House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2000-01
Publications on the internet
The Order Book

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on Wednesday 20 December 2000

Here you can browse the Written Questions for answer on Wednesday 20 December, of which previous notice has been given in the Notices of Questions paper. They are arranged in alphabetical order of answering Department.

Notes:
* Indicates a Question for Oral Answer.
+ Indicates a Question not included in the random selection process but accepted because the quota for that day had not been filled.
[N] Indicates a Question for Written Answer on a named day, i.e. the Member has indicated under S.O. No. 22(4) the day on which he wishes the Question to be answered.
[R] Indicates that a relevant interest has been declared.
 


 
WEDNESDAY 20th DECEMBER
1  
N  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, who chaired the July meeting of the Interdepartmental Group on animal welfare; for what reason no meeting has taken place since July; and what is on the agenda of the next meeting.
(143404)
2  
N  
Mr Richard Livsey (Brecon and Radnorshire):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what estimate he has made of the quantity of ruminant meat and bonemeal exported from the United Kingdom between 18th July 1988 and 20th March 1996.
(142893)
3  
N  
Mr Richard Livsey (Brecon and Radnorshire):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what licensing arrangements were in force between 18th July 1988 and 20th March 1996 for the export of ruminant MBM from the United Kingdom.
(142894)
4  
N  
Mr Richard Livsey (Brecon and Radnorshire):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what meat and bonemeal has been exported from the United Kingdom since 20th March 1996.
(142895)
5  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, how much agrimonetary compensation available in 1999-2000 has not yet been paid to UK farmers.
(143841)
6  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what representations he has received on the number of job losses over the period (a) October 1998 to September 1999 and (b) October 1999 to September 2000 in (i) the cereals sector, (ii) the pig farming sector, (iii) the dairy sector and (iv) the hill-farming sector; and what forecasts he has made for employment in those sectors for the year October 2000 to September 2001.
(143840)
7  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, how many cattle, slaughtered as a consequence of the anti-BSE measures, are held in cold stores in the United Kingdom; and at what cost.
(143316)
8  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what the approved method is of disposal of cattle slaughtered as an anti-BSE measure; how many cattle have been disposed of by this method; what are the unit costs; and how much has been spent to date on the disposal of carcases.
(143317)
9  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what discussions he has had with the United States Department of Agriculture and with the Irish Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs about the alkaline hydroosis at elevated temperature technology for the disposal of infected cattle carcases; and what conclusions he has drawn about its use in England.
(143318)
10  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, for what scientific reasons regulations governing animal waste by-products do not include the hydrolosis process as an approved method.
(143319)
11  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what assessment he has made of the extent to which residual ash following the incineration of cattle may still contain proteins.
(143320)
12  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what research he is undertaking into alternatives to the incineration of cattle slaughtered as an anti-BSE measure.
(143324)
13  
  
Dr Brian Iddon (Bolton South East):    To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, what plans the Deregulation Unit has to consider the costs of regulatory compliance borne by not-for-profit organisations, with special reference to the Bolton and District Hospital Saturday.
(143680)
14  
N  
Ms Ruth Kelly (Bolton West):    To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, if she will make a statement on the progress being made on the British-Irish Council.
(141758)
15  
  
Mr David Lidington (Aylesbury):    To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, what steps have been taken by the office of the e-envoy to encourage the effective use of the internet by charities and not-for-profit organisations.
(143689)
16  
  
Mr David Lidington (Aylesbury):    To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, what research has been commissioned by the office of the e-envoy into the use of the internet by charities and not-for-profit organisations.
(143690)
17  
N  
Mr Robert Maclennan (Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross):    To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, which task forces, reviews and ad hoc bodies created before December 1998 and named in the list which she deposited in the Library on 27th July have been (a) disbanded, (b) converted into a non-departmental public body and (c) continue to operate in the same form.
(143626)
18  
N  
Mr Lawrie Quinn (Scarborough and Whitby):    To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, if she will make a statement on the progress being made on the British-Irish Council.
(141767)
19  
N  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, for what reason issues relating to BBC World were not addressed in the Communications White Paper; and if he will make a statement in respect of his policy towards BBC World.
(143406)
20  
N  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, to whom copies of the Communications White Paper were supplied before 15.30 on 12th December other than the Vote Office of the House of Commons.
(143403)
21  
  
Mr Douglas Alexander (Paisley South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what assessment he has made of the effectiveness of the ONE pilot initiatives.
(143640)
22  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what proportion of children of compulsory school age in each local education authority in England are (a) educated in that authority's special schools, (b) educated in special provision in that authority's mainstream schools, (c) receiving special education in private schools or in another local education authority, (d) educated otherwise and (e) not being educated.
(143439)
23  
N  
Mr David Chaytor (Bury North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, if he will list, for each local education authority in England, the proposed education standard spending assessment per (a) primary and (b) secondary pupil for 2001-02, together with the equivalent figures for each of the last five years.
(142853)
24  
N  
Gillian Merron (Lincoln):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what assessment he has made of the operation of the way into work pilot schemes to assist disabled people.
(143632)
25  
  
Mr Eric Pickles (Brentwood and Ongar):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what proportion of the allocation of funds for additional capital projects, announced by the Chancellor of the Exchequer in his Autumn Statement for Secondary Schools in Essex (a) is new money and (b) flows from previous announcements.
(143670)
26  
  
Mr Eric Pickles (Brentwood and Ongar):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, for what reason the allocation of funds for additonal capital projects in secondary schools in the parliamentary constituency of Brentwood and Ongar is less than £30,000 per school.
(143667)
27  
  
Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what criteria have to be met for registration as an independent school; and how many have been so registered in each year since 1990.
(143769)
28  
N  
Mr Phil Willis (Harrogate and Knaresborough):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, if he will list the starting salary for honours graduates qualifying as newly qualified teachers, in each year from 1974, at 2000 prices.
(143633)
29  
N  
Mr Phil Willis (Harrogate and Knaresborough):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, if he will make a statement on the (a) vacancy levels and (b) turnover rate amongst (i) parent, (ii) LEA and (iii) co-opted school governors; and what principles underlay his proposals for streamlining governing bodies.
(143598)
30  
N  
Mr Phil Willis (Harrogate and Knaresborough):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what the cost was of the implementation of the ITT skills tests in numeracy, literacy and ICT; and if he will make statement.
(143634)
31  
  
Mr Hilary Benn (Leeds Central):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what steps he is taking including relevant research to promote sustainable urban drainage; and if he will make a statement.
(143850)
32  
N  
Mr David Chaytor (Bury North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what assessment he has made of the impact of (a) the September oil refinery blockades and (b) measures taken by Railtrack following the Hatfield rail crash on (i) local air quality, (ii) urban congestion and (iii) the number of road accidents.
(142852)
33  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what advice is given by his Department to English local authorities concerning the provision of public toilets; and if he will publish the standard spending assessment element for each local authority for the current and forthcoming year for the provision of toilets for public use.
(143415)
34  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what advice is given by his Department to English local authorities concerning the provision of public toilets.
(143416)
35  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what recent information has been received by his Department concerning changes in air temperature, precipitation and ice cover in Antarctica; and if he will make a statement.
(143412)
36  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what criteria he proposes to use for future standard spending assessments for Inner London local authorities; and if he will make a statement.
(143411)
37  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what total Government expenditure on the London Borough of Islington (a) was for each of the past five years and (b) is planned for 2001-02, broken down into (i) revenue support order standard spending assessment (ii) education special projects, (iii) housing capital spending, (iv) single regeneration budget and (v) crime prevention.
(143399)
38  
  
Mrs Gwyneth Dunwoody (Crewe and Nantwich):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will hold discussions with the Health and Security Executive, the relevant companies and the trades unions in the railway industry to establish a uniform set of safety standards in the industry.
(143763)
39  
  
Mrs Gwyneth Dunwoody (Crewe and Nantwich):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will discuss with the management of Railtrack the criteria for the issuing of contracts for maintenance and renewal, and the priority given to (a) quality and (b) price.
(143756)
40  
  
Mrs Gwyneth Dunwoody (Crewe and Nantwich):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will list (a) the companies with contracts for maintenance and renewals working the railway industry and (b) length of each contract.
(143765)
41  
  
Mrs Gwyneth Dunwoody (Crewe and Nantwich):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what the total sale prices were of the British Rail infrastructure companies at the time of privatisation; and how many staff were employed by them.
(143766)
42  
  
Mrs Gwyneth Dunwoody (Crewe and Nantwich):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will call a conference of infrastructure and maintenance companies and the relevant trade unions working in the railway system, to prepare a planned investment, maintenance and renewal programme for the entire railway system.
(143762)
43  
  
Mrs Gwyneth Dunwoody (Crewe and Nantwich):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what directions are issued to staff employing ultrasonic rail floor detectors in the event of their discovering cracks in the rail.
(143764)
44  
  
Mr Jimmy Hood (Clydesdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what the outcome was of the Environment Council held in Brussels on 18th and 19th December; and if he will make a statement.
(143755)
45  
  
Mr Nigel Waterson (Eastbourne):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, when he will provide amended figures for standing spending assessments in 2001-02 for those local authorities with housing responsiblities which have been given inaccurate information by his Department.
(143668)
46  
  
Mr Nigel Waterson (Eastbourne):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will list those local authorities with housing responsibilities which have been given inaccurate figures by his Department for their standing spending assessments in 2001-02; and if he will make a statement.
(143669)
47  
N  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what recent assessment he has made of criminal activity affecting the petrol retailing sector within Northern Ireland.
(141763)
48  
N  
Mr James Clappison (Hertsmere):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what assessment he has made of the cost of the climate change levy for UK salt manufacturers; and what representations he has received from them.
(143624)
49  
  
Mr James Clappison (Hertsmere):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what proportion of the proceeds from the climate change levy he estimates will be obtained from electricity generated from (a) nuclear power, (b) hydro-electric power and (c) renewable sources.
(143681)
50  
  
Mr Jim Cousins (Newcastle upon Tyne Central):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what announcements he has made to date concerning the date on which the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 will become fully operational; and when he expects the Act to become fully operational.
(143853)
51  
N  
Mrs Margaret Ewing (Moray):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what plans he has to introduce a lower levy rate in respect of the aggregates levy for quarries that generate lower environmental costs.
(143185)
52  
N  
Mrs Margaret Ewing (Moray):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what plans he has to introduce a lower aggregates levy rate in (a) remote and sparsely populated areas and (b) areas with limited opportunities for recycling secondary aggregates.
(143186)
53  
  
Dr Brian Iddon (Bolton South East):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement on the administrative charges to be levied by the Financial Services Ombudsman for the handling of complaints; and what steps he is taking to ensure that charges will not be substantially greater than the sums likely to be dealt with in relation to complaints about low cost healthcare cash plans offered by not-for-profit organisations.
(143678)
54  
  
Dr Brian Iddon (Bolton South East):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many peple contribute annually to low cost healthcare cash plans; and what steps he is taking to assist such schemes.
(143679)
55  
  
Dr Brian Iddon (Bolton South East):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what steps he is taking to ensure that compliance with the financial services legislation is not disproportionately burdensome for not-for-profit organisations offering low cost healthcare cash plans; what recent representations he has received on this matter; and if he will make a statement.
(143677)
56  
  
Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford and Southend East):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement on (a) the Maastricht Deficit referred to in table C of the Budget 2000 publication HC 346 and (b) how he calculated the windfall tax receipts and associated spending.
(143674)
57  
  
Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford and Southend East):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what estimate he has made of the net contributions to the EU in 2001.
(143673)
58  
  
Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford and Southend East):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement on the content and purpose of table B20 of the Pre-Budget Report.
(143676)
59  
  
Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford and Southend East):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement on the item on EC contributions in table B20 of the Pre-Budget Report; and which particular sums are included within the figures quoted.
(143675)
60  
  
Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford and Southend East):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what the average net payment to the EU was in each of the last 11 years.
(143672)
61  
  
Mr Douglas Alexander (Paisley South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list those countries which his Department believes sponsor terrorism.
(143641)
62  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, where he expects the Antarctic Environmental Protocol Secretariat to be located; and what the United Kingdom financial and staffing contributions will be.
(143413)
63  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what the total United Kingdom contribution has been to MINURSO since its establishment; and if he will make a statement on United Kingdom policy concerning its future.
(143414)
64  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what British representations there has been at the recent legal action in Chile against Augusto Pinochet Ugarte.
(143396)
65  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list those documents held by his Department concerning United Kingdom relations with Chile from 1970 to 1990; how many of these have been made public; and what plans he has to publish the remainder.
(143400)
66  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what access to documents relating to Operation Condor held in Asuncion, Paraguay, officials from his Department have had.
(143409)
67  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what meetings have been held by staff of the British Embassy in Santiago with (a) human rights groups, (b) lawyers and (c) the Pinochet Foundation since October 1998.
(143401)
68  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations have been made to the Government of Morocco concerning the future Government of Western Sahara.
(143417)
69  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what meetings his Department has held with representatives of the Polisario Front concerning the future of the Western Sahara.
(143418)
70  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the documents held by his Department concerning Operation Condor, indicating those that are in the public domain; and what plans he has to release the remainder.
(143398)
71  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what actions have been taken recently at the United Nations to ensure that the proposed referendum on the future of the Western Sahara takes place.
(143419)
72  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations have been made to the Government of Chile concerning the deaths of William Beausire and Father Michael Woodward; and if he will make a statement.
(143397)
73  
N  
Ms Jenny Jones (Wolverhampton South West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what issues under Protocol 12 of the European Convention on Human Rights he has assessed as being unacceptably open-ended and uncertain.
(142854)
74  
  
Mr Peter Lilley (Hitchin and Harpenden):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, which areas of responsibility previously within the competence of the EU institutions have been devolved to member states under the subsidiarity clause in the Maastricht Treaty.
(143760)
75  
  
Mr Michael Trend (Windsor):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, pursuant to his Answer of 15th December, Official Report, column 298W, on Belarus, what criteria the British Council uses to assess the importance of countries to the UK.
(143838)
76  
  
Mr Hilary Benn (Leeds Central):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, from what date shared rooms in independent care homes for the elderly and mentally ill must form no more than 20 per cent. of places in such homes; and if he will make a statement.
(143851)
77  
N  
Mr Simon Burns (West Chelmsford):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, for what reason the average length of hospital waiting lists for the period May 1997 to September 2000 in Mid-Essex were different from the length of waiting lists on 31st March 1997.
(143114)
78  
  
Mr Jim Cousins (Newcastle upon Tyne Central):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many haemophiliac patients have died of HIV/AIDS following the use of contaminated blood products; and how many of these have been co-infected with hepatitis.
(143854)
79  
  
Mr Jim Cousins (Newcastle upon Tyne Central):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, for what reasons it is his policy that haemophiliac patients should not be entitled to have recombinant factor VIII.
(143852)
80  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what additional financial funding will be made available to voluntary sector homes towards the payment of the increase in the London weighting allowance to take place in April 2001; and if he will make a statement.
(143759)
81  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, who the members of the group of experts established to consider the funding of nursing care will be; how they will be selected; and if he will ensure that the group contains representation from voluntary sector nursing homes.
(143758)
82  
N  
Sandra Gidley (Romsey):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will publish the current list of GP practices in England which offer exercise on prescription.
(143115)
83  
  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what representations he has received on the incidence of bed-blocking in York and North Yorkshire.
(143839)
84  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what assessment he has made of the most effective method for the disposal of clinical waste; and what advice he gives to NHS trusts.
(143321)
85  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what assessment has he made of the cost and safety impact of transporting clinical waste and of the average distances such waste is carried.
(143323)
86  
N  
Mr Tony Worthington (Clydebank and Milngavie):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what the total annual cost to the NHS is for disposal of clinical waste.
(143322)
87  
N  
Mr Adrian Bailey (West Bromwich West):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what plans he has to improve the resourcing of the West Midlands police.
(143111)
88  
N  
Mr Adrian Bailey (West Bromwich West):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make it his policy to resist pressure by the German Government on the European Union to have the Staffordshire bull terrier classified as a dangerous breed of dog.
(143113)
89  
N  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what progress has been made in his discussions with the Department of Trade and Industry on lengths of time for animal experiment project licence applications; and if he will make a statement.
(143405)
90  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what standard questions are put to non-EU nationals with permanent residence in the United Kingdom when they re-enter through United Kingdom ports.
(143410)
91  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what the total expenditure by the Metropolitan Police in Islington was, how many serving officers there were and what the establishment level authorised was, in each of the past five years; and what the equivalent figures are projected to be for 2001-02.
(143402)
92  
  
Tom Cox (Tooting):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will consult with local residents on the opening of a hostel for former high risk convicted prison inmates in the Bedford ward, Tooting.
(143757)
93  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many public order offences have been committed (a) in and (b) in the the close vicinity of football stadiums in (i) 2000 and (ii) the previous 20 years; and if he will make a statement.
(143643)
94  
  
Ms Oona King (Bethnal Green and Bow):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on the implications of the European Court of Justice's judgement in case C-37/98 R v SSHD ex parte Savas Judgement (11th May 2000) on the rules applicable to Turkish nationals, lawfully in the UK, who wish to apply to vary their leave to establish themselves in business in the United Kingdom; and if he will apply the Immigration Rules 1973, HC509 and HC510, to such individuals.
(143770)
95  
N  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment he has made of the impact on British subjects of the legal status and definition of EU citizenship.
(143585)
96  
N  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what recent representations he has received concerning the legal status and definition of EU citizenship.
(143584)
97  
N  
Gillian Merron (Lincoln):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what guidelines he will publish in respect of the Criminal Records Bureau for (a) employers, (b) employees and (c) service users.
(143630)
98  
N  
Gillian Merron (Lincoln):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what the dates are, in respect of the Criminal Records Bureau, for the commencement of (a) registration of employers, (b) high level checks for work involving contact with young children and (c) remaining service provision.
(143628)
99  
N  
Gillian Merron (Lincoln):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on the procedure for applying for a certificate from the Criminal Records Bureau.
(143631)
100  
N  
Gillian Merron (Lincoln):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when the Criminal Records Bureau will be fully operational.
(143627)
101  
N  
Gillian Merron (Lincoln):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what the (a) format, (b) estimated cost and (c) estimated time from request to provision of certificates will be from the Criminal Records Bureau.
(143629)
102  
  
Mr Richard Page (South West Hertfordshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he will respond to the representations of Dr Rosemary Lee of Northwood, Middlesex, concerning the Police Information Technology Organisation.
(143754)
103  
  
Mr Eric Pickles (Brentwood and Ongar):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will ensure that emergency calls dialling 999 from Essex addresses are routed to Essex Police.
(143665)
104  
  
Mr Eric Pickles (Brentwood and Ongar):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many police stations closed in Essex in each year since 1997.
(143666)
105  
  
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment he has made of the number of asylum seekers' vouchers presented at designated stores; and if he will make a statement.
(143639)
106  
  
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what his timetable is for the review of vouchers for asylum seekers; and if he will make a statement.
(143638)
107  
  
Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, if she will make a statement on Government participation in the UN Conference in Bonn on desertification.
(143768)
108  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, when he plans to appoint the new Chief Executive of the Greater London Magistrates' Courts Authority; and if he will make a statement.
(143654)
109  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what analysis his Department has made of the reasons for delays in processing juvenile criminal cases in the magistrates' courts system; and if he will place a copy in the Library.
(143646)
110  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what estimate he has made of the combined budgets of magistrates' courts in Greater London for the financial years (a) 1989-99, (b) 1999-2000 and (c) 2000-01.
(143650)
111  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, if he will make it his policy to include, in statistics he collects on the performance of magistrates' courts, data on the performance of (a) the Crown Prosecution Service, (b) the Police and (c) other linked organisations.
(143648)
112  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, when he expects to finalise the detailed financial arrangements, with particular reference to the accounting rules, for the Greater London Magistrates' Courts Authority; and if he will make a statement.
(143644)
113  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what estimate he has made of (a) the cost total of transferring police officers to the Greater London Magistrates' Courts Authority and (b) the pension liabilities involved.
(143652)
114  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what analysis his Department has made of the impact of the performance of the Crown Prosecution Service into the overall time taken by the criminal justice system in dealing with juvenile criminal cases; and if he will make a statement.
(143647)
115  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what estimate he has made of the transitional costs of replacing separate magistrates' courts in Greater London with the Greater London Magistrates' Courts Authority arising in (a) 2000-01, (b) 2001-02 and (c) 2002-03.
(143651)
116  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, when the budget for the Greater London Magistrates' Court Authority in 2001--02 will be announced; and if he will make a statement.
(143649)
117  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, how many meetings ministers in his Department had with justices' chief executives of magistrates' courts in England and Wales in each calendar year between 1990 and 1999; and how many such meetings have been held in 2000.
(143645)
118  
  
Mr Edward Davey (Kingston and Surbiton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what guidance he has asked the Greater London Magistrates' Courts Authority to provide for individual local magistrates' courts in respect of bills they may have to meet in 2001-02 in the absence of a formal budget allocation from the GLMCA; and if he will make a statement.
(143653)
119  
N  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what arrangements have been made to publicise the availability of the quarterly volumes of reported social security commissioners' decisions in loose-leaf format to (a) advice agencies, (b) law centres, (c) social security practitioners in legal aid firms and (d) law libraries.
(143622)
120  
N  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, when the Lord Chancellor's Department will update the Court Service website information concerning the Social Security and Child Support Commissioners to reflect changes in procedure and time limits since 1st June 1999.
(143620)
121  
N  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what steps are being made to ensure that the Department of Social Security and Court Service websites give details of how to obtain the quarterly volumes of reported commissioners' decisions.
(143623)
122  
N  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, where claimants and their advisers can obtain the quarterly loose-leaf binders of reported commissioners' decisions; and how much each volume will cost.
(143621)
123  
N  
Sir John Stanley (Tonbridge and Malling):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, if the Government has notified the President of the European Council of its intention to opt into the negotiations on the proposal for a Council Regulation on the mutual enforcement of judgments on rights of access to children.
(143407)
124  
  
Mr Kevin McNamara (Kingston upon Hull North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how many recommendations were made by the Special Investigations Branch, Royal Military Police concerning the Royal Irish Regiment group photograph published in The Anderstown News on 15th January; how many have been implemented; and if he will place in the Library the non-personnel conclusions and police recommendations of the SIB report.
(143753)
125  
  
Mr Kevin McNamara (Kingston upon Hull North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what the result was of administrative action taken against the Company Commander found responsible for arranging the Royal Irish Regiment group photograph, published in The Anderstown News on 15th January; what consideration was given to taking action against those who posed for the photograph; what contacts the RIR unit has had subsequently with the Loyal Orange Lodge; on what date further guidance about posing with sectarian emblems was issued to units deployed around the Drumcree area; what guidance is available to units of the RIR deployed elsewhere in Northern Ireland; and if he will place a copy of the further guidance in the Library.
(143752)
126  
N  
Mr Adrian Bailey (West Bromwich West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what steps he is taking to improve the functioning of the Benefits Agency Winter Fuel Payments Helpline.
(143112)
127  
N  
Mr John Butterfill (Bournemouth West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many people have contracted back into SERPS from COMPS and approved personal pensions in each of the last three years; and how many COMPS there were in each of the last three years.
(143367)
128  
N  
Mr John Butterfill (Bournemouth West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what assessment he has made of the effect of the 9 per cent. cap on the contracting out decisions of people from SERPS.
(143366)
129  
N  
Mr John Butterfill (Bournemouth West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what plans the Government has to change the 9 per cent. cap on SERPS pension rebates.
(143365)
130  
N  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what discussions he has had with interested organisations and representative groups about the payment of social security benefits to recipients who are unlikely to have any form of bank account after the proposed change to the ACT system from 2003.
(143587)
131  
N  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what assessment he has made of the effectiveness of using the LINK electronic banking network for the distribution of social security benefits to recipients who do not possess a bank account.
(143580)
132  
N  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what estimate he has made of the interest lost on late claimed and unclaimed social security benefits paid through post offices; and if he will make a statement.
(143586)
133  
  
Mrs Jacqui Lait (Beckenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, to the latest date for which figures are available, how many responses there have been to the minimum income guarantee take up campaign; how many pensioners (a) received and (b) were refused the minimum income guarantee; how many of those who were refused had too much capital; and of those who claimed, how many would not be eligible under the new income rules.
(143849)
134  
  
Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, if he will pilot ways of increasing the take up of benefits by using local authorities to help identify and contact those likely to qualify; and if he will make a statement.
(143761)
135  
N  
Mr David Willetts (Havant):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many of this year's winter fuel payments were sent out to pensioners by 18th December; and how many were outstanding.
(143625)
136  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Solicitor General, what information is held by his Department concerning private prosecutions concerning the deaths of William Beausire in Chile in 1975 and Father Michael Woodward.
(143408)
137  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, when the consultation document on the review of implementation of the Acquired Rights Directive 1998 will be published; if arrangements are in place for the Directive's incorporation into UK law by July 2001; and if he will make a statement.
(143438)
138  
N  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what discussions he has had with post office representatives concerning the potential usage by post offices of the LINK electronic banking network.
(143581)
139  
N  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what discussions he has had with the LINK Interchange Network about the proposals for a universal bank.
(143583)
140  
N  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what examination he has made of the establishment and running costs of the proposed universal bank; and if he will integrate the Horizon platform into the existing LINK electronic banking network and make an estimate of the costs associated.
(143582)
141  
  
Mr Nigel Evans (Ribble Valley):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, what the average farmer's income was in (a) Wales and (b) the smallest regional area applicable to each constituency in Wales, in each of the last 10 years.
(143642)
142  
  
Mr Eric Pickles (Brentwood and Ongar):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what programme of maintenance of waterways exists in the parliamentary constituency of Brentwood and Ongar.
[Transferred] (143664)
143  
  
Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what steps he is taking to protect historic field systems from damage.
[Transferred] (143767)
144  
  
Mr Eric Pickles (Brentwood and Ongar):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what proportion of the funds announced in the Autumn Statement for additional capital projects in secondary schools (a) was new money and (b) flowed from previous announcements.
[Transferred] (143671)


Contents, today's questions
 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 2000
Revised 20 December 2000