Letter to Mr William Sullivan from the
Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards
You may be aware that I am investigating allegations
that during the election campaign for the Scottish Parliament
Dr Reid and Mr Maxton deployed staff, who were paid from Westminster
allowances, on the Labour Party campaign.
I am writing to you to seek your assistance with
my enquiry into these matters.
I understand that during the period April 1998 to
December 1999 you would have had information concerning the employment
of Mr Kevin Reid, Ms Suzanne Hilliard and Mr Chris Winslow.
I would be grateful if you would let me have answers
to the following questions:
1. Who were the employers of Mr Kevin Reid,
Ms Suzanne Hilliard and Mr Chris Winslow during the period April
1998 to December 1999?
2. Were their contracts to these employers
full or part time? (If part time, please give contracted hours.)
3. How many hours per day on average did
they each work for the Labour Party campaign?
4. How many hours per day did they each
work for other employers during the period?
5. Between which dates did each of them
work on the Labour Party campaign?
6. Were you party to or aware of discussions
concerning the employment of any of these three people? If so
please give details, dates and specify those present.
7. Were you aware of any person`s concern
about any of these employments during the period April 1998-December
1999? If so please give details.
8. Has Suzanne Hilliard told you at any
time who paid her? If so please give details.
9. Did Suzanne Hilliard tell you that while
working on the campaign she was being paid by Mr Maxton? If so
please give details.
10. Please would you let me have any further
information which might assist me in my enquiry.
You may prefer to discuss these matters in the first
instance and if so please would you telephone this office to arrange
a convenient time for a telephone discussion or meeting.
May I thank you in advance for your help.
17 March 2000