Memorandum by Sheringham Town Council
This Council has maintained the Town Cemetery
since re-organisation of Local Government back in 1974.
The Parish Church in the centre of the town
which was constructed between 1895/97 was originally a Church
of Ease, burials taking place at the former Town Church in the
now separate Parish of Upper Sheringham. Residents from one of
the Towns electoral wards (current electorate 822) have retained
certain rights of burial at the near by Beeston Parish Church.
The Town Cemetery opened in 1922 covers an area
of approximately four and a half acres. At present burial rates
some 50 per year there is adequate space for the foreseeable future.
It is funded through the Parish Precept, maintained by a local
employeewho has other dutieswith some of the costs
being recovered through normal burial charges.
One of the main concerns of Members is the application
of a business rate to this facility; which currently stands at
£773.33 with phasing relief of £349.87 on a rateable
value of £2,700.00. It receives no services from any other
authorities; water rates and the cost of refuse collection being
met by the Town Precept. Members had been advised that no such
charges are made for Church Graveyards and request the Sub-committee
to address this anomaly.
Members consider the Cemetery, which includes
a memorial wall for the burial of ashes, to be a proper charge
on the Town Precept and have been pleased to receive favourable
comments from independent assessors for its general landscaping