
( 10351 )
*42 Mr Simon Thomas (Ceredigion):    If he will make a statement on his response to Ceredigion County Council's proposals for magistrates' courts in the county.
( 10352 )

At 3.15 pm
Oral Questions to the President of the Council, the honourable Member answering for the House of Commons Commission and the Chairman of the Finance and Services Committee
*43 Caroline Flint (Don Valley): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals he has to reform the timetable of the business of the House.
( 10353 )
*44 Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, what his targets are for the recycling of paper on the parliamentary estate.
( 10354 )
*45 Mr David Heath (Somerton & Frome): To ask the President of the Council, if he will bring forward proposals to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons for reform of the process for tabling parliamentary questions.
( 10355 )
*46 Margaret Moran (Luton South): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to allow on-line consultation on draft bills.
( 10356 )
*47 Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals he has for reform of the pattern of sittings of the House; and if he will make a statement.
( 10357 )
*48 Ann Coffey (Stockport): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has for wider consultation of the public on modernisation of the House.
( 10358 )
*49 Mr Peter Pike (Burnley): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to make proposals to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons to improve the scrutiny of legislation.
( 10359 )
*50 Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South): To ask the President of the Council, if he will make a statement on progress in the modernisation of the House.
( 10360 )
*51 Mr Simon Thomas (Ceredigion): To ask the President of the Council, if he will bring forward proposals to improve the legislative function of Grand Committees.
( 10361 )
*52 Mr Martin Salter (Reading West): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, what proposals he has for using IT to improve access to the business of the House to the public.
( 10362 )
*53 Anne Picking (East Lothian): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to improve the parlimentary scrutiny of bills.
( 10363 )
*54 Charlotte Atkins (Staffordshire Moorlands): To ask the President of the Council, if he will make a statement on the operation of the new computer contract for honourable Members.
( 10364 )
*55 Joan Ryan (Enfield North): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to make proposals for greater involvement of select committees in pre-legislative scrutiny.
( 10365 )
*56 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle): To ask the President of the Council, when the House of Lords Appointments Commission is to hold its next roadshows to encourage people to apply for peerages.
( 10366 )
*57 Mr Michael Jack (Fylde): To ask the President of the Council, if he will make proposals to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons on further ways in which information technology might aid the work of honourable Members in the course of their standing committee work.
( 10367 )

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion

  1  

MOVEMENT OF FARM ANIMALS        [Up to 20 minutes]

Mr David Taylor

        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to limit journey times in respect of the transport of animals to slaughter; to promote the establishment of a network of local slaughterhouses; to limit the frequency with which animals may be brought to market in any twenty-day period; and for connected purposes.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

  2  

OPPOSITION DAY [4th allotted day]        [Until 10.00 p.m.]

  

THE CRISIS IN THE GOVERNMENT'S EDUCATION AND LIFELONG LEARNING POLICIES

Mr Iain Duncan Smith
Mr Damian Green
Mr Graham Brady
Alistair Burt
Mrs Eleanor Laing
David Maclean

        That this House notes the mounting evidence of crisis throughout education; deplores the Government's conduct in first ignoring evidence of fraud involving Individual Learning Accounts and subsequently stopping ILAs without notice; regrets the growth of paperwork that is driving good teachers out of schools; further regrets the failure of the Government to allow parents a real choice of schools for their children in many parts of the country; condemns the Government's system of student support, which has discouraged applicants from poorer families and urges the Government to institute a proper public consultation on its replacement; congratulates those teachers and students who are achieving good results despite the Government's interference; and believes that standards will not be improved if the Government maintains its current policy of constant interference in the day-to-day running of education.

        As Amendments to Mr Iain Duncan Smith's proposed Motion (The Crisis in the Government's Education and Lifelong Learning Policies):

The Prime Minister
Mr Secretary Prescott
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
Mr Secretary Cook
Mr Secretary Straw
Secretary Estelle Morris

        Line      1,      leave out from `House' to end and add, `notes that by 1997 the education system had suffered from 18 years of neglect, schools funding had been cut, nearly half of 11 years olds were failing to reach expected levels in maths and English, teacher numbers had fallen by 30,000, nearly half a million infants were in large classes and roughly seven million adults suffered from inadequate basic skills; welcomes the substantial progress made since then, including: education spending rising as a share of GDP to 5 per cent., record results at Key Stage 2, 11,000 more teachers in schools and infant and primary class sizes reduced; further notes that recruitment to initial teacher training rose by 5 per cent. last year, the second year's rise after eight years of decline; supports the Government's plans for continued investment in and reform of education, and its central goals of transforming secondary education to ensure higher standards for all, giving more people the chance to learn; further supports the Government's pledge to expand higher education so that 50 per cent. of 18 to 30 year olds can benefit from higher education by 2010; welcomes the announcement of a review of the student support system in the light of this recent pledge; recognises the success of Individual Learning Accounts, while understanding the necessary public interest case for suspending them; and believes that the Government's education policies form a coherent and radical programme that will deliver its ambitious targets and move the education system away from the neglect and waste of individuals' talents between 1979 and 1997.'.

Mr Elfyn Llwyd
Mr Simon Thomas
Adam Price

        Line      1,      leave out after `House' to end and add, `notes the mounting evidence of crisis throughout education; is alarmed at the under-funding of education in Wales, leading to a crisis in confidence in teachers and further and higher education staff; is dismayed that the Government continues with its discredited funding regime for higher education students; commends the Rees Report to the National Assembly for Wales for revealing the disastrous consequences of this regime on students from poorer backgrounds in particular; further notes that the Research Funding Councils under-fund higher education research in Wales; regrets the imposition of performance-related pay for teachers in Wales; and demands that the National Assembly for Wales be given the necessary legislative responsibility and financial resources to tackle these failures.'.

The selection of the matters to be debated this day has been made by the Leader of the Opposition (Standing Order No.   14(2)).

Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.

+  3  

INTERNATIONAL IMMUNITIES AND PRIVILEGES        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Straw

        That the draft European Communities (Privileges of the European School) Order 2001, which was laid before this House on 15th October, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  4  

INTERNATIONAL IMMUNITIES AND PRIVILEGES        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Straw

        That the draft European Communities (Definition of Treaties) (European School) Order 2001, which was laid before this House on 15th October, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  5  

INTERNATIONAL IMMUNITIES AND PRIVILEGES        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Straw

        That the draft European Communities (Immunities and Privileges of the North Atlantic Salmon Conservation Organization) Order 2001, which was laid before this House on 15th October, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  6  

INTERNATIONAL IMMUNITIES AND PRIVILEGES        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Straw

        That the draft European Communities (Definition of Treaties) (North Atlantic Salmon Conservation Organization) Order 2001, which was laid before this House on 15th October, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  7  

INTERNATIONAL IMMUNITIES AND PRIVILEGES        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Straw

        That the draft Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (Immunities and Privileges) Order 2001, which was laid before this House on 17th October, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  8  

NORTHERN IRELAND        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Reid

        That the draft Northern Ireland Act 1998 (Amendment of Enactment) Order 2001, which was laid before this House on 16th October, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  9  

PRISONS        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Reid

        That the Northern Ireland (Sentences) Act 1998 (Specified Organizations) Order 2001 (S.I., 2001, No. 3411), dated 12th October 2001, a copy of which was laid before this House on 17th October, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  10  

NORTHERN IRELAND        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Reid

        That the Northern Ireland Act 2000 (Suspension of Devolved Government) Order 2001 (S.I., 2001, No. 2884), dated 10th August 2001, a copy of which was laid before this House on 13th August, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  11  

NORTHERN IRELAND        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Reid

        That the Northern Ireland Act 2000 (Restoration of Devolved Government) Order 2001 (S.I., 2001, No. 2895), dated 11th August 2001, a copy of which was laid before this House on 13th August, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  12  

NORTHERN IRELAND        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Reid

        That the Northern Ireland Act 2000 (Suspension of Devolved Government) (No.   2) Order 2001 (S.I., 2001, No.   3230), dated 21st September 2001, a copy of which was laid before this House on 26th September, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  13  

NORTHERN IRELAND        [No debate]

Mr Secretary Reid

        That the Northern Ireland Act 2000 (Restoration of Devolved Government) (No.   2) Order 2001 (S.I., 2001, No.   3231), dated 22nd September 2001, a copy of which was laid before this House on 26th September, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

+  14  

SEA FISHERIES        [No debate]

Secretary Margaret Beckett

        That the Fishing Vessels (Decommissioning) Scheme 2001 (S.I., 2001, No. 3390) dated 10th October 2001, a copy of which was laid before this House on 12th October, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

At the end of the sitting:

  15  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Explosion at Cleansing Services Group Ltd, Sandhurst (Mr Laurence Robertson).

        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Special Standing Committee3.45 p.m.The Boothroyd Room, Portcullis House (private)
To consider the Adoption and Children Bill.
2Standing Committee A10.30 a.m.Room 12 (public)
To consider the Sex Discrimination (Election Candidates) Bill.
3Ninth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation10.30 a.m.Room 9 (public)
To consider the draft European Communities (Definition of Treaties) (Partnership Agreement between the Members of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States and the European Community and its Member States (The Cotonou Agreement)) Order 2001.

SELECT COMMITTEES

4Deregulation and Regulatory Reform9.30 a.m.Room 20 (private)
5Environment, Food and Rural Affairs9.45 a.m.


10.00 a.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Animal Health Bill.
Witness: Mr Elliot Morley, MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
6International Development10.00 a.m.Room 5 (public)
7Treasury10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
Subject: Departmental Reports Review.
Witnesses: Officials of HM Treasury.
8Home Affairs10.15 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: The Government's Drugs Policy: Is it working?
Witnesses: Mr Danny Kushlick, Transform, Mr Conor McNicholas, Muzik Magazine, Mr Roger Warren Evans, The Angel Declaration, Mr Alan Buffry, Legalise Cannabis Alliance and Mr Nick Davies, The Guardian.
9Culture, Media and Sport10.30 a.m.Room 7 (private)
10Standards and Privileges10.30 a.m.Room 13 (private)
11Welsh Affairs11.00 a.m.The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
12Transport, Local Government and the Regions2.30 p.m.Town Hall, Manchester (public)
Subject: Empty Homes.
Witnesses: Abbey Hey Residents Association; Mohammed Athar, Harvest Housing Group and Riverside Housing Association (at 3.00 p.m.); Government Office for the North West and Housing Corporation (North) (at 3.50 p.m.); Manchester City Council and Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council (at 4.20 p.m.).
13Trade and Industry4.00 p.m.The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
14Procedure4.30 p.m.Room 8 (private)
15Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after the meeting of the Joint Committee on Statutory InstrumentsRoom 7 (private)

JOINT COMMITTEE

16Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

 
 

Written Questions tabled on Monday 5th November for answer today++

1 Dr Phyllis Starkey (Milton Keynes South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, when he will lay before Parliament the model code of conduct for members of relevant authorities under the Local Government Act 2000; and if he will make a statement.
( 13166 )
2 Mrs Anne Campbell (Cambridge): To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what arrangements are being made to publicise the United Kingdom's policies on international humanitarian law, with particular reference to the International Criminal Court.
( 13195 )
3 Lawrie Quinn (Scarborough & Whitby): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement about the review of the criteria for the voluntary registration of charities.
( 13196 )
4 John Austin (Erith & Thamesmead): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he will publish the review of the working of ethical review processes in establishments designated under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986; and if he will make a statement.
( 13248 )
5 Mr James Plaskitt (Warwick & Leamington): To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, when she will publish draft guidance on quality parishes.
( 13249 )
6 Barbara Follett (Stevenage): To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will make a statement on euro preparations.
( 13250 )



 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2001
Prepared 6 November 2001