CONDUCT IN THE CHAMBER
SUMMARY OF RECOMMENDATIONS
- Extra time should be allowed
for interventions in short speeches (paragraph 16).
- The Speaker should be given
discretion to impose a variable time limit on speeches (paragraph
- Details of any proposed speech
limit should be put out in advance on the PDVN (paragraph 20).
- The Speaker need be under
no obligation to give precedence to Privy Councillors in debate
- The rule banning direct quotation
from speeches made in the House of Lords in the current session
should be abolished (paragraph 33).
- The constituency as well
as the name of the Member who has the floor should be displayed
on annunciators which are visible in the Chamber (paragraph 39).
- The Speaker should inform
a Member who has failed to observe the courtesies of debate that
he or she need not expect to get priority in being called to speak
- The absolute ban on direct
quotations in supplementary questions should be lifted (paragraph
- The practice of spying strangers
should be abolished, and Members should be able to claim an immediate
division on a motion to proceed to the next business (paragraph
- A new procedure for raising
points of order during divisions should be adopted (paragraph
- Members who are named by
the Chair should lose their parliamentary salary for the period
of their suspension (paragraph 69).