Memorandum submitted by World Renewable
1. Wind and Tidal Energy is a very viable
energy option in this country. It has been demonstrated globally
and applied on a practical and commercial basis in many parts
of the world, to name a few, India, Japan, France, Norway and
2. It will become more commercially viable
and cost-effective by 2012.
3. There are a few projects in the UK, mostly
in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
4. It should be a higher priority in the
Government's strategy for renewable energy. At the moment it is
not of high priority.
5. For research and development I recommend
5 million a year to uplift this area in research and development
given to most institutions and personnel who deal with wind and
tidal energy with the aim to encourage and enhance more research
on the subject.
6. There is hardly any diverse impact on
the environment, on the contrary it will reduce the CO2 emissions
and make Britain a better country to live in.
7. As for Britain's involvement in wave
and tidal energy we are well behind in comparison with our European
neighbouring countries as well as the rest of the world, given
the fact that we have the best wind and tidal energy in this country.
15 January 2001